Cormick

Ceathru Mhic Dhug, hill of the pig

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

My location
Get Directions

Cormick

 

Cormick is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Longford, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Castletown, on the west by Kilbride, on the east by Drimatubber and Collagh and on the south by Cloonprask and Royconnor.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books provides 2 other spellings of this townland: Carmuic and Carr-muic.

 

Downs Survey map shows that this townland under the name ‘Coolemnye’, Nicholas Hayn McJohn McDonogh, a catholic owned this land in 1641. It was owned by Nicholas Hayn, a catholic in 1670. It states there were 92 plantation acres of profitable land and 92 plantation acres of forfeited land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 3 houses in Cormick in 1901. There were 17 residents in total: 11 were male and 6 were female. All residents were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: John Donohue, Patrick Treacy and Peter Cummins. The census taken on the 7th of April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Patrick Treacy’s roof was made with perishable material. John Donohue’s and Peter Cummins roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

John Donohue (50) was a farmer. He was married to Bridget (51). His mother Elizabeth (85) was a widow. There were no occupations listed for Bridget or Elizabeth. John and Bridget had 6 unmarried children. Patrick (18), Michael (18), John J (17) and Thomas (12) were listed as farmer’s sons. Mary (15) and Delia (13) were listed as farmer’s daughters. Michael Burns (60) and Michael Kelly (24) were both single. They recorded their occupations as farm servants. All occupants could read and write except for Elizabeth.  She could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms, 6 front windows and 7 outhouses. John Donohue owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Treacy (84) was a farmer. He spoke Irish and English. He was married to Margaret (44). There was no occupation listed for her. Unmarried Thomas Dane (40) recorded his occupation as a farm servant. Margaret could read and write. Patrick and Thomas could not read or write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows and 6 outhouses. Patrick Treacy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Peter Cummins (59) was single. He worked as a herdsman. His sister Mary Hayes (63) was a widow. She had no occupation listed. Peter’s nephew Thomas Hayes (14) was a scholar. He could read and write. Peter and Mary could not read. All 3 spoke English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows and 2 outhouses. John Donohue owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 3 houses in Cormick in 1911. There were 16 residents in total: 10 were male and 6 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the household were: Patrick Broderick, John Donohue and Peter Commons. The census taken on the 11th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were made with stone, brick or concrete. Patrick Broderick’s roof was made with perishable material. John Donohue’s and Peter Commin’s roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

Patrick Broderick (51) was a farmer. He was married for 5 years to Margaret (43). There was no occupation listed for her. Their niece Margt (10) was a scholar. She spoke Irish and English. All occupants could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Patrick Broderick owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Donohue (61) was a widower. He was a farmer. He had 6 unmarried children. Patrick (28), Michael (28), John Joe (26) and Thomas (21) were listed as farmer’s sons. Mary Teresa (24) and Delia (23) were listed as farmer’s daughters. Michl Bourns (69) and Michl Kelly (38) were single. They recorded their occupations as farm servants. Visitor Julie Anne Winkle (26) was married for 5 years. There was no occupation listed for her. She had 1 child with 1 living in 1911. Mathew Winkle (3) could not read. All the other occupants could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 8 rooms and 6 front windows. There were 8 outhouses: 2 stables, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn. John Donohue owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Peter Commons (74) was single. He worked as a herd. He could read only. His sister Mary Hayes (75) was a widow. She could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 4 front windows and 1 fowl house. John Donohue owned the land the house was situated on.

 

This page was added on 29/01/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *