Coolagh

Culach back-field

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

My location
Get Directions

Coolagh

 

Coolagh is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Longford Co Galway. It is bounded on the north and west by Drimatubber, on the east by Boularoe and on the south by Cormick.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books gives one other spelling of this townland, Culach.

 

Down Survey map under the name ‘Cullagha’ shows that this land was owned in 1641 by Nicholas O’Hayn McJohn McNicholas, a catholic. It was owned in 1670 by Hugh O’Hogan, a catholic. It states that there were 75 plantation acres of profitable land and 75 plantation acres of forfeited land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 8 buildings in Coolagh in 1901. 7 were houses and 1 was a national school. The 7 houses had 25 residents in total: 13 were male and 12 were female. The heads of the households were: Darby Coen, Michael Griffin, Patrick Mahon, Martin Melody, John Lowry, John Mullen and Catherine Glennon. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The census taken on the 1st of April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roofs were made with perishable material.

 

Darby Coen (50) was a farmer. He was married to Mary (42). She recorded her occupation as a farmer. They could read, write and spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 6 outhouses. Darby Coen owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Griffin (61) was a married man.  He was a farmer and shopkeeper.  Listed were his sister in law, his nephew and 2 servants.  Winiford Griffin (40) had no occupation listed for her.  Michael Griffin (8) was a scholar.  Patrick Hickey (52) was listed as a farm servant.  He was single.  Mary Conroy (13) was listed as a domestic servant.  Michael (8) and Patrick could read.  The other 3 occupants could read and write.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms, 3 front windows and 5 outhouses.  Michael Griffin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Mahon (51) was a farmer.  He was married to Anne (49).  She recorded her occupation as a farmer.  Visitor Margaret Fahy (14) was a scholar.  All 3 occupants could read and write.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 4 outhouses.  Patrick Mahon owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Martin Melody (44) was single.  He was a farmer.  His mother Anne (80) was a widow.  There was no occupation listed for her.  They spoke Irish and English.  Anne could not read.  Martin could read and write.  They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows and 3 outhouses.  Martin Melody owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Lowry (70) and his brother Martin (63) were farmers. They were unmarried. Visitor Francis Lyons (75) was a widower.  He was listed as mendicant. All 3 spoke Irish and English. John could read and write.  Martin and Francis could not read. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 1 front window and 1 outhouse. John Lowry owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Mullen (48) was a farmer. He was married to Ellen (39). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 5 children. Mary (7), Agnes (6) and Bridget (2) were listed as farmer’s daughters. Patrick (4) and Michael (6 months) were listed as farmer’s sons. Bridget and Michael could not read. Patrick could read. The other 4 occupants could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 4 outhouses. John Mullen owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Catherine Glennon (51) was a widow. She was a National School teacher. Listed were her unmarried son and daughter. Patrick (22) and Mary (20) were scholars. All 3 occupants could read, write and spoke English. Catherine and Patrick also spoke Irish. They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows and 3 outhouses. Catherine Glennon owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 8 buildings in Coolagh in 1911. 7 were houses and 1 was Coolagh National School. The 7 houses had 27 residents in total: 16 were male and 11 were female. The heads of the household were: Patrick Mahon, John Mullin, Darby Coen, John Lowry, Catherine Glennon, Martin Melody and John Sheil. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The census taken on the 3rd of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roofs were made with perishable material.

 

Patrick Mahon (65) was a farmer. He was married for 40 years to Anne (62). There was no occupation listed for Anne. Their son in law Denis Murphy (37) was a farmer. Their niece Margaret Murphy (24) was married for 5 years. There was no occupation listed for her. She had 2 children with 2 living in 1911. Mary Teresa Murphy (4) was a scholar. Patrick Joseph Murphy was 3 years old. Another niece Elizabeth Fahy (8) was a scholar. All the family could read and write except for Patrick Joseph. All spoke English with Patrick and Anne also speaking Irish. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed.  Patrick Mahon owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Mullin (65) was a carpenter. He was married for 20 years to Ellie (49). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 8 children with 6 living in 1911. Mary Kate (18) and Ellie Agnes (16) were single. They had no occupations listed. Patk Francis (14), Clora Bridget (13), Michael (11) and John Joe (6) were scholars. The entire family could read, write and spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 1 room and 2 front windows. There were 8 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn, 1 workshop and 1 shed. John Mullin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Lowry (78) was a farmer. His brother Martin (76) recorded his occupation as an agricultural labourer. They were both single. They spoke Irish and English. John could read and write. Martin could not read or write. They lived in a 4th class house with 1 room, 0 front window and 1 cow house. John Lowry owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Darby Coen (65) was a farmer. He was married for 32 years to Mary (53). There was no occupation listed for Mary. Henry Manning (26) and Michael Murphy (30) were boarders. They were both single. Henry recorded his occupation as a national school teacher. He spoke Irish and English. Michael was listed as a farm servant. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 8 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 shed and 1 store. Darby Coen owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Catherine Glennon (61) was a widow. She was a retired National School teacher. She spoke Irish and English. Her son Patrick J (32) was single. He recorded his occupation as an agricultural labourer. They could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 coach house and 1 fowl house.  Catherine Glennon owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Martin Melody (55) was single. He was a farmer. He could read, write and spoke Irish and English. He lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 piggery. Martin Melody owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Sheil (37) was a farmer. He was married to Bridget (26). There was no occupation listed for her. Martin Fahy (18) was single. He was listed as a farm servant. All 3 occupants could read, write and spoke English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 7 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 harness house, 1 cow house, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. John Sheil owned the land the house was situated on.

This page was added on 24/01/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *