Leaghcarrick

An Liathcharraig

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                Leaghcarrick

Civil Parish:                              Ballindoon

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Doonloughan

Area:                                         218.54 acres / 218 acres, 2 roods, 6 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Map

Galway Library for Leaghcarrick

Logainm for Leaghcarrick

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Leaghcarrick

 

1911 Census for Leaghcarrick

Overview of Leaghcarrick in 1911

The census of 1911 shows that there were a total of 6 houses, listed as houses 12-17. They were all occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 12 and 15 had only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofs while the others all had slate, iron or tiled roofs. House 15 was a 3rd class dwelling and the others were all 2nd class. House 15 had between 2 and 4 rooms but no windows, house 12 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows and all the other houses had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows in the front. The out-offices and farm-steadings return shows that there were a total of 14 out buildings in the townland and they consisted of 5 stables, 3 cow houses, 5 piggeries and a fowl house. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were a total of 39 people in the townland at that time, 21 males and 18 females. The enumerator was Const. 61317 Michael Rooney.

 

King                            (additional surname: Keane)

The head of the first house in Leaghcarrick was John (72) and he had been married to Anne (40) for 20 years and in that time they had had 9 children and all had survived. They lived in the house with 7 of those children, Henry (18), Norah (16), Patrick (13), Julia (11), Robert (7), Cealia [sic] (5) and John Francis (3) and also in the house was a Cousin, Martin Kearney (70). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John, Anne, Henry, Norah, Patrick and Julia could all speak both Irish and English and they, along with Robert, could read and write. John was a farmer, Henry was a farm labourer and Patrick, Julia and Robert were scholars. The house they all lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had 2 stables, a cow house, a piggery and fowl house. There was no landholder listed for this house.

 

Roche

Patrick (55) was the head of this household and he had been married to Celia (47) for 23 years and in that time they had had 7 children, all of whom had survived. Six of those children lived in the house with them and they were, Mary (22), Patrick (19), Norah (17), Festy (15), Michael (13) and Annie (11). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only Patrick (55) and Celia were listed as speaking Irish and English and Mary and Patrick (19) could read and write. Patrick (55) was listed as being a farmer, Patrick (19) was a farm labourer, Festy was a fisherman and Michael and Annie were scholars. The house they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a cow house and a piggery. There was no landholder listed for this house.

 

Roche

John (46) was listed as the head of this family and he was married but there was no wife listed in this entry. Also in the house at that time were 4 of his children, Festus (12), James (10), Mary (6) and Agnes (8). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only John could speak Irish and English but all the children could read and write. John was a farmer and the children were all listed as being scholars. The house they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a stable and a piggery. There was no landholder listed for this house.

 

Griffin

The head of this household was Matthew (53), who was single and he lived in the house with his sister, Mary (72), also single. They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English and Matthew was a farmer. The house they both lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a piggery. The landholder was John Roche of Leaghcarrick.

 

Conneely

Michael (60) was listed as the head of the family in house 16 and he had been married to Anne (40) for 16 years and they had had 9 children, of which 8 had survived. Those 8 children also lived with them and they were, Michael J. (15), Mary A. (13), Sabina K. (11), Lizzie (10), Patrick Joseph (6), Thomas (8) and twins Martin and Margaret (3). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic with the exception of Michael J., who was born in America. Michael and Anne could speak both Irish and English and Michael J., Mary A., Sabina K., Lizzie and Patrick Joseph could read and write. Michael was listed as being a farmer and Michael J., Mary A., Sabina K., Lizzie and Patrick Joseph were scholars. The house they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a stable and a piggery. There was no landholder listed for this house.

 

McDonagh

The last house in Leaghcarrick had Martin (65) as the head of the family and he was married to Mary (72) and had been for 30 years and in that time they had had 6 children but only 4 had survived. Two of those children were in the house at that time and they were Margaret (20) and Thomas (28). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English except for Margaret. Mary and Thomas could read and write. Martin was a farmer and Thomas was a fisherman. The house they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a stable and a cow house. There was no landholder listed for this house.

 

 

1901 Census for Leaghcarrick

Overview of Leaghcarrick in 1901

The 1901 census shows that there were 5 houses in the townland and all were occupied and were listed as private dwellings. They were all 3rd class houses and were built of stone, brick or concrete walls and had only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 3 had between 2 and 4 rooms and no windows in the front and the others all had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were a total of 11 out buildings, 4 stables, 3 cow houses and 4 piggeries. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were 28 people in the townland at the time of the census, 15 males and 13 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Jeremiah Rahilly [sic]

 

King

John (50) was the head of this, the first family in Leaghcarrick, and he lived in the house with his wife, Anne (31)[i] and 9 of their children, Michael (22), Joseph (20), James (16), Monica (9), Henry (8), Hanora (6), Mary (4), Julia (2) and Patrick (4mths). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John, Anne, Michael, Joseph, James and Monica could speak both Irish and English and, along with Henry, they read and write. John was listed as being a farmer’s shopkeeper, Michael and Joseph were farmer’s sons and James, Monica and Henry were scholars. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was John King.

 

Roche

The head of this family was Patrick (40) and he shared the house with his wife, Celia (35) and 7 of their children, Mary (13), Bridget (11), Patrick (10), Hanora (7), Festy (5), Norah (3) and Anne (4mths). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick (40), Celia, Mary, Bridget and Patrick (10) all spoke Irish and English but only Mary, Bridget and Patrick (10) could read and write. Patrick (40) was a farmer and Mary, Bridget and Patrick (10) were scholars. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable and a piggery. The landholder was Patrick Roche.

 

Griffin

Mary (60) was the sole occupant of house 3 and she was single. She was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. She spoke Irish and English, could read only and was listed as being a dressmaker. The house she lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and she had a piggery. The landholder was John Roche.

 

Roche

John (33) was listed as the head of this household and he lived in the house with his wife, Bridget (31) and their children, Festus (4), James (2) and Patrick (1mth). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John and Bridget could speak both Irish and English but only Bridget could read and write. Joh was listed as a farmer. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was John Roche John.

 

Roche

John (70) was the head of this family in the last house in Leaghcarrick and he shared the house with his wife, Hanora (72). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English but neither could read. John was listed as being a farmer. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was John Roche.

 

Old pension Census (1841-1851) for Leaghcarrick

Stephen Darcy – Application No. C/20 6058. Ref. Cen S/11/298. The application was received on 19th May 1920 with an address at that time of Ballyconneely, Clifden, Co. Galway. Stephen’s parents were given as Patrick and Mary Darcy (Cloonan). The address for the purpose of the 1851 search was given as Illaunamid Island “Slyne Head”, Keerhaunmore, Leaghcarrick, in the Parish of Ballindoon, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on 26th May 1920 with the note “Pat and Mary Darcy married 1844, no return of Stephen”

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Leaghcarrick

The main immediate lessor in the townland of Leaghcarrick was Valentine O’C. Blake and he leased 8 tenements on 200 acres, 1 rood and 2 perches of land to the following tenants: Patrick Walsh leased land for £11 annually, Margaret Conry leased a house, office and land for £11 for the land and 8s for the buildings, Thomas Goold [sic] and John McNamara each leased land for £2 15s each and Patrick Cloherty leased a house and land for £8 5s for the land and 7s for the house. John Roche leased a house and land for £2 15s for the land and 7s for the house, John McDonough leased land for £2 15s and Bartholomew Conneely leased a house and land for £2 15s for the land and 8s for the house.

 

Stephen Griffin leased a house from Bartholomew Conneely for 7s, John Wallace leased a house for 10s from Patrick Cloherty, Bridget Curran leased a house from Patrick Cloherty for 6s and Michael McDonough leased a house from Patrick Cloherty for 8s. There were also 2acres, 1 rood and 1 perch of water in the townland.

 

1670 Down Survey for Leaghcarrick

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Creageacorcron. The pre-Cromwell owner (1641) was the Catholic Murrogh O’Flahartye and in 1670 the owner was the Catholic Edward Geoghegan. There were 44 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 4 plantation acres of profitable land and 4 plantation acres were forfeited.

[i] Maybe Anne was a second wife of Johns because she would had been too young to be the mother of the elder children

This page was added on 11/05/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *