Bun Abhann Mór
Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara
Townland: Bunowen More
Civil Parish: Ballindoon
Church Parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Bunowen
Poor Law Union: No Records
Area: 243.47 acres / 243 acres, 1 rood, 35 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Bunowen More (no records)
Overview of Bunowen More in 1911
In the DED of Bunowen the houses in the census were listed sequentially through the whole DED and, so, in the townland of Bunowen Beg the 2 houses were listed as houses 102 to 103.
The 1911 census shows that there was a total of 2 houses in the townland. Both were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs and were listed as being private dwellings. House 102 was a 2nd class dwelling and house 103 was a 1st class dwelling. House 102 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows in the front and house 103 had 13 or more rooms and 18 windows in the front. There were a total of 23 pout buildings consisting of 3 stables, a coach house, a harness room, 4 cow houses, 2 calf houses, a dairy, 2 piggeries, 2 fowl houses, a boiling house, a barn, 2 turf houses, a potato house, a shed and a store. There was a total of 12 people in the townland at that time, consisting of 5 males and 7 females. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant D. Brougham.
The head of the first house in Bunowen More was Edward (50) and he had been married to Margaret (38) for 15 years and they had had 7 children. Six of those children lived in the house with them and they were, Delia (12), Timothy (11), John (10), Kate (8), Celia (6) and Margaret (5). They were all Roman Catholic and Edward and Margaret (38) were born in Co. Mayo and all the children were born in Co. Galway. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and, apart from Celia and Margaret (5), they could all read and write. Edward was a land steward and Delia, Timothy, John and Kate were scholars. The house they lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had 2 cow houses, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house and a turf house. Thomas J. Blake was the landholder.
Blake (additional surnames: Cooke, Lanery (sic) and Burke)
Thomas Joseph (61) was the head of this household and he shared the house with 2 servants, Anne Cooke (27) and Norah Lanery (sic) (15) and also in the house at that time was a lodger, John Burke (74). Thomas Joseph was born in Co. Mayo and the others were born in Co. Galway and all were Roman Catholic. John spoke Irish and English and the others all spoke only English. Thomas Joseph, Anne and Norah could read and write. Thomas Joseph was a barrister at law not practising, Anne was a general servant domestic, Norah was a kitchen girl domestic and John was a labourer. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 13 or more rooms and they also had 3 stables, a coach house, a harness room, 2 cow houses, a calf house, a dairy, a piggery, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, a potato house, a shed and a store. The landholder was Thomas J. Blake.
Overview of Bunowen More in 1901
There was only the 1 house in the townland in 1901 and it was occupied and listed as a private dwelling. It was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had a slate, iron or tiled roof. It was a 1st class dwelling with 13 or more rooms and 24 windows in the front. They had 2 stables, a coach house, a harness room, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn and a workshop. The enumerator for the area was Const. John Kane.
Quinn (additional surnames: May, Myles and Burke)
The head of this family was Edward (40) and he was married to Maggie (28) and they shared the house with 4 of their children, Mary (4), Delia (3), Timothy (2) and John (no age given). Also in the house at that time were Maggie’s mother, Bridget May (55), a niece, Mary Myles (21) and a servant, John Burke (58). All were Roman Catholic and Edward, Maggie, Mary (4), Bridget and Mary (21) were born in Co. Mayo and Delia, Timothy, John and John (58) were born in Co. Galway. Apart from Delia, Timothy and John Quinn, they all spoke Irish and English and could read and write. Edward was a farmer and caretaker, Bridget was a farmer’s wife and John (58) was a general labourer. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 13 or more rooms and they also had 2 stables, a coach house, a harness room, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn and a workshop. The landholder was Charles J. Blake of Marlborough.
Valentine O’C Blake owned a house and offices on 220 acres, 1 rood and 29 perches of land that had an annual rateable valuation of £100 for the land and £20 for the buildings. He also had a herd’s house that had an annual rateable valuation of £1. There were also 23 acres and 22 perches of water in the townland.
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Bonoune. The 1641 owner was Murrogh O’Flahartye, a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was Edward Geoghegan, also a Catholic. There were 221 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 21 plantation acres of profitable land and 21 plantation acres were forfeited.