Abbeygormican is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Longford Co Galway. It is bounded on the north and east by Knockawns and a small part of Gurtnappagh, on the west by Gurtalough and on the south by Gurtmore.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books gives various other spellings of this townland: Abbeygormican, Abbeygormackan, Abbeygormagan, Abbeyogorm Kan, Ogarmagan, Monaster O’ Gormachan, Abbigonmokane and Mainistir Ua Gormacain/Ua Ghormaghain.
Down Survey map shows this townland under the name ‘Abbygormocane & Mulishe Abby Land’ was owned by the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant in 1641. In 1670 it was owned by Ulick Earl of Clanricard Burke, a catholic and the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant. It states that there were 678 plantation acres of profitable land.
There was 1 house in Abbeygormacan in 1901. There were 6 residents in total. 4 were male and 2 were female. The head of the house was Patrick Coen. All residents were Roman Catholic. All were born in Co Galway. The census taken on the 1st of April 1901 showed it was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.
Patrick Coen (75) was a widower. He worked as a farmer. He lived with his daughter and 2 sons. Dora (40) was listed as a farmer’s daughter. Thomas (39) and James (38) were listed as farmer’s sons. Listed were Michael Monaghan and Mary Gorman. Michael (38) recorded his occupation as a farm servant. Mary (33) recorded her occupation as a general servant domestic. All could read, write and spoke English. Patrick also spoke Irish. They lived in a 1st class house with 6 rooms, 6 front windows and 8 outhouses. Patrick Coen owned the land the house was situated on.
There was 1 house in Abbeygormacan in 1911. There were 3 residents in total. 2 were male and 1 was female. The head of the house was James Coen. All residents were Roman Catholic. All were born in Co Galway. The census taken on the 10th of April 1911 showed the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.
James Coen (45) was a farmer. Also recorded on the census form were James and Mary Gorman. James Gorman (23) recorded his occupation as a farm servant. Mary Gorman (40) recorded her occupation as a general domestic servant. All 3 were single. All 3 could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 11 outhouses: 3 stables, 1 coach house, 2 cow houses, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. James Coen owned the land the house was situated on.