Lurganshanny

Lorgain Seanaidh, long hill of the fox

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

 

Lurganshanny is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Longford, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Cappanaughtin, on the west by Drimeyre, on the east by Lurganbeg and on the south by Kuilebeg.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Book gives another spelling of this townland: Lurgan Seanaigh.

 

Down survey map shows that this land was owned by Hugh McMurtagh Hayn a catholic in 1641. It was owned in 1670 by Nicholas O’Hayn, a catholic. It states there were 199 plantation acres of both profitable and forfeited land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 3 houses in Lurganshanny in 1901. There were 18 residents in total: 8 were male and 10 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Martin Donelan, Martin Coen and John Daly. The census taken on the 6th of April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Martin Coen’s house roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. The other 2 roofs were made with perishable material.

 

Martin Donelan (45) was a farmer. He was married to Mary (37). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 7 children. Delia (16), Kate (15), Mary (5), Seragh (4) and Teresa (1) were recorded as farmer’s daughters. John (13) and Michael (7) were recorded as farmer’s sons. All the family spoke English except for Teresa. Seragh and Teresa could not read or write. Mary (5) could read only. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 6 outhouses. Martin Donlan [sic] owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Martin Coen (59) was a farmer. He was a widower. He had 3 children. Stephen (13) was recorded as a farmer’s son. Alice (15) and Catherine (1) were recorded as farmer’s daughters. All the family could read and write except for Catherine. She could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms, 5 front windows and 5 outhouses. Martin Coen owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Daly (37) was a farmer. He was married to Bridget (31). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 2 children. Thomas (1) was recorded as a farmer’s son. Mary Ann (1 month) was recorded as a farmer’s daughter. John’s father John (75) was a widower. He was a farmer. He could read only. John (75) and Bridget spoke Irish and English. John (37) and Bridget could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 3 outhouses. John Daly owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 3 houses in Lurganshanny in 1911. There were 18 residents in total: 9 were male and 9 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Martin Coen, Martin Donnellan and John Daly. The census taken on the 10th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Martin Coen’s roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. The other 2 roofs were made with perishable material.

 

Martin Coen (68) was a widower. He was a farmer. He had 2 unmarried children. Stephen (19) was recorded as a farmer’s son. Katie was 12 years old. All the family could read and write. Martin and Katie spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 7 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Martin Coen owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Martin Donnellan (65) was a farmer.  He was married for 20 years to Mary (50).  There was no occupation recorded for her.  They had 5 children.  John (23) and Michael (17) were single.  They were recorded as farmer’s sons.  Mary Winifred (15), Sarah (13) and Tresesa [sic] (9) were scholars.  The entire family could read and write.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows.  There were 7 outhouses: 2 stables, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed.  Martin Donnellan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Daly (47) was a farmer.  He was married for 13 years to Bridget (42).  There was no occupation recorded for her.  They had 6 children with 6 living in 1911.  Thomas (12), Mary Anne (10), Bridget (9), Catherin [sic] (7), John (5) and Michael (3) were scholars.  Bridget (42), Thomas and Mary Anne spoke Irish and English.  Michael and John (5) could not read.  Catherin could read only.  The rest of the family could read and write.  They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms and 2 front windows.  There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.  John Daly owned the land the house was situated on

This page was added on 17/03/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *