Emlaghmore

Imleach Mór

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                Emlaghmore

Civil Parish:                              Ballindoon

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Bunowen

Poor Law Union:                     No Records

Area:                                         1131.59 acres / 1131 acres, 2 roods, 13 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Emlaghmore  (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Emlaghmore

Logaimn for Emlaghmore

NUI Galway Digital Collection for Emlaghmore

 

1911 Census for Emlaghmore

Overview of Emlaghmore in 1911

In the DED of Bunowen the houses in the census were listed sequentially through the whole DED and, so, in the townland of Emlaghmore, the 13 houses were listed as houses 198 to 210.

 

There were a total of 13 houses in the townland of Emlaghmore and all were listed as being private dwellings. House 199 was unoccupied at the time of the census. House 199 was a 1st class dwelling, houses 198, 200, 201, 203, 204 and 206 were 2nd class dwellings and the others were all 3rd class. All the houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 205 and 207-210 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing and the other houses all had slate, iron or tiled roofs. House 207 had 1 room and 1 window in the front, house 202 had 1 room and 2 windows, house 208 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 1 window and houses 209 and 210 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Houses 200, 201, 203, 204 and 206 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows in the front, house 198 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 4 windows and house 199 had 13 or more rooms and 4 windows in the front. There were a total of 21 out buildings consisting of 2 stables, a coach house, 13 cow houses, 2 piggeries, 2 fowl houses and a shed. There were a total of 51 people in the townland at the time of this census and those consisted of 28 males and 23 females. 2 males and 2 females were Church of Ireland and the others were all Roman Catholic. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant Daniel Brougham.

 

DeCourcy

The head of the first house in Emlaghmore was Stephen (84) and he was married to Margaret (73) and had been for 50 years and they had had 14 children, of which only 9 had survived. They shared the house with their son, Robert (24) and their daughter, Lucy (20). They were all Protestant Episcopalians and born in Co. Galway and Stephen and Margaret spoke Irish and English and Robert and Lucy spoke only English. They could all read and write. Stephen was a scripture reader, Margaret was a housekeeper and Robert was a farmer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery, a fowl house and a shed. There was no landholder listed.

 

Gould

John (73) was the head of this family and he had been married to Mary (59) for 40 years and in that time they had had 12 children and 9 of those had survived. They lived in the house with 5 of their sons, Michael (35), Festy (28), Tom (20), Patk (18) and Willie (16). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John, Mary, Michael and Festy spoke Irish and English and Tom, Patk and Willie spoke English only. Apart from Mary, they could all read and write. John was listed as being a farmer, Michael and Festy were fishermen, Tom and Patk were farmer’s sons and Willie was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. There was no landholder listed.

 

McDonagh

The head of the family in house 201 was Thomas (69) and he had been married to Bridget (60) for 40 years and they had had 12 children but only 9 had survived. They shared the house with 3 of those children, Margaret (19), Daniel (16) and John (11). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, except John, who only spoke English. Only the children could read and write. Thomas was a framer, Margaret was a farmer’s daughter, Daniel was a farmer’s son and John was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable and a cow house. There was no landholder listed.

 

Mannion

Martin (61) was listed as the head of this family in house 202 and he had been married to Margaret (58) for 25 years and they had had 5 children, of which 3 had survived. Those 3 children lived with them at that time and they were, Michael (24), Mary (21) and Delia (18). They were all born in Co. Galway, except Margaret, who was born in Co. Mayo and they were all Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and, apart from Martin, they could all read and write. Martin was a gamekeeper, Margaret was a house keeper and Michael was a farmer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with a single room and they had a cow house. There was no landholder listed.

 

Joyce

The head of this family was John (69) and he had been married to Mary (72) for 43 years and they had had 4 children and 3 of those had survived. Also in the house at that time were, their son, John (41) who had been married to Margaret (40) for 9 years and they had 2 children, John (8) and Festus (6). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John (8) and Festus spoke only English, while the others spoke both Irish and English. Only John (41), Margaret and John (8) could read and write. John (69) and John (41) were farmers, Mary was a housekeeper and John (8) was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. There was no landholder listed.

 

McHugh                                  (additional surname: Conneely)

The widow, Honor (73) was the head of this family and she shared the house with her son Thomas (35), Matthew (28), who was married to Mary (34) and had been for 4 years and they had 2 children, John (3) and Michael (1) and also in the house was Honor’s sister, Celia Conneely (62). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from John and Michael, who only spoke English, they could all speak Irish and English. Only Thomas, Matthew and Mary could read and write. Thomas and Matthew were farmer’s sons and Celia was a lodger. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. There was no landholder listed.

 

Conneely

The widow Mary (56) was listed as the head of this family and she lived in the house with 3 of her children, Michael (21), Bridget (18) and Patrick (14). They were all Roman Catholic and Michael was born in Scotland and the others were all born in Co. Galway. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and the children could all read and write.  Michael was a farmer’s son and Patrick was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with a single room and they had a cow house. There was no landholder listed.

 

Conneely                                 (additional surname: Joyce)

The widower Michael (85) was the head of this family in house 206 and he shared it with 2 of his children, John (26) and Ellen Joyce (28), who had been married for 8 years and had 1 child but there was no husband mentioned in this entry, also in the house was a grandson, John Joyce (7). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael and Ellen spoke Irish and English and John (26) spoke only English. Only Ellen and John (7) could read and write. Michael was a farmer, John (26) was a farm labourer and John (7) was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. There was no landholder listed.

 

Coursey

Lawrence (80) was the head of this family and he had been married to Catherine (71) for 51 years and they had had 10 children, but only 1 had survived. They shared the house with that daughter, Mary (24). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only Mary could read and write. Lawrence was a farmer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 1 room and they had a cow house. There was no landholder listed.

 

Joyce                           (additional surname: O’Donnell)

The widow Margaret (75) was listed as the head of this family and she lived in the house with her widowed daughter, Mary O’Donnell (36) and her granddaughter, Mary J. O’Donnell (8). They were all Roman Catholic and Margaret and Mary were born in Co. Galway and Mary J. was born in America. Mary and Margaret spoke Irish and English and Mary J. spoke only English. Mary and Mary J. could read and write. Mary J. was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. There was no landholder listed.

 

Conneely

The widow Anne Conneely (Patt) (80) was the sole occupant of house 209 and she was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. She spoke Irish and English but could not read. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and she had a cow house. There was no landholder listed.

 

McDonagh

The widow Celia (76) was the head of the last family in Emlaghmore and she shared the house with her son, John (45). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English, but neither could read. John was a farm labourer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. There was no landholder listed.

 

1901 Census for Emlaghmore

Overview of Emlaghmore in 1901

The census of 1901 shows that there were 9 houses in the townland and all, apart from house 9, were occupied. The landholder of house 9 was George Neville of Sailisbury (sic). The houses were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls with houses 1 and 2 having slate, iron or tiled roofs and the others had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Houses 1 and 2 were 2nd class dwellings and the rest were all 3rd class. House 4 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 1 window in the front, houses 1, 3 and 6-8 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front and house 2 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 4 windows in the front. There were a total of 11 out buildings consisting of 5 stables and 6 cow houses. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were a total of 32 people in the townland at that time, 16 males and 16 females with 2 males and 3 females being Church of Ireland and the rest were all Roman Catholic. The enumerator for the area was Const. John Kane.

 

Courcey

The head of the first house in Emlaghmore was the widow Ellen (31) and she shared the house with 3 of her children, Patrick (9), Mary (6) and John (4). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, except John, who only spoke English. Mary could read only, and Patrick could read and write. Ellen was a housekeeper and the children were all scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was George Neville of Sailisbury.

 

Courcey

Stephen (68) was listed as the head of this family and he was married to Margreat (sic) (60) and they lived in the house with 3 of their children, Lizzie (18), Robert (12) and Lucey (9). They were all Church of Ireland and were born in Co. Galway. Stephen, Margreat (sic) and Lizzie spoke Irish and English and Robert and Lucey spoke only English. Stephen was a farmer, Margreat was a housekeeper and their children were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was Stephen Courcey.

 

McDonough                            (additional surname: Kean)

The widow Celia (60) was the head of this family and she shared the house with her son, John (35) and an unspecified relative, Mary Kean (8). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and Mary could read only. Celia was a wool weaver, John was a farmer and Mary was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was Celia McDonough.

 

Conneely

Michael (68) was the head of the family in house 4 and he was married to Bridget (50) and they lived in the house with their daughter, Ellen (17) and their son, John (14). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and only Ellen and John could read and write. Michael was a farmer, Ellen was a farmer’s daughter and John was a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable. The landholder was Michael Conneely.

 

Conneely

The widow Anne (60) was listed as being the head of this family and she lived with her son, Thomas (25). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English but only Thomas could read and write. Anne was a farmer and Thomas was a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was Anne Conneely.

 

Coursey

Lawrence (60) was the head of the family in house 6 and he was married to Kate (60) and they shared then house with 2 of their children, Joe (23) and Mary (14). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only Mary could read and write. Lawrence was a farmer, Joe was a farmer’s son and Mary was a farmer’s daughter. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was Lawrence Coursey.

 

Joyce                           (additional surname: Sweeney)

Festy (57) was the head of this family and he was married to Margaret (63) and also in the house at that time was their son, John (25) and a visitor, Patt Sweeney (34). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and John and Patt could read and write. Festy was a farmer, John was a farmer’s son and Patt was a soldier. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was Festy Joyce.

 

Conneely

Festy (39) was the head of the last family in Emlaghmore and he was married to Mary (42) and they shared the house with 4 of their children, Mary (18), Michael (11), Bridget (9) and Patrick (8). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Festy, Mary (42) and Mary (18) spoke both Irish and English and Mary (18), Michael and Bridget could read and write. Festy was a farmer and Mary (18), Michael and Bridget were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable. The landholder was Festy Conneely.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Emlaghmore

The main immediate lessor in the townland of Emlaghmore was John K. Boswell and he leased tenements to 8 tenants. Dudley Conneely paid £13s for 22 acres, 3 roods and 13 perches of land, The Irish Church Mission Society leased an agricultural school house and 7 acres and 23 perches of land for £2 5s for the land and £5 for the school and also 1 acre, 2 roods and 35 perches of land for 5s. Michael Connolly leased a house for 8s and Dudley Conneely leased a house and offices on 12 acres and 39 perches of land for £3 for the land and 8s for the buildings. John Coosey (sic) leased 2 tenements, the first was a house on 12 acres, 3 roods and 8 perches of land for £4 15 for the land and 5s for the house and, the second, was 2 acres, 3 roods and 15 perches of land for 12s, Festus Brennan leased offices on 30 acres, 1 rood and 7 perches of land for £10 18s for the land and 7s for the offices and Dudley Conneely leased 14 acres and 1 rood of bog for 5s. Daniel McDonough leased a house and office on 9 acres, 1 rood and 14 perches of land for £3 10s for the land and 10s for the buildings and also 2 acres, 2 roods and 18 perches of land for 12s. Bridget McDonough leased a house from Daniel McDonough for 5s, Patrick Duane leased a house and offices on 13 acres and 28 perches of land from John K. Boswell for £4 10s for the land and 15s for the buildings, Lawrence Coosey (sic) leased a house and offices on 15 acres, 1 rood and 18 perches of land from John K. Boswell for £3 for the land and 10s for the buildings, Michael Conneely leased a house from Lawrence Coosey (sic) for 7s and John K. Boswell owned 6 acres, 3 roods and 24 perches of bog with an annual ratable valuation of 2s. Michael Fitzpatrick leased a herd’s house on 97 acres, 2 roods and 12 perches of land from John K. Boswell for £7 15s for the land and 2s for the herd’s housed and John K. Boswell owned 654 acres and 30 perches of land with an annual ratable valuation of £5.There were also 276 acres, 1 rood and 7 perches of water in the townland. There was an exemption for the Irish Church Missions Society of £2 10s for land and £5 for the school house.

 

1670 Down Survey for Emlaghmor

The Down Survey name for this area was Emloghowere. The 1641 owners were the Catholic, Donnogh O’Doone and James O’Doone. In 1670 the owner was Edward Geoghegan, also a Catholic.

This page was added on 24/04/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *