Gortalough

Gort an Locha field of the lake

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Gortalough

 

Gortalough is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Longford Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Knockawn, on the west by Lissnakeigue and a small part of Corbally Hogan, on the east by Abbeygormacan and part of Knockawns and on the south by Cappanaughtin.

 

O’Donovan’s Field name books give 3 other spellings of this townland: Gortnegalllus,  Gurtalough and Gortnegallagh.

 

The Down Survey Map under the name ‘Abbygormocane & Mulishe Abby Land’ shows that this townland was owned by the earl of Clanrickard, a protestant in 1641. It was owned in 1670 by Ulick, the earl of Clanricard, a catholic and the earl of Clanrickard a protestant.

 

Census 1901

 

Patt Hardiman (52) was a farmer. He was married to Catherine (40). There was no occupation recorded for her. They could read and write. Patt’s mother Catherine (85) was a widow. She was listed as a retired farmer. She spoke Irish and English. She could not read. All 3 were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 6 outhouses.

The census taken on the 11th of April 1901 showed that the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with perishable material.  Patt Hardiman owned the land the house was situated on.

 

 

Census 1911

 

Patrick Hardiman (66) was a farmer. He was married for 20 years to Catherine (53). There was no occupation recorded for her. Michael White (23) was single. He was listed as a farm servant. All 3 were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. All could read, write and spoke English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 shed.

The census taken on the 17th of April 1911 showed that the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with perishable material. Patt Hardiman owned the land the house was situated on.

This page was added on 18/09/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *