Addergoole

Eadarguil, central fork or between the fork

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

My location
Get Directions

Abbeygormican

 

Addergoole is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Longford, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Derreenboy and Cloonlahan Geoghegan and on the west by Walshtown, all in the parish of Killoran. It is bounded on the east by Kill in the parish of Kiltormer and on the south by Ballyvaheen and Eskerboy.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books gives various other spellings of this townland: Eadar-gabhail, Adregule, Addergool, Addragule and Adrigoole.

 

Down Survey map shows that this townland under the name ‘Ardrigule’ was owned in 1641 by John O’Madden, a catholic. In 1670 it was owned by the Bishop of Clonfert, a protestant. It states that there were 308 forfeited plantation acres and 308 profitable plantation acres.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 7 houses in Addergoole in 1901. There were 24 residents in total: 16 were male and 8 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Mary Mulvoy, Pat Finnerty, James Tierney, Bridget Flannery, Thomas Mannion, Stephen Whyte and James Stanton. The census taken on the 6th of April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete except for Mary Mulvoy house. Her walls were built with perishable material. Mary Mulvoy, Stephen Whyte and James Stanton’s house roofs were made with perishable material. The other 4 roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

Mary Mulvoy (61) was a widow. She was a farmer. She could not read. She lived in a 4th class house with 1 room and 1 front window. There were no outhouses recorded. Owen Ryan of Ashbrook owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Pat Finnerty (62) was a farmer. He was married to Catherine (60). She recorded her occupation as a farmer’s wife. They had 3 unmarried sons. Pat (25), John (23) and Michael (21) were recorded as farmer’s sons. All 3 could read and write. Catherine could read. Pat (62) could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms, 3 front windows and 4 outhouses. Pat Finnerty owned the land the house was situated on.

 

James Tierney (66) was an army pensioner, 7th fusillers. He was married to Mary (60). She recorded her occupation as an army pensioner 7th fusillers. They spoke Irish and English. James could not read. Mary could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 1 outhouse. Owen Ryan of Ashbrook owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Bridget Flannery (47) was a widow. She spoke Irish and English. She worked as a shepherdess. She had 2 unmarried children. Patt (28) was recorded as a shepherd’s son. Mary (24) was recorded as a shepherd’s daughter. She could read and write. Bridget and Patt could read. They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms, 1 front window and 4 outhouses. Owen Ryan of Ashbrook owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Thomas Mannion (48) worked as a shepherd. He was married to Ellen (45). She was listed as a shepherd’s wife. They had 4 unmarried children. Margaret (17) was listed as a shepherd’s daughter. Patt (15) was listed as a shepherd’s son. James (13) and John (11) were scholars. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front window and 2 outhouses. Owen Ryan of Ashbrook owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Stephen Whyte (32) lived with his brother Timothy (30). They worked as agricultural labourers. They were single. They could not read. They lived in a 4th class house with 1 room and 1 front window. Owen Ryan of Ashbrook owned the land the house was situated on.

 

James Stanton (55) was a farmer. He was married. He had 4 children. Michael (16) was recorded as a farmer’s son. Patrick (14), James (12) and Jane (10) were scholars. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 1 outhouse. Owen Ryan of Ashbrook owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 9 houses in Addergoole in 1911. 1 house was uninhabited. John Hanrahan owned the land this house was situated on. The other 8 houses had 35 residents in total: 20 were male and 15 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of households were: James Stanton, Martin Lowry, Thomas Manning, Patrick Flannery, Martin Manning, Patrick Finnerty, Julie Kelly and Timothy Whyte. The census taken on the 6th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete.  The roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

James Stanton (71) was a farmer. He was married for 40 years to Bridget (68). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 10 children with 6 living in 1911. Listed were their son and their 2 grandchildren. James (24) was listed as a farmer’s son. He was single. Mary Buyrne (7) and Patrick Buyrne (6) were scholars. James (71) could read. James (24) could read and write. Bridget, Patrick and Mary could not read. Bridget spoke Irish and English.They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 2 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 fowl house, 1 turf house and 1 shed. James Stanton owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Martin Lowry (47) was a farmer. He was married for 6 years to Mary Anne (27). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 5 children with 5 living in 1911: Mary (5), Patrick (4), Michael (3), Peter (2) and Bridget was 3 months old. Listed was Martin’s father, Martin (88). He was a widower. He was listed as a retired farmer.  Mary Anne could read and write. The rest of the family could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms, 3 front windows, 1 stable and 1 cow house. Martin Lowry owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Thomas Mannion (61) was a farmer. He was married for 28 years to Ellen (59). They had 4 children with 4 living in 1911. Margaret (26) was married. There were no occupations listed for Margaret and Ellen. Patrick (25), James (23) and John (21) were recorded as farmer’s sons. All 3 were single. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house. Thomas Mannion owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Flannery (41) was a farmer. He was married for 6 years to Margaret (36). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 3 children with 3 living in 1911. Mary was 5 years old. Bridget was 4 years old and Margaret was 1 year old. Patrick’s mother Bridget (72) was a widow. There was no occupation listed for her. Patrick could read. Mary could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 2 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed. Patrick Flannery owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Martin Manning (35) was a farmer. He was married for 3 years to Bridget (38). There was no occupation listed for her. She spoke Irish and English. They had 2 children with 2 living in 1911: John Patrick (2) and Mary (1). They could not read. Martin and Bridget could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows, 1 cow house and 1 piggery. Martin Manning owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Finnerty (74) was a farmer. He spoke Irish and English. He was married for 44 years to Catherine (71). She was recorded as a farmer’s wife. They had 6 children with 3 living in 1911. Patrick (38), John (36) and Michael (34) were recorded as farmer’s sons. All 3 were single. They could read and write except for Patrick (74). He could not read or write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn. Patrick Finnerty owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Julia Kelly (60) was a widow. She recorded her occupation as a wash woman. She could not read. The 1911 census gives no more information on this house.

 

Timothy Whyte (56) was single. He recorded his occupation as an agricultural labourer. He could not read. The 1911 census gives no more information on this house.

 

This page was added on 30/01/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *