Civil Parish: Ballindoon
Church parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Doonloughan
Area: 149.72 acres / 149 acres, 2 roods, 35 perches
Old pension Census (1841-1851) for Ballinaleama (no records)
Overview of Ballinaleama in 1911
There was only the 1 house listed in the townland in the 1911 census and it was occupied and was a private dwelling. The house was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. The house was a 2nd class dwelling and had between 2 and 4 rooms. They had 2 stables, a cow house and a piggery. The enumerator for the area was Const. Michael Rooney.
The head of the only house in Ballinaleama was Matthew M. (55) and he was married to Annie (43) and had been for 28 years and in that time they had had 8 children and all whom had survived. They shared the house with those 8 children, Matthew L. (21), John E. (19), Mary T. (17), Delia A. (14), Robert M. (12), Walter F. (10), Belinda A. (8) and Victoria M. (5). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and could read and write with the exception of Victoria M. Matthew M. was a farmer, Matthew L. and John E. were farm labourers and Robert M., Walter F. and Belinda A. were scholars. There was no landholder listed.
Overview of Ballinaleama in 1901
There was only one house in Ballinaleama in 1901 and it was occupied and was listed as being a private dwelling. It was constructed of stone. Brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It was listed as being a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms with 3 windows in the front. They had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The enumerator for the area was Const. Jeramiah Rahilly.
Coneys (additional surname: Kearney)
Mathew M. (38) was listed as the head of the family and he was married to Anna (32) and they shared the house with 6 of their children, Mathew L. (11), John E. (9), Mary F. (7), Delia A. (5), Robert (3) and Walter F. (9mths) and also in the house at that time was a visitor, Martin Kearney (53). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Mathew M. Anna and Martin spoke Irish and English and, apart from Delia A., Robert and Walter F., they could all read and write. Mathew M. was a farmer, Mathew L., John E. and Mary F. were scholars and Martin was just listed as being a visitor. The Landholder was Matthew M. Coneys.
According to Griffith’s valuation, the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. owner the land in this townland and Matthew Coneys leased a house and offices on 121 acres, 1 rood and 11 perches of land for £30 for the land and £1 5s for the buildings.
The Down Survey name for this area was Ballylemy. The owner in 1641 (Pre Cromwell) was the Catholic, Murrogh O’Flahartye and in 1670 the owners were Richard Martin and Edward Geoghegan, both also Catholics. There were 105 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 27 plantation acres of profitable land and 27 plantation acres were forfeited.