Cooracurkia

Cuar an Choirce, round hollow of the oats

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

My location
Get Directions

Cooracurkia

 

Cooracurkia is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Leitrim Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Curheentubber and a small part of Ballyhogan, on the east by Glanmeen, on the west by Finnure and on the south by Carra.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books gives 3 other spellings of this townland: Coorcurka, Cooracurka and Cuar Cur a Choirce.

 

Down Survey map  shows that this townland under the name ‘Ballanen’ was owned by the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant in 1641 and in 1670.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 3 houses in Cooracurkia in 1901. There were 12 residents in total: 7 were male and 5 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Thomas Connaughton, Martin Deely and Michael Murphy. The census taken on the 5th of April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Martin Deely’s and Michael Murphy’s roofs were made with perishable material. Thomas Connaughton’s roof was made with slate, brick or concrete.

 

Thomas Connaughton (60) worked as a shepherd. He was married to Anne (59). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 4 children. Catherine (25) was recorded as a shepherd’s daughter. Peter (24), Martin (35) and John (34) were listed as shepherd’s sons. Catherine (25), Peter and Martin were single. John was married to Catherine (34). There was no occupation listed for her. The entire family could read and write. Thomas, Anne, and Catherine (34) spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 shed. Andrew N Comyn of Ballinderry owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Martin Deely (66) was a widower. He was a farmer. His step-sister Ellen Keary was single. She recorded her occupation as a housekeeper. They spoke Irish and English. They could not read. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows, 1 cow house and 1 shed. Martin Deely owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Murphy (79) was a farmer. He was married to Margaret (67). There was no occupation listed for her. Their grandson Michael Birmingham (13) was a scholar. All 3 occupants spoke Irish and English. Michael Murphy and Michael Birmingham could read and write. Margaret could not read. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 1 shed. Michael Murphy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 3 houses in Cooracurkia in 1911. There were 9 residents in total: 5 were male and 4 were female. The heads of the households were: Thomas Connaughton, Michael Birmingham and Ellen Keary. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The census taken on the 7th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Martin Deely’s and Michael Murphy’s roofs were made with perishable material. Thomas Connaughton’s roof was made with slate, brick or concrete.

 

Thomas Connaughton (84) was a widower. He worked as a herd. He spoke English. His daughter Catherine (49) was single. His son, John (42) recorded his occupation as a herd. John was married to Mary (32). They had 3 children: Tom Joe (4), Helen (2 ½) and Patrick (1). There were no occupations recorded for Catherine or Mary. The 3 children could not read. Thomas, John and Mary could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 6 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Andrew N Comyn owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Birmingham (23) was single.  He was a farmer.  He could read and write.  He lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows.  There were no outhouses recorded.  Andrew N Comyn owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Ellen Keary (70) was single.  She was a farmer.  She spoke Irish and English.  She could read only.  She lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 1 front window.  There were no outhouses recorded.  Andrew N Comyn owned the land the house was situated on.

 

 

 

This page was added on 24/01/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *