Lisheennahevnia

Lisin na hAibhle, little fort of the river

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Lisheennahevnia

 

Lisheennahevnia is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan barony of Leitrim, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Corballymore, on the east by Mullaghbeg, on the west by Ballyhogan and on the south by Finnure.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name books give no other spelling of this townland.

 

Down Survey map shows that this land was owned by the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant in 1641 and in 1670.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 2 houses in Lisheenahevia in 1901. There were 11 residents in total: 7 were male and 4 were female. The heads of the households were: John White and Patrick Flanagan. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The census taken on the 1st of April 1901 showed that John White’s house was built as a shop premises. His roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. Patrick Flanagan’s house was built as a private dwelling. His roof was made with perishable material. All walls were built with stone, brick or concrete.

 

John White (46) was a farmer.  He was married to Anne (43).  There was no occupation recorded for her.  Their son Patrick (11) was a scholar.  Boarder William Kelly (31) was single.  He recorded his occupation as a national teacher.  John could not read.  The rest of the household could read and write.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 6 rooms and 5 front windows.  There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed.  John White owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Flanagan (55) was a widower.  He worked as a shepherd.  He could not read.  He had 6 children.  Mary (16) was recorded as a housekeeper.  Patrick (14), Anne (12) and Laurence (10) were scholars.  Bridget was (6) and Michael was (4).  The 4 older children could read and write.  They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows.  There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 shed.  Charles Clarke of Castlenancy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 2 houses in Lisheennahvina in 1911.  There were 7 residents in total: 5 were male and 2 were female.  The heads of the households were: John White and Patrick Flanagan.  All occupants were Roman Catholic.  They were born in Co Galway.  The census taken on the 11th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings.  The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete.  John White’s roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.  Patrick Flanagan’s roof was made with perishable material.

 

John White (62) was married to Anne (52).  She spoke Irish and English.  Their son Patrick (21) was single.  He spoke English.  All 3 occupants could read and write.  They were all recorded as farmers.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 6 rooms and 6 front windows.  There were 7 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed.  John White owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Flanagan (68) was a widower.  He worked as a shepherd.  He could not read.  He had 3 unmarried children.  Patrick (23), Bridget (17) and Michael (15) had no occupations recorded for them.  All 3 occupants could read and write.  They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.  Catherine Clarke owned the land the house was situated on

This page was added on 07/03/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *