Boleyroe

An Bhuaile Rua, red booley or dairy place

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

My location
Get Directions

Boleyroe

 

Boleyroe is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Longford, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Drimhogan, on the west by Coolagh, on the east by Kuilebeg and Clarery in the parish of Killimerbologue and on the south by Kuilenamullaun.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give these other spellings of this townland: Boularoe, Buaile ruadh, Buolaroe, Boule-rooe and Buolyroe.

 

Down Survey map under the name ‘Ballyroe & Clarerry and Balladorahan’ showed that it was owned in 1641 by the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant. It was owned in 1670 by Ulick Burke, Earl of Clanricard, a catholic and the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant. It states there were 74 plantation acres of profitable land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 6 houses in Boleyroe in 1901. There were 32 residents in total: 17 were male and 15 were female. The heads of the households were: John Larkin, Pat Hanrahon John Lowry, Patrick Lowry, Cornelius Lyons and Patrick Kearns. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway except for Ellen Kearns.  She was born in Co Roscommon. The census taken on the 23rd of April 1901 shows that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. John Larkin’s and Patrick Kearns’s house roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles. The other 4 roofs were made with perishable material.

 

John Larkin (50) was a farmer. Listed were his 2 sisters, his brother, his cousin and 1 male servant. Catherine (52) was listed as a farmer. Ellen (40) and Joseph (42) had no occupations recorded for them. Kate Connaughton (10) was a scholar. Lawrence Lyons (30) was a labourer. All were single. They could read and write except for Lawrence. He could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 3 front windows and 7 outhouses. John Larkin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patt Hanrahan (61) was a farmer. He was married to Mary (40). She recorded her occupation as a farmer’s wife. They had 5 children. Patrick (12), Maryane (9), Timothy (7) and Thomas (4) were scholars. Ceale Bridget was 3 years old. Thomas and Ceale Bridget could not read. The rest of the household could read and write. Patt, Mary and Patrick spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 3 front windows and 6 outhouses. Patt Hanrahan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Lowry (39) was a farmer. He was married to Anne (35). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 6 children. Thomas (11), Mary (9), Kate (8), Julia (6) and John (4) were scholars. Michael was 11 months old. All the family could read and write except for Michael. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 3 front windows and 4 outhouses. John Lowry owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Lowry (35) was a farmer. Listed were his brother, his sister and a male visitor. James (28) recorded his occupation as a farmer. Ellen (24) recorded her occupation as a seamstress. James Carey (26) recorded his occupation as a labourer. All 4 occupants were single. They could read, write and spoke English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 4 rooms, 2 front windows and 5 outhouses. Patrick Lowry owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Cornelius Lyons (45) was a farmer. He spoke Irish and English. His sister Bridget (50) recorded her occupation as a seamstress. They were both single. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Cornelius Lyons owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Kearns (70) was a farmer and tailor. He was married to Ellen (70). She recorded her occupation as a housekeeper. They had 3 children. Martin (40) recorded his occupation as a tailor. He was married. Mary (36) recorded her occupation as a seamstress. Anne (30) recorded her occupation as a dressmaker. They were both single. Martin, Mary and Anne could read and write. Patrick and Ellen could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 2 front windows, 1 cow house and 1 fowl house. Patrick Kearns owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 6 houses in Ballyroe in 1911. There were 28 residents in total: 14 were male and 14 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Catherine Larkin, Patrick Hanrahan, John Lowry, Bridget Lyons, Patrick Lowry and Patrick Kearns. The census taken on the 10th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Catherine Larkin’s and Patrick Kearns’s house roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles. The other 4 roofs were made with perishable material.

 

Catherine Larkin (73) was a farmer. Listed were her sister Ellen, her cousins Katie and John Connaughton and visitor Vincent Broderick. There were no occupations listed for Ellen (58) and Katie (20).  John (19) was recorded as a farm servant. There was no occupation listed for Vincent (16). All 5 occupants were single. They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 9 outhouses: 2 stables, 1 coach house, 2 cow houses, 1 piggery 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Catherine Larkin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Hanrahan (72) was a farmer. He spoke Irish and English. He was married for 25 years to Mary (56). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 4 unmarried children. Patrick (23) and Thomas (15) were listed as farmer’s sons. Mary Anne (19) had no occupation listed for her. Celia (13) was a scholar. Patrick’s brother Timothy (59) was single. He recorded his occupation as a farm servant. All could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn. Patrick Hanrahan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Lowry (50) was a farmer. He was married for 22 years to Annie (50). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 6 unmarried children. Thomas (21) was listed as a farmer’s son. Mary J (20) recorded her occupation as a shop assistant. There was no occupation listed for Kate (18).  Julia (15), John (13) and Michael (10) were scholars. All 8 could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms and 2 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.  John Lowry owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Bridget Lyons (69) was single. She was a shepherd. She spoke Irish and English. She could not read. She lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1cow house and 1 shed. Thos Lyons owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patt Lowry (46) was a farmer. Listed were his brother and sister. James (40) recorded his occupation as a farm servant. There was no occupation listed for Ellen (34). All 3 were single. They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 7 outhouses: 1 stable, 2 cow houses, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn. Patrick Lowry owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Kearns (81) was a widower. He was a tailor. He had been married for 56 years. He had 3 unmarried children. Martin (51) recorded his occupation as a tailor. Mary (48) had no occupation listed for her. Anne (42) recorded her occupation as a seamstress. All 3 could read and write. Patrick could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows, 1 cow house and 1 calf house. Patrick Kearns owned the land the house was situated on.

 

This page was added on 13/12/2019.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *