Ballyhogan

Baile Ui Ogain,  Hogan’s town

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

My location
Get Directions

Ballyhogan

 

Ballyhogan is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Leitrim, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Lissalumma, on the north east by Carhoorea, on the west by Carheentubber, on the east by Corballymore and Lissheenahernia and on the south by Finnure.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give no other spelling of this townland

 

Down Survey map shows that this townland under the name ‘Ballanen’ was owned by the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant in 1641 and 1670. It states that there were 32 plantation acres of unprofitable land and 359 plantation acres of profitable land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 2 houses in Ballyhogan in 1901. There were 13 residents in total; 7 were male and 6 were female. The heads of the households were: Andrew Coyne and Patrick Connaughton. All residents were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The census taken on the 1st of April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Andrew Coyne’s roof was made with perishable material. Patrick Connaughton roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

Andrew Coyne (44) was a farmer. Listed was his sister Bridget (34). She recorded her occupation as a housekeeper. They were both single. They could read, write, and speak Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows, 1 cow house and 1 shed. Andrew Coyne owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Connaughton (45) worked as a shepherd. He was married to Margaret (40). There was no occupation listed for Margaret. They had 8 children. Mary Anne (14), Mich Joseph (12), Ellen (10), John Thomas (8) and Teresa (6) were scholars. Margaret was (4), Martin (2) and Patrick (1). Patrick’s cousin Michael (31) was single. He recorded his occupation as a servant. Michael, Margaret (4), Martin and Patrick could not read. Teresa could read only. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 4 outhouses. John Smyth of Masonbrook owned the land the house was situated on along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 shed.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 7 houses in Ballyhogan in 1911. 1 house was uninhabited. This house had only 1 outhouse. It was owned by Martin Keane. There was no other information listed on this house. The other 6 houses had 23 residents in total: 14 were male and 9 were female. The heads of the households were: Patrick Noonan, John Burke, Patrick Connerton/Connaughton, Thomas Fahy, John Barrett and Andrew Coyne.  All were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The census taken on the 7th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles except for Andrew Coyne’s roof. It was made with perishable material.

 

Patrick Noonan (40) was single. He was a farmer. He could read and write.  He lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. There were no outhouses recorded. Patrick Noonan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Burke (60) was a farmer. He was married for 30 years to Mary (65). She recorded her occupation as a farmer. They had 8 children with 7 living in 1911. Listed were their son and daughter. Thomas (26) and Mary (19) recorded theirs occupations as farmers. They were single. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 3 front windows, and 1 stable and 1 cow house. John Burke owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Connerton [sic] (56) was a farmer. He was married for 25 years to Margaret (55). She recorded her occupation as a farmer’s wife. They had 9 children with 9 living in 1911. Listed were their 6 unmarried children.  Ellie (20), Jesie (17) and Margaret (14) were recorded as farmer’s daughters.  Joseph (22), Brendan (12) and Patrick (10) were recorded as farmer’s sons.  The entire family could read and write.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 3 front windows.  There were 7outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed.  Patrick Connaughton owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Thomas Fahy (54) was a farmer.  He was married for 16 years to Kate (51).  There was no occupation recorded for Kate.  They had 3 children with 3 living in 1911.  Patrick (15), Joseph (14) and Thos Francis (9) were scholars.  The entire family could read and write.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 3 front windows, 1 cow house and 1 calf house.  Thomas Fahy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Barrett (50) was single.  He was a farmer.  Listed were boarders Martin and Mary Anne Keane.  They were both married.  Martin (30) recorded his occupation as a farmer.  There was no occupation listed for Mary Anne (24).  She could read and write.  John and Martin could not read.  They lived in a 2nd class houses with 4 rooms and 3 front windows.  There were no outhouses recorded.  John Barrett owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Andrew Coyne (65) was single.  He was a farmer.  Listed was his unmarried sister Bridget (51).  She had no occupation recorded.  They could read and speak Irish and English.  Bridget could also write.  They lived in a 3rd class houses with 2 rooms and 2 front windows.  There were 3 outhouses: 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 piggery.  Andrew Coyne owned the land the house was situated on.

 

This page was added on 16/02/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *