Civil Parish: Ballindoon
Church parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Doonloughan
Area: 46.87 acres / 46 acres, 3 roods, 18 perches
1911 Census for Knock (no records)
Old pension Census (1841-1851) for Knock (no records)
Overview of Knock in 1901
There were only 1 houses in Knock according to the census of 1901 and it was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and was a 3rd class dwelling. It was listed as a private dwelling and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. It had 3 out buildings, a stable, a cow house and a barn. The numerator for the area was Const. Jeremiah Rahilly [sic].
Duane (additional surname: Connolly)
The unmarried Martin (50) was listed as the head of the only house in Knock and he shared the house with his nephew, Mark Connolly (29) and 3 nieces, Annie (20), Kate (17) and Sarah (19). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, with the exception of Sarah. Kate and Sarah could not read, Annie could read only and Martin and Mark could both read and write. Martin and Mark were listed as being farmers and the girls were all domestic servants. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a barn The landholder was Martin Duane.
Patrick Leetle [sic] leased a house and offices on 46 acres, 1 rood and 19 perches of land from Maryanne and Patrick O’Malley for £12 10s for the land and 13s for the buildings.
The 1670 name for this area was Knockananarged. The pre-Cromwell 1641 owners were Murrogh O’Flahartye and Jeffrey Martin, both Catholics and in 1670, the owner was Edward Geoghagan, also a Catholic. There were 128 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 10 plantation acres of profitable land and 10 plantation acres were forfeited.