Lismakeige

Lios Mhic Thaidhg, Mac Teige’s fort

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

 

Lismakeige is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Longford Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Corballyhogan, on the west by Mullamore and also by a part of Little Foxhall, on the east by Gurtalough and on the south by Cappanaughtin.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Book gives other name spellings of this townland: Lios Mhaic Thaidhg, Lismakeigue and Lisinakeigue.

 

Down Survey Map shows this land was owned in 1641 by Thomas McRedmond McUlicke Bourke a catholic.  It was owned in 1670 by Nicholas O’Hayn, a catholic. It states there were 156 plantation acres of unprofitable land.There were 251 plantation acres of both profitable and forfeited land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 5 houses in Lismacteige in1901. 1 house was uninhabited. Owen Keating owned the land this house was situated on. The other 4 houses had 22 residents in total: 9 were male and 13 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Patrick White, Bridget Reilly, Patrick Lyons and Sarah Reilly. The census taken on the 10th of April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Sarah Reilly’s house roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. The other 3 roofs were made with perishable material.

 

Patt Whyte (50) was a farmer. He was married to Margaret (35). There was no occupation recorded for her. They could read and write. They had 2 children: Bridget (4) and Mary (2) were recorded as farmer’s daughters. They could not read or write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 5 outhouses. Patrick White owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Bridget Reilly (65) was a widow. Her son Hugh (40) was married to Bridget (38). Their son Martin (7) was a scholar. He could read only. All 3 adults were recorded as farmers. They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 3 outhouses. Bridget Reilly owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Lyons (44) was a farmer. He was married to Ellen (38). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 5 children. Mary (7), Bridget (6), Margaret (5) and Ellen (6 months) were recorded as farmer’s daughters. John (2) was listed as a farmer’s son. Patrick’s Mother Bridget (78) was a widow. She spoke Irish and English. Patrick and Ellen (38) could read and write. Mary and Bridget (6) could read. The rest of the family could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 3 front windows and 4 outhouses. Patrick Lyons owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Sarah Reilly (77) was a widow. She spoke Irish and English. Her son Thomas (47) was married to Margaret (37). They had 3 sons.  Michael F was (1). Patrick was (5) and James A was (5). They could read only. All 3 adults were recorded as farmers. They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 3 front windows and 6 outhouses. Sarah Reilly owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 5 houses in Lismacteige in 1911. 1 house was uninhabited. It had 1 barn. The other 4 houses had 20 residents in total: 10 were male and 10 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Patrick Lyons, Thomas Reilly, Bridget Reilly and Patrick White. The census taken on the 15th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roofs were made with perishable material.

 

Patrick Lyons (53) was a widower. He was a farmer. He had 4 unmarried children. Mary (17), Bridget (15) and John (11) had no occupations recorded. Elly (9) was a scholar. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 shed. Patk [sic] Lyons owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Thomas Reilly (57) was a farmer and grocer provision dealer. He was married for 16 years to Margaret (52). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 3 children with 3 living in 1911. Patrick (16) and James A (15) were recorded as farmer’s sons. Michael F (11) was a scholar. Thomas’s mother Sarah (87) was a widow. She spoke Irish and English. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Thomas Reilly owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Bridget Reilly (78) was a widow. There was no occupation recorded for her. Her son Hugh (49) was a farmer. He was married for 19 years to Bridget (62). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 1 son with 1 living in 1911. Martin (17) was single. He was recorded as a farmer’s son. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 shed. Bridget Reilly owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patk [sic] White (60) was married for 17 years to Margaret (48). They were farmers. They had 6 children with 3 living in 1911. Delia (14), Maryanne (12) and Lawrence (9) were scholars. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Patk [sic] White owned the land the house was situated on.

 

This page was added on 06/03/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *