Garryboghala

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Garryboghala

 

 

Garryboghala is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan Barony of Leitrim Co Galway. These following townlands share a border with it: Carrownttober, Cloonmain, Lacarrownagappoge, Lissalumma and Meanus.

 

O’Donovan’s Field name book provides no other spellings of this townland.

 

Downs Survey map under the name ‘Arenegoughhough’ shows that John Bourke FitzThomas, a catholic owned the land in 1641. David Power, a catholic owned the land in 1670. It states there were 74 plantation acres of profitable land and 74 plantation acres of forfeited land.

 

Census 1901

 

There was 1 house in Garryboghala townland in 1901. There were 10 residents in total: 5 were male and 5 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The head of the household was Martin Killalea. The census taken on the 6th of April 1901 showed that the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

Martin Killalea (55) was a shepherd. He spoke Irish and English. He was married to Julia (45). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 8 children. Patrick (21), Mary (17) and Thomas (15) were single. There were no occupations listed for them. Julia (13), Ellen (10), Bridget (7) and Martin (4) were scholars. Daniel was 1 year old.  Martin (55) could read. Martin (4) and Daniel could not read. The other 7 occupants could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 shed. John J Smyth of Cooleeny owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There was 1 house in Garryboghala townland in 1911. There were 8 residents in total:  5 were male and 3 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The head of the household was Martin Killalea. The census taken on the 4th or 11th (unable to read) of April 1911 showed the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

Martin Killalea (65) was a farmer. He was married for 33 years to Julia (55). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 11 children with 9 living in 1911. Listed are 5 unmarried children and 1 grandson. Thomas (24) recorded his occupation as a farmer. Ellie (20) and Bridget (18) had no occupations listed for them. All 3 were single. Martin (15) and Dan (11) were scholars. Grandson Martin was 2 years old. All occupants could read and write except for Martin (2). They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 2 front windows. There were 7 outhouses: 2 stables, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed. Martin Killalea owned the land the house was situated on.

 

 

This page was added on 18/09/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *