Curhownagh

Corrthamhnach

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                 Curhownagh

Civil Parish:                              Ballindoon

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Errislannan

Area:                                         104.34 acres / 104 acres, 1 rood, 14 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Map

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Curhownagh (no records)

Galway Library for Curhownagh

Logainm for Curhownagh

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Curhownagh

 

1911 Census for Curhownagh

Overview of Curhownagh in 1911

There were a total of 4 houses in the townland of Curhownagh with house 4 being unoccupied and the landholder was Bridget Mannion. All the houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 2nd class dwelling and houses 2 and 3 were 3rd class. House 1 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows in the front and houses 2 and 3 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were 13 out buildings consisting of 3 stables, 3 cow houses, 2 calf houses, 3 piggeries, a fowl house and a potato house. There were a total of 16 people, 8 were male and 8 were female. The enumerator for the area was Const. James Boland.

 

Folan

Mark (66) was the head of the first house in Curhownagh and he had been married to Bridget (61) for 32 years and they had had 9 children and 7 had survived. They shared the house with 5 of those children and they were, Honor (19), James (17), Anne (16), Thomas (12) and Stephen (9). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only the children could read and write. Mark was a farmer, Honor and Anne were farmer’s daughters and James, Thomas and Stephen were farmer’s sons. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house and a potato house. The landholder was Mark Folan.

 

Duane

Festy (67) was the head of this family and he had been married to Bridget (60) for 33 years and they had had 7 children and 6 of those had survived. Three of those children lived with them and they were, Bernard (24), Ellen (21) and Bridget (16) and also in the house at that time was Festy’s brother, Thomas (73). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and, apart from Thomas, they all could read and write. Festy was a farmer, Bernard was a farmer’s son, Ellen and Bridget (16) were farmer’s daughters and Thomas was a farm labourer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a calf house and a piggery. The landholder was Festy Duane.

 

Mannion                                  (additional surname: McDonagh)

The head of the final house in Curhownagh was the widow Bridget (69) and she shared the house with her son Michael (39) and her niece, Mary McDonagh (11). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, and Michael and Mary could read and write. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Bridget Mannion.

 

1901 Census for Curhownagh

Overview of Curhownagh in 1901

There were 4 houses in the townland at that time and all were occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed on stone, brick or concrete walls and all had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. They were all 3rd class dwellings. All had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were a total of 11 out buildings consisting of 4 cow houses, 4 piggeries and 3 potato houses. There were 25 people, 14 males and 11 females. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant William Sullivan.

 

Mannion

James (55) was the head of this family and he was married to Bridget (55) and they shared the house with their daughter, Bridget (19) and their son, John (16). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English. Bridget (55) could read only and Bridget (19) and John could read and write. James was a farmer. Bridget (19) was a farmer’s daughter and John was a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a potato house. The landholder was James Mannion.

 

Mannion

Martin (64) was the head of this family and he was married to Catherine (50) and they shared the house with 3 of their children, Patrick (22), Thomas (20) and Honor (16). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and only the children could read and write. Martin was a farmer, Patrick and Thomas were farmer’s sons and Honor was a farmer’s daughter. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a potato house. The landholder was Martin Mannion.

 

Duane

Bridget (40) was listed as the wife of the head of the family, but the husband was not listed in this entry. She shared the house with her uncle, Thomas (63) and 6 of her children, Mary Anne (20), Stephen (18), Michael (15), Bernard (12), Ellen (9) and Bridget (6). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Bridget (40), Thomas, Mary Anne and Stephen spoke both Irish and English and the others only spoke English. Apart from Thomas, they could all read and write. Bridget (40) and Thomas were farmers, Mary Anne was a farmer’s daughter, Stephen and Michael were farmer’s sons and Bernard, Ellen and Bridget (6) were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Festus Duane.

 

Folan

Mark (50) was the head of this family and he lived in the house with his wife, Bridget (45) and 6 of their children, John (19), Michael (17), Honor (15), James (8), Anne (5) and Thomas (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from James, Anne and Thomas, the family could speak both Irish and English. Only John, Michael and Honor could read and write. Mark was a farmer, John and Michael were farmer’s sons and the other children were all scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a potato house. The landholder was Mark Folan.

 

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Curhownagh

The Rev. Richard Wall was the main immediate lessor in the townland of Curhownagh and he leased a number of tenements in the townland. Michael Mannion leased 2 tenements, the first was 10 acres, 2 roods and 35 perches of land for £2 2s and a second of 5 acres and 35 perches of land for 10s. John Conneely leased 11acres, 2 roods and 9 perches of land for £3 5s and also 6 acres and 7 perches of land for 15s, Patrick Conneely leased 11 acres, 1 rood and 39 perches of land for £3 5s and also 6 acres, 1 rood and 14 perches of land for 15s. Catherine Waghorn, Michael Folan and Catherine Conneely jointly leased Houses on 13 acres, 3 roods and 32 perches of land from Patrick Conneely for which Catherine Waghorn paid £1 16s for the land and 7s for a house, Michael paid 18s for the land and 3s for the house and Catherine Conneely paid 18s for land and 4s for the house and they also leased 5 acres, 2 roods and 30 perches of land for which Catherine Waghorn paid 10s and Michael Folan and Catherine Conneely paid 5s each.  Patrick Conneely leased a house and office on 20 acres, 1 rood and 3 perches of land for £4 for the land and 15s for the buildings.

 

1670 Down Survey for Curhownagh

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Carrownentoygh. The 1641 owner was the Catholic Murrogh O’Flahartye and in 1670 the owners were Catholics, Richard Martin and Anthony French. There 101 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 54 plantation acres of profitable land and 54 plantation acres were forfeited.

This page was added on 11/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *