Townland: Brannock Island
Civil Parish: Árainn
Church Parish: Aran Isles
District Electoral Division: Árainn
Area: 94.96 acres / 94 acres, 3 roods, 33 perches
1911 Census for Brannock Island (no records)
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Brannock Island (no records)
1670 Down Survey for Brannock Island (no records)
Overview of Brannock Island South
This part of the 1901 census includes the islands in the north sound of Inishmore, Brannock Island being one of them.
There were a total of 3 houses listed in this entry and all were occupied. All were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs. They were all 2nd class dwellings with houses 1 and 2 having 8 rooms and 2 windows to the front and house 3 having 5 rooms and 4 windows in the front. There were a total of 9 out buildings consisting of 2 stores, 2 laundries, 2 oil stores and 3 coal stores. According to the Enumerator’s Abstract return (form N), there were 18 people on these islands, 9 males and 9 females. The enumerator for the area was Constable Thomas Daly.
James (36) was listed as being the head of this family and he was married to Jane Eliza (34) and they lived there with 4 of their children; Robert (10), John Edwin (9), Gilbert (6) and Helen Irene (5). All members of the family were members of the Church of Ireland and Helen Irene was born in Co. Down while the others were all born in Co. Cork. With the exception of Helen Irene, all could read and write. James was a lighthouse keeper and the children were all listed as being scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 8 rooms and they also had a store, a laundry, an oil store and a coal store. There was no landholder listed in this entry.
The head of this household was Joseph D. (27) and he was married to Teresa (25) and they lived with their son, William (9mths). They were all born in Co. Down and were Roman Catholic. Both parents could read and write and spoke only English. Joseph D. was listed as being a “lighthouse” (most likely a keeper). The house was a 2nd class dwelling with a laundry and a coal store. There was no landholder listed in this entry.
The head of the final family in this entry was John (50) who was married to Julia (47) and they had 7 children; Julia Kate (18), Mary Ellen (17), Michael John (16), Anthony (14), Bridget (12), Lorretto [sic] (9) and Maude (5). All were Roman Catholic and John was born in Kinsale, Co. Cork, Julia, Mary Ellen and Bridget were born in Co. Mayo, Julia Kate was born in Co. Sligo, Michael John and Anthony were born in Co. Wexford and Lorretto [sic] and Maude were born in Co. Donegal. With the exception of young Maude, they could all read and write. John was a lighthouse keeper and Michael John, Anthony, Bridget and Lorretto [sic] were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 8 rooms and they also had a store, an oil store and a coal store. There was no landholder listed in this entry.
This entry includes Brannock East, Brannock Island, Brannock Middle and Brannock South.
Patrick Conneely and others leased the Brannock Islands, that had a total area of 64 acres and 22 perches of land, from Peter Barfort [sic] and others and it had an annual ratable valuation of £1 5s.