Corbally More

An Corrbhaile Mor, odd-town (big)

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

My location
Get Directions

Corbally More

 

Corbally More is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Longford, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Carrarea, on the west by Ballyhogan and Lissheeahevnia, on the east by Corballyhogan and Ballinruane and on the south by Mullabeg and Mullamore.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books provides 2 other spellings of this townland: Corbhaile Mor and Corballemore.

 

Downs Survey map shows that this townland was owned in 1641 by the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant.  It was owned in 1670 by Ulick, Earl of Clanricard Burke, a catholic and the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant. It states there were 20 plantation acres of unprofitable land and 433 plantation acres of profitable land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 9 houses in Corbally More in 1901. There were 50 residents in total: 22 were male and 28 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Thomas Manton, Laurence Broderick, Timothy Dwyer, Michael Martin, Patrick Raftery, John Martin, Denis Manton, Michael Martin and Mary Lalley. The census taken on the 4th of April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Michael Martin’s (55) and Michael Martin’s (50) roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles. The other 7 roofs were made of perishable material.

 

Thomas Manton (68) worked as a herd. He was married to Anne (55). There was no occupation listed for her. They both spoke Irish and English. Their unmarried nephew Martin Connor’s (27) was listed as a farmer’s servant. Listed were their married nephew, his wife and 3 children. James Connor’s (30) worked as a herd. Sarah (30) was listed as a herd’s wife. Mary (4) and Ellen (3) were listed as herd’s daughters. Thomas (1) was listed as a herd’s son. James, Sarah and Martin could read and write. The rest of the family could not read. They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows and 5 outhouses. Lord Clonbrock owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Laurence Broderick (60) worked as a shepherd. He was married to Maria (58). There was no occupation listed for her. They spoke Irish and English. They could not read. They had 3 children. Margaret (25) and Ellie (17) were listed as shepherd’s daughters. Dennis (21) was listed as a shepherd’s son. Margaret and Dennis were single. Ellie was married. All 3 could read, write and spoke English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows and 3 outhouses. John A Ryan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Timothy Dwyer (54) was a farmer. He was married to Catherine (33). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 5 children. Catherine (7), Mary (5), Bridget (4) and Ellen (1) were listed as farmer’s daughters. John (3) was listed as a farmer’s son. Listed were Timothy’s unmarried brother and sister. John (51) recorded his occupation as a farm labourer. Ellen (56) was listed as a farmer’s daughter. The 4 adults spoke Irish and English. Bridget, John (3) and Elle (1) could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 6 outhouses. Timothy Dwyer owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Martin (55) and his sister’s Margaret (46) and Mary (41) were farmers. Male servant John Costello (63) worked as a farmer. All 4 were single. They could read and write. John spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 3 front window and 6 outhouses. Michael Martin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Raftery (40) was a farmer. He was married to Catherine (43). There was no occupation listed for her. He had 1 son and 2 step-children. Joe Raftery (9) and unmarried John Deely (21) were listed as farmer’s sons. Elizzey Deely (19) was listed as a farmer’s daughter. She was single. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front window and 5 outhouses. Patrick Raftery owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Martin (58) was a widower. He was a farmer. He spoke Irish and English. Listed were his 2 daughters, his son in law and grandchild. Ellen (27) was single. She was listed as a farmer’s daughter. Thomas Morgan (26) was a farmer. He was married to Nora (30). There was no occupation listed for her. Mary Morgan was 7 months old. All occupants could read and write except for Mary. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front window and 5 outhouses. John Martin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Denis Manton (50) was a farmer. His cousin Michael (48) was listed as a farmer’s son. His cousin Bridget (40) was listed as a farmer’s daughter. His nephew James Murray (30) was listed as a farmer’s son. His niece Julia Murray (18) was listed as a farmer’s daughter. All 5 were single. Denis, Michael and Bridget spoke Irish and English. They could not read. James and Julia could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front window and 6 outhouses. Denis Manton owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Martin (50) was a farmer.  He was married to Anne (51).  There was no occupation listed for her.  They had 5 unmarried children.  Michl (23) was listed as a farmer’s son.  Mary (21) and Anne (19) were listed as farmer’s daughters.  Bridget (17) and Andrew (14) were scholars.  All residents could read and write.  Michael, Anne (51) and Michl spoke Irish and English.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front window and 5 outhouses.  Michael Martin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Mary Lalley (50) was a widow.  She was a farmer.  She spoke Irish and English.  She could not read.  Her daughter Bridget (19) was single.  She was listed as a farmer’s daughter.  She could read and write.  They lived in a 3rd class house with 1 room, 1 front window and 2 outhouses.  Mary Lally owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 9 houses in Corbally More in 1911. There were 52 residents in total: 26 were male and 26 female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Laurence Broderick, John Martin, Denis Manton, Michael Martin, Timothy Dwyer, Michael P Martin, Patrick Raftery, James Connor and Thomas Brown. The census taken on the 4th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Laurence Broderick’s, Michael P Martin’s, James Connor’s and Thomas Brown’s roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles. The other 5 roofs were made of perishable material.

 

Laurence Broderick (72) was a farmer. He was married for 50 years to Maria (72). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 10 children with 6 living in 1911. Denis (30) recorded his occupation as a farmer’s son. He was married for 2 years to Nora (30). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 2 children with 2 living in 1911. Mary Kate was 1 year old and Joseph was 1 month old. Denis and Nora could read and write. The other 4 occupants could not read or write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed. Laurence Broderick owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Martin (69) was a farmer. He was a married man. His sister in law Norah Martin (40) was married. She had no occupation listed. His son in law Thomas Morgan (38) was listed as a farmer’s son. He was married for 11 years. He had 6 children with 6 living in 1911:  Mary (10), John (9) and Millie P (8) were scholars, Lawrence (3), Nora (1) and Patrick V(16 days old). Lawrence, Nora and Patrick V could not read or write. The other 6 occupants could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. John Martin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Denis Manton (75) was a farmer. Listed were his 3 relatives and 1 servant. All 5 were single. Michel Manton (74) and James Murray (42) were listed as agricultural labourers. There was no occupation listed for Bridget Manton (68). Julia Murray (29) was listed as a general domestic servant. James and Julia could read and write. The other 3 occupants could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Denis Manton owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Martin (69) was a farmer. He was married for 40 years to Anne (71). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 7 children with 5 living in 1911. Listed was their unmarried daughter, Anny (25).  She recorded her occupation as a dressmaker. All 3 could read, write and speak English. Michael and Anne also spoke Irish. They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms and 2 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed. Michael Martin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Timothy Dwyer (70) was a farmer. He was married for 19 years to Catherine (49). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 6 children with 6 living in 1911. Katie (17), Mary (15) and Delia (14) had no occupations listed for them. John J (13), Helena (11) and Richard (10) were scholars. Timothy’s brother John (67) was single. He recorded his occupation as an agricultural labourer. All occupants could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 4 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Timothy Dwyer owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael P Martin (70) was a farmer. His sister Mary (60) had no occupation listed for her. They were both single. They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 shed. Michael P Martin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Raftery (46) was a farmer. He was married for 20 years to Catherine (50). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 1 child with 1 living in 1911. Joseph (19) was single. He was listed as a farmer’s son. All 3 occupants could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn. Patrick Raftery owned the land the house was situated on.

 

James Connor (45) was a widower. He worked as a shepherd. He had 6 children: Mary (13), Helena (12), Thomas (10), Agnes (8) and James (5) were scholars. His brother Michael (35) was single. He recorded his occupation as an agricultural labourer. Relative Anne Minton (75) was a widow. There was no occupation listed for her. Anne and James could not read or write. The rest of the household could read and write. All spoke Irish and English except for James, Michael and James (5). They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Lord Clonbrock of Ahascragh owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Thomas Brown (47) worked as an agricultural labourer.  He was married for 8 years to Bridget (32).  There was no occupation listed for her.  They had 3 children with 3 living in 1911.  Mary (7) and Katie (5) were scholars.  Thomas was 10 months old.  Thomas’s (47) mother in law Mary Lally (76) was a widow.  She had no occupation listed for her.  She spoke Irish and English.  Bridget and Mary (7) could read and write.  The other 4 could not read or write.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows, 1 cow house and 1 fowl house.  Thomas Brown owned the land the house was situated on.

 

This page was added on 29/01/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *