Carrowntober

Ceathru an Tobair, quarter of the well

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

My location
Get Directions

Carrowntober

 

Carrowntober is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Athenry, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Garryboghala, on the west by Meanus, on the east by Ballyhogan and on the south by Cooracurka.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books gives 2 other spellings of this townland: Ceathramhadh an Tobair and Curheentubber.

 

Down Survey map shows that this townland under the name ‘Carhuntobber’, the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant owned the land in 1641 and in 1670. It states there were 26 plantation acres of profitable land and 26 plantation acres of forfeited.

 

Census 1901

 

There was 1 house in Carrowntober in 1901. There were 4 residents in total: 2 were male and 2 were female. All 4 were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The head of the household was James Pender. The census taken on the 1st of April 1901 showed that the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with perishable material.

 

James Pender (48) worked as a shepherd. He was married to Bridget (38). There was no occupation listed for her. Their son Thom [sic] (12) was a scholar. James’s unmarried sister Bridget (48) had no occupation listed for her. All the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 shed. John Manton Drought or James Monahan of Lecarrownagappoge owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 2 houses in Carrowntober in 1911. There were 6 residents in total: 3 were male and 3 were female. All 6 occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Thomas Manton and James Pender. The census taken on the 7th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete.  Thomas Manton’s roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.  James Pender’s roof was made with perishable material.

 

Thomas Manton (37) was a farmer. He was married for 2 years to Anne (36). There was no occupation listed for her. Unmarried Daniel Meade (25) recorded his occupation as a farm labourer.  All 3 occupants could read, write and spoke English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 5 front windows.  There were 7 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed.  Thomas Manton owned the land the house was situated on.

 

James Pender (60) was a farmer.  He was married for 24 years to Bridget (50).  Listed was James’s unmarried sister Bridget (60).  There were no occupations listed for either Bridget.  All 3 could read and write.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows.  There were 7 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.  James Pender owned the land the house was situated on.

This page was added on 06/12/2019.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *