Mannin Beg

Manainn Bheag

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                Mannin Beg

Civil Parish:                              Ballindoon

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Doonloughan

Area:                                         337.83 acres / 337 acres, 3 roods, 12 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Map

Galway Library for Mannin Beg

Logainm for Mannin Beg

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Mannin Beg

 

1911 Census for Mannin Beg

Overview of Mannin Beg in 1911

There was only 1 house in Mannin Beg in 1911 and it was occupied and described as being a private dwelling. It was built of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front and was a 3rd class dwelling. The enumerator for the area was Const. 61317 Michael Rooney.

 

Conneely

The head of the only house in Mannin Beg was Patrick (68) and he had been married to Bridget (50) for 20 years and they had had 8 children, John (20), Annie (18), Patrick (17), James (15), Thomas (11), Mary Ellen (8), Festus (5) and Andrew (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. With the exception of Mary Ellen, Festus and Andrew, the family could speak both Irish and English and could read and write. Patrick was a herd, John. Patrick (17) and James were labourers and Thomas was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and the landholder was Colonel Browne of Monkstown Co. Dublin.

 

1901 Census for Mannin Beg

There was only 1 house in Mannin Beg in 1901 and it was occupied and described as being a private dwelling. It was built of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front and was a 3rd class dwelling. The enumerator for the area was Const. Jeremiah Rahilly [sic]

 

Joyce

The head of the only house in Mannin Beg was John (58) and he was married to Winifred (49) and they shared the house with 6 of their children, Patt (20), Bridget (18), Anne (16), Mark (14), John (12) and Peter (10). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from John (12) and Peter, the family could speak both Irish and English. John (58), Winifred and Mark could not read, John (12) and Peter could read only and Patt, Bridget and Anne could read and write. John was a shepherd, Patt was a general labourer and Mark, John (12) and Peter were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Col. D. E. Browne of Monkstown, Dublin.

 

Old pension Census (1841-1851) for Mannin Beg

James Carroll – Application No. C/21 5403. Ref. No. Cen S/11/299. The application was received on 26th August 1921 with an address at time of Keerhaun South, Ballyconneely, Clifden Co. Galway. James’ parents were given as Frank and Margaret Carroll. The address in 1851 for the purpose of the search was Mannin Beg, in the Parish of Ballindoon, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on 29th August 1921 with the note “Frank and Peggy married 1836, No return of James”.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Mannin Beg

The main immediate lessor for Mannin Beg was Dominick E. Browne and he leased 9 tenements on 323 acres and 28 perches of land to the following: John Hart leased land for £36, John Duane leased a house and land for £3 for the land and 6s for the house, Patrick Leetle [sic] leased a house and land for £3 for the land and 5s for the house, Thomas Hutchinson leased a house and land for £3 for the land and 6s for the house and Patrick Conneely leased a house, office and land for £3 for the land and 7s for the buildings. Francis Carroll leased a house and land for £3 for the land and 6s for the house, Martin Mealy leased a house and land for £2 for the land and 6s for the house, James Mongan leased a house and land for £ 2 5s for the land and 8s for the house and Thomas Keane leased a house and land for £3 for the land and 10s for the house. Patrick Folan leased a house and land from Martin Mealy for £1 for the land and 5s for the house, Peter Conneely leased a house and land from James Mongan for 15s for land and 5s for the house. John Conneely leased a house from Dominick E. Browne for 5s. There were also 2 acres, 3 roods and 23 perches of water in the townland.

 

1670 Downs Survey for Mannin Beg

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Monenbeg. The Catholic, Murrogh O’Flahartye was the owner in 1641 (pre-Cromwell) and in 1670 the owner was Anthony French, also a Catholic. There were 150 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 16 plantation acres of profitable land and 16 plantation acres were forfeited.

This page was added on 11/05/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *