Corballybeg is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Longford, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Walshtown, on the west by Knockawn, on the east by Ballyvaheen and part of Eskerboy and on the south by Eskerboy.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books gives other spellings of this townland: Corbhaile Beag, Curbally, Corballybegg and Corballegge.
Down Survey map shows that this townland under the name ‘Corbane alias Carrowbane’ was owned by Hugh Hayn, a catholic in 1641. It was owned by Nicholas O’Hayn, a catholic in 1670. It states there were 45 plantation acres of profitable land and 45 plantation acres of forfeited land.
There was only 1 house in Corballybeg in 1901. There were 5 residents in total: 2 were male and 3 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The head of the household was Julie Whyte. The census taken on the 11th of April 1901 showed that the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.
Julie Whyte (56) was a widow. She was a farmer. She spoke Irish and English. Listed were her son, daughter and 2 servants. They were all single. Ferdinand (28) recorded his occupation as a farmer’s son. Julie M (23) recorded her occupation as a farmer’s daughter. Michael Donovan (32) was listed as a farm servant. Bridget Moylan (25) was listed as a general domestic servant. All could read and write except for Michael. He could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 8 rooms and 4 front windows. There were 7 outhouses: 2 stables, 1 cow house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed. Julie Whyte owned the land the house was situated on.
There was only 1 house in Corballybeg in 1911. There were 8 residents in total: 4 were male and 4 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The head of the household was James Rafferty. The census taken on the 6th of April 1911 showed that the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.
James Rafferty (47) was a farmer. He was married for 9 years to Julia Mary (34). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 5 children with 4 living in 1911. John Walter (9), Mary Ellen (6) and Julia Anne (5) were scholars. Francis Joseph was 11 months old. James’s brother in law Ferdinand Whyte (42) was listed as a farm servant. Catherine Broderick (35) was listed as a general domestic servant. They were both single. Mary Ellen and Julia Anne could read. Francis Joseph could not read. The other 5 could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 7 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 11 outhouses: 2 stables, 2 coach houses, 1 cow house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 boiling house, 1 barn and 1 shed. James Rafferty owned the land the house was situated on.
Add a comment about this page