Truska

Troscaigh

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                               Truska

Civil Parish:                              Ballindoon

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Doonloughan

Area:                                         434.34 acres / 434 acres, 1 rood, 13 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Old pension Census (1841-1851) for Truska (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Truska

Logainm for Truska

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Truska

 

1911 Census for Truska

Overview of Truska in 1911

There were 3 houses in the townland of Truska in 1911 and they were number 93-95. They were all occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. They were all built of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 93 was a 2nd class dwelling and 94 and 95 were 3rd class dwellings. House 94 Had between 2 and 4 rooms and 1 window, house 95 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front and house 93 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows. There were a total of 3 out buildings, 2 stables and a cow house. There also 12 males and 8 females living in the townland. The enumerator for the area was Const. 61317 Michael Rooney.

 

Gorham

Michael (50) was listed as the head of this family and he was married to Barbara (45) and had been for 13 years and they had had 5 children, Martin (12), Mary Margaret (10), John (7), Michael (6) and Valentine (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and Barbara, Martin and Mary Margaret could read and write. Michael was a farmer and Martin and Mary Margaret were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable and a cow house. There was no landholder listed for this house.

 

Conneely

The head of the second family in Truska was Patrick (74) and he had been married to Honor (76) for 49 years and in that time they had had 6 children, but only 3 had survived. They shared the house with their son James (40) and 2 grandchildren, Michal [sic] J. (7) and Martin (3). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick, Honor and James spoke Irish and English and Patrick and Michal [sic] J. could read and write. Patrick was a farmer, James was a farmer’s labourer and Michal [sic] J. was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable. There was no landholder listed for this house.

 

Connely [sic]                          (additional surname: Gorham)

The head of the last family in Truska was Mark (46) and he lived with his wife, Bridget (38) who he had been married to for 10 years and they had had 5 children, Mary (8), Bridget (6), John (5), Agnes (3) and Patrick (1) and also in the house was an unspecified relative, Honor Gorham (78), who was a widow. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Mark, Bridget (38), Mary, Bridget (6) and John spoke both Irish and English, Agnes spoke only English and Honor spoke only Irish. Bridget (6) could read only and Mark, Bridget (38) and Mary could read and write. Mark was a herd and Mary and Bridget (6) were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was John Kendal.

 

1901 Census for Truska

Overview of Truska in 1901

There were only the 3 houses in the townland and they were all occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were all built of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. All the houses were 3rd class dwellings and had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were 8 outbuildings, 3 stables, 3 cow houses and 2 piggeries. 13 people, 7 males and 6 females were also in the townland at that time. The enumerator for the area was Const. Jeremiah Rahilly [sic].

 

Gorham

The widow, Mary (80) was listed as the head of this household and she shared the house with her son, Michael (40), her daughter-in-law, Barbara (30) and grandson Martin (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English with the exception of young Martin. Only Barbara could read and write. Mary was a farmer and Michael was a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Mary Gorham.

 

Conneely

Patt (60), who was married to Honor (59), was the head of this family and they shared the house with their son, James (22). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only James could read and write. Patt was a farmer and James was a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Patt Conneely.

 

Duane

The head of the last family was Michael (40) and he was married to Barbara (36) and they lived with their 4 children, Festus (9), Mary (7), Bridget (4) and John (1). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael, Barbara and Festus spoke both Irish and English. Michael, Barbara, Festus and Mary could read and write. Michael was a shepherd and Festus and Mary were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was J. Kendall.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Truska

Patrick Blake was the immediate lessor for the townland and he leased 3 tenements to the following: John Leetle [sic] leased a house and office on 291 acres and 27 perches of land for £30 for the land and 5s for the buildings, Patrick Gorham leased a house and office on 92 acres and 23 perches of land for £22 15s for the land and 18s for the buildings and Mark Halloran leased a house and office on 20 acres, 2 roods and 33 perches of land for £4 for the land and 12s for the buildings. There were also 11 acres and 16 perches of water in the townland.

 

1670 Down Survey for Truska

The Down Survey name for this area was Truskie. The pre Cromwell (1641) owner was

The Catholic, Murrogh O’Flahartye and in 1670, the owner was Edward Geoghegan, also a Catholic. There were 153 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 10 plantation acres of profitable land and 10 plantation acres were forfeited.

This page was added on 11/05/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *