Kilbride

Cill Bhride, Bridget’s church

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Kilbride

 

 

Kilbride is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan barony of Leitrim Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Ballyfenton and Liscoyle, on the west by Ballyfenton, on the east by Castletown and part of Liscoyle and on the south by Shanvoher and Gurthaneear in the parish of Dooniry.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give other spellings of this townland: Cill Bhrighde, Killbride, Kilbridy and Kyllbride

 

Down Survey map under the name ‘Bolnemucke’ shows this land was owned by Edmund Grana McEdmund Shoy, a catholic in 1641. It was owned by the college of Dublin in 1670. It states there were 165 plantation acres of unprofitable land. There were 49 plantation acres of profitable land and 49 plantation acres of forfeited land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 3 houses in Kilbride in 1901. One house was uninhabited. Patrick McNamara owned the land this house was situated on. The other 2 houses had 14 residents in total: 7 were male and 7 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway except for Patrick McNamara. He was born in Co Clare. The heads of the households were: Patrick McNamara and Michael Murphy. The census taken on the 6th of April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete.  Patrick McNamara’s roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. Michael Murphy’s roof was made with perishable material.

 

Patrick D Mc Namara (45) was a farmer. He was married to Mary (30). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 6 young children. Margaret (10), Kathleen (9), Florence May (7) and Cristina (6) were scholars. Thos Francis was 4 years old and Patrick W V was 8 months old. They could not read. The rest of the household could read and write. All the family spoke English except for Patrick W V. They lived in a 1st class house with 6 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Patrick McNamara owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Murphy (45) worked as a herd. He was married to Anne (33). She was listed as a herd’s wife. They had 4 children. Michael (18) was single. He recorded his occupation as a labourer. Mary (12) and John (9) were scholars. Thomas (4) could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. The entire family spoke English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 shed. Patrick McNamara owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 2 houses in Kilbride in 1911. There were 15 residents in total: 9 were male and 6 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway except for Patrick D, Mary McNamara and Denis Carolan. They were born in Co Clare. The heads of the households were: Patrick McNamara and Michael Murphy. The census taken on the 3rd of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Patrick McNamara’s roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. Michael Murphy’s roof was made with perishable material.

 

Patrick D McNamara (58) spoke Irish and English. He was married for 20 years to Mary (39). They were both recorded as farmers. They had 6 children with 6 living in 1911. Margaret (19) and Kathleen (17) were listed as farmers. They were both single. Florence May (15), Christina (13), Thomas G (11) and Vincent (9) were scholars. Patrick’s brother in law Denis Carolan (29) and a man named Joseph Murphy (29) were listed as farm servants. They were both single. The entire household could read and write. They lived in a 1st class house with 8 rooms and 7 front windows. There were 11 outhouses: 2 stables, 1 coach house, 1 harness room, 2 cow houses, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn. Patrick McNamara owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Murphy (62) worked as a shepherd. He was married for 16 years to Ann (61). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 1 son. Thomas (14) was a scholar. Michael (62) had 2 older unmarried sons. Michael (30) recorded his occupation as a stone mason. John (19) was listed as an agriculture labourer. Michael (62) and Ann spoke Irish and English. They could not read or write. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 2 outhouses: 1 cow house and 1 piggery. Patrick McNamara owned the land this house was situated on.

 

 

This page was added on 27/08/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *