Kill

An Chill

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                 Kill

Civil Parish:                              Ballindoon

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Errislannan

Area:                                         299.45 acres / 299 acres, 1 rood, 31 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Map

Galway Library for Kill

Logainm for Kill

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Kill

 

1911 Census for Kill

Overview of Kill in 1911

There were a total of 6 houses in the townland of Kill and 5 were occupied. House 2 was unoccupied and was listed as being a lodge, the landholder was Henrietta Jane Heather. The houses were all built of stone, brick or concrete walls and house 1 had slate, iron or tiles for roofing and houses 3, 4, 5 and 6 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofs. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling, houses 3 and 5 were 2nd class and houses 2 and 4 were 3rd class. The occupied houses were all listed as being private dwellings. House 6 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 1 window in the front, house 4 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows, houses 3 and 5 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows and house 1 had 13 or more rooms and 7 windows in the front. There were a total of 29 out buildings consisting of 3 stables, a coach house, a harness room, 4 cow houses, a calf house, a dairy, 4 piggeries, 3 fowl houses, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, a potato house, a workshop, 4 sheds, a store and a laundry. There was a total of 26 people in the townland at that time, 12 males and 14 females. 1 male and 4 females were Church of Ireland and 11 males and 10 females were Roman Catholic. The enumerator was Constable James Boland.

 

Heather                                   (additional surnames: Henry and Conneely)

The head of the first family in Kill was the widow Henrietta Jane (73) who had been married for 45 years and had had 7 children and she shared then house with her son, John Williamson Campbell (40), her 3 daughters, Henrietta Jane (38), Eva Madeline (37) and Edyth (sic) Maud Mary (32), a domestic servant, Annie Henry (35), a general man domestic servant, Thomas Conneely (30) and an agricultural labourer, John Conneely (16). All the members of the Heather family were Protestant Episcopalian and Henrietta Jane (73) was born in Dublin City, John Williamson Campbell was born in Co. Mayo and the 3 daughters were all born in Co. Sligo. Annie was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Sligo and Thomas and John were both Roman Catholic and were born in Co. Galway. Thomas and John spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others, which could indicate that they only spoke English. They could all read and write. Henrietta Jane (73) was a landowner, John Williamson Campbell was a farmer, Edyth (sic) Maud Mary, Annie and Thomas were domestic servants and John was a farm labourer. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 13 or more rooms and they had a stable, a coach house, a harness room, a cow house, a calf house, a dairy, a piggery, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, a potato house, a workshop, 4 sheds, a store and a laundry. The landholder was Henrietta Jane Heather.

 

Molloy

The widow Mary (67) was listed as the sole occupant of this house and she was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. She spoke Irish and English, could not read and was listed as a farmer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and she had a cow house, piggery and fowl house. The landholder was Mary Molloy.

 

Mannion

The head of this family was Michael (77) and he had been married to Barbra (77) for 50 years and they had had 8 children, of which 5 had survived. They shared the house with their widowed daughter-in-law, Mary (45) and their grandson, John (8). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, except for John, who only spoke English and only John could read and write. Michael was a farmer and John was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Michael Mannion.

 

McDonagh

Festy (37) was the head of this family and he had been married to Honor (35) for 10 years and they had had 6 children and all had survived. They shared the house with 5 of those children, Bridget (9), Patrick (8), John (5), Michael (3) and William (1). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Festy and Honor were listed as being able to speak both Irish and English and Festy, Honor, Bridget and Patrick could read and write. Festy was a farmer, Bridget was a farmer’s daughter and the sons were all listed as farmer’s sons. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a fowl house. The landholder was Festy McDonagh.

 

Lyden                          (additional surnames: Coyne and Malley)

The head of the last house in Kill was the widow, Sarah Coyne (81) and she shared the house with her daughter Bridget Lyden (45), also a widow, her granddaughters, Mary Lyden (15) and Delia Lyden (12) and her grandsons, John Lyden (14) and Patrick Malley (8). They were all born in Galway and were Roman Catholic, although there was no place of birth for Delia and Patrick. Sarah spoke Irish and English and all the others only spoke English. Sarah could not read, Patrick could read only and all the others could read and write. Sarah was a herd, Bridget was a farm labourer and John, Delia and Patrick were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was William Conneely.

 

1901 Census for Kill

Overview of Kill in 1901

There were 9 houses in the townland of Kill and 8 of those were occupied. House 5 was unoccupied but the landholder was Walter Wall. House 3 was a private dwelling and a I.C. mission school while all the others were private dwellings. All the houses were constructed of stone. Brick or concrete walls and houses 3, 6 and 7 had slate, iron or tiled roofs and the others all had only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Houses 1-3 and 7 were 2nd class dwellings and houses 4, 6, 8 and 9 were 3rd class. Houses 6, 8 and 9 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 1 window in the front, houses 4 and 7 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front, houses 1 and 2 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows and house 3 had 5 or 6 rooms and 4 windows in the front. There was a total of 9 out buildings consisting of a stable, 3 cow houses, a piggery, a turf house and a 3 potato houses. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were a total of 29 people in the townland at that time, 10 males and 19 females. 2 males and 4 females were protestant and the others were all Roman Catholic. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant William Sullivan.

 

Coyne                          (additional surname: Lyden)

Patrick (79) was the head of the first house and he was married to Sarah (70). They shared the house with their widowed daughter, Bridget Lyden (35) and their grandchildren, Mary (5), John (4) and Delia (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick, Sarah and Bridget all spoke Irish and English and only Bridget could read and write. Patrick was a farmer and Bridget was a farmer’s daughter. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was Patrick Coyne.

 

McDonough

Festus (27) was the head of this family and he was married to Honor (23) and they shared the house with their daughter Mary (6 mths) and Festus’ widowed mother, Mary (60). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, except for baby Mary. Festus and Mary could read and write. Festus was a farmer and Honor was a farmer’s wife. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a piggery and a potato house. The landholder was Festus McDonough.

 

Lyden                          (additional surnames: McDonald)

James (64) was the head of this family in house 3 and he was married to Delia (58) and they shared the house with 2 of their daughters, Louisa (30) and Emily (21) and 2 grandchildren Charles McDonald (16) and Alice McDonald (14). They were all members of the Irish Church and Charles and Alice were born in America and the others were all born in Co. Galway. James and Delia spoke Irish and English. All could read and write. James was a scripture reader, Emily was a schoolmistress and Charles and Alice were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 5 or 6 rooms and they had a cow house and a turf house. The landholder was James Lyden.

 

Telford

The widow Anne (62) was listed as then head of this household and she shared the house with her daughter, Margaret Jane (23). They were both Church of Ireland and born in Co. Galway. Anne spoke Irish and English and Margaret Jane spoke only English. Both could read and write. Anne was a farmer and Margaret Jane was a farmer’s daughter. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house and a potato house. The landholder was Anne Telford.

 

Brennan

Mary (84) was the sole occupant of house 6 and she was a born in Co. Galway and was a Roman Catholic. She spoke Irish and English, could not read and was listed as being a general servant domestic. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was Walter Wall.

 

King

Michael (27) was the head of this family and he was married to Lizzie (27). They were both Roman Catholic and Michael was born in Co. Galway and Lizzie was born in Co. Kildare. Michael could speak both Irish and English and Lizzie spoke only English. Both could read and write. Michael was a rural postman. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was Walter Wall.

 

Mannion

Michael (60) was the head of this family and he was married to Barbara (60) and they shared the house with their son, Patrick (30) and their grandson, Annie (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, except for young Annie. None of the family could read. Michael was a farmer, Barbara was a farmer’s wife and Patrick was a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was Michael Mannion.

 

Molloy

Mathias (50) was listed as the head of the family in the last house in Kill and he was married to Mary (50). They shared the house with 2 of their children, Patrick (15) and Anne (13). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only Patrick and Anne could read and write. Mathias was a farmer, Patrick was a farmer’s wife and Anne was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a potato house. The landholder was Mathias Molloy.

 

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Kill

Harriet Connolly – Application No. C/20 6951, Ref No. Sen S/11/296. The application was received on 24th June 1920 with an address at that time of Mrs. Harriet Buist  (sic), 24 St Georges Road, Waterloo, Nr. Liverpool. Harriet’s birthday was 12th March 1850. Her parent’s names were given as being Bartley and Anne Connolly (Mills). The townlands listed for the search were Kill, Keerhaun North, Curhownagh, Drinagh, Derryeighter, Maum and Ballinaboy. All were in the Parish of Ballindoon, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on 29th June 1920 with handwritten notes saying “Bartley and Anne Connolly married 1842, Harriet 1yr daughter”

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Kill

The Rev. Richard Wall leased a house and offices on 134 acres, 1 rood and 6 perches of land from the Lord Bishop of Tuam for £34 for the land and £10 for the buildings and also a herd’s house for 10s. The Rev. Richard Wall then leased 4 tenements, Judith King leased a house on 22 acres, 1 rood and 36 perches of land for £3 for the land and 6s for the house, Judith Lydon leased a house on 18 acres, 2 roods and 17 perches of land for £2 15s for the land and 6s for the house, Simon Lydon and Edward Conneely jointly leased houses on 11 acres, 2 roods and 4 perches of land for which they each paid £1 12s for land and 10s for their houses and Patrick Lydon leased a house on 11 acres, 1 rood and 33 perches of land for £3 10s for the land and 10s for the house. Patrick Gorham leased a house from Patrick Lydon for 10s. The Irish Church Mission Society leased a school house on 1 acre and 20 perches of land from the Rev. Richard Wall for 10s for the land and £1 10s for the school house. John McDonough leased a house on 37 acres, 2 roods and 2 perches of land from Rev. Richard Wall for £5 12s for the land and 3s for the house, James Lydon leased a house and office on 12 acres and 39 perches for £3 for the land and 10s for the buildings, John McDonnell and Patrick Burke jointly leased houses on 12 acres, 3 roods and 29 perches of land for which they both paid £2 5s for the land and John paid 7s for his house and Patrick paid 6s for his house. The Rev. Richard Wall leased 12 acres, 2 roods and 17 perches of bog for 3s and there were also 14 acres, 3 roods and 32 perches of water in the townland. There was an exemption of 10s for land and £1 10s a school house belonging to the Irish Church Mission Society.

 

1670 Down Survey for Kill

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Kieele. The 1641 owner (pre Cromwell) was the Catholic Murrogh O’Flahartye and in 1670 the owner was the Catholic Anthony French. There were 248 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 27 plantation acres of profitable land and 27 plantation acres were forfeited.

This page was added on 11/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *