Lurgan More

An Lorgain Mhor great shin or long hill

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Lurgan More

 

Lurgan More is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan barony of Longford Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Gurtmore, Gurtnappagh and by part of Eskerboy, on the west by Lurganbeg, on the east by a part of Eskerboy and Derhow in the parish of Killimorbologue.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name books provides other spellings of this townland: Lurgan Mor, Lurgan and Lorgan.

 

Down Survey map shows that this townland was owned in 1641 under the name ‘Sunnaghbegg’ by Nicholas O’Hayn McJohn McDonogh, a catholic. It was owned in 1670 by Sir Thomas Newgent, a catholic. It states there were 245 planation acres of forfeited land and 245 planation acres of profitable land.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 15 houses in Lurgan More in 1901. Two houses were uninhabited. One was owned by Patrick Dillon. The other was owned by Mary Brien. The other 13 houses had 44 residents in total: 29 were male and 15 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: John Winters, John Brien, John Head, Tim Hanrahan, Mathias Killeen, Anne Staunton, Michael Daly, Winiford Reilly, Michael Gantley, Patrick Gantley, Bridget Rock, Mary Brien and Michael Head. The census taken on the 6th of April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roofs were made with perishable material except for Tim Hanrahan’s. His roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

John Winters (58) was a farmer. He was married to Mary (56). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 2 unmarried children. Annie Kate (20) was recorded as a farmer’s daughter. John (16) was recorded as a farmer’s son. Their nephew Lawrence was 2 years old. John Coyne (69) was a married man. He was recorded as a farm servant. He could read, write and spoke Irish and English. Annie Kate and John (16) also could read and write. Mary could read. Lawrence and John (58) could not read. They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows and 5 outhouses. John Winters owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Brien (72) was a farmer. He was married to Margaret (60). They spoke Irish and English. There was no occupation recorded for Margaret. They had 5 unmarried children. James (30), John (20) and Michael (18) were recorded as farmer’s sons. Ellen (24) and Bridget (21) were recorded as farmer’s daughters. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 7 outhouses. John Brien owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Head (34) was single. He could read and write. His cousin Patrick Kilkenny (8) could read. They were both recorded as farmer’s sons. They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows and 4 outhouses. John Head owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Tim Hanrahan (56) was a farmer. He was married to Mary (36). She recorded her occupation as a wife. They had 2 sons. William (7) and John (3) were scholars. They could not read. Tim and Mary could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 6 front windows and 2 outhouses. Tim Hanrahan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Mathias Killeen (81) was a widower. He was a farmer. He spoke Irish and English. John (45) was single. He was recorded as a farmer’s son. They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front windows.  There were no outhouses recorded.  Mathias Killeen owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Anne Staunton (42) was a widow. She was recorded as a farmer’s wife. She had 3 unmarried children. Patrick (20) and Timothy (18) were recorded as farmer’s sons. Mary (16) was recorded as a farmer’s daughter. Timothy could read only. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 5 outhouses. Anne Staunton owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Daly (22) was a farmer. He was married to Ellie (24). She was recorded as a farmer’s wife. They spoke English. Michael could not read. Ellie could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 1 outhouse. Michael Daly owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Winiford Reilly (60) was a widow. She spoke Irish and English. She had 3 unmarried children. Bridget (40) and Ellen (35) were recorded as farmer’s daughters. John (30) was recorded as a farmer’s son. Her nephew Hubert (11) was recorded as a farmer’s son. He could read and write. The rest of the family could not read. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 3 outhouses. Winiford Reilly owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Gantley (32) was a farmer. He was married to Ellen (30). There was no occupation recorded for her. His mother Mary (50) was a widow. She recorded her occupation as a housekeeper. She spoke Irish and English. Thomas (3) was recorded as a farmer’s son. Mary and Thomas could not read. Michael and Ellen could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 2 outhouses. Michael Gantley owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Gantley (46) was single. He was a farmer. He could read, write and spoke Irish and English. He lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 1 outhouse. Patrick Gantley owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Bridget Rock (47) was a widow. She was a farmer. She had 6 unmarried sons. Thomas (21), Patrick (18), John (16), Michael (13), James (8) and Andrew (5) were listed as farmer’s sons. All the family could read and write except for Andrew. He could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 4 front windows and 4 outhouses. Bridget Rock owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Mary Brien (40) was a farmer. She was married. Her daughter Bridget Hannon (24) was single. Her niece Lucy Whyte was 2 years old. Both were recorded as farmer’s daughters. Mary and Bridget spoke English. Lucy and Mary could not read. Bridget could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 2 outhouses. Mary Brien owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Head (56) was a farmer. He was married to Catherine (46). She recorded her occupation as a farmer’s wife. They had 2 unmarried children. Mary (21) was recorded as a farmer’s daughter. Patrick (14) was recorded as a farmer’s son. Mary and Patrick could read, write and spoke English. Catherine and Michael could not read.Michael spoke Irish and English. Catherine spoke English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows and 3 outhouses. Michael Head owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 14 houses in Lurgan More in 1911.  There were 42 residents in total: 24 were male and 18 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: John Winters, John Brien, Timothy Hanrahan, John Head, Michael Daly, Michael Head, Thomas Donohue, Patrick Gantley, Michael Gantley, Anne Staunton, Bridget Rock, John Reilly, Mary Brien and John Hannon. The census taken on the 18th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete except for Patrick Gantley’s walls. They were built with perishable material. The roofs were made with perishable material except for Timothy Hanrahan’s and Bridget Rock’s roofs. They were made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

John Winters (27) was a farmer. He was married for 3 years to Anne (29). There was no occupation recorded for Anne. They had 2 children with 2 living in 1911. Mary was 2 years old and Elizabeth was 1 month old. John and Anne could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 shed. John Winters owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Brien (80) was a widower. He was a farmer. He spoke Irish and English. He had 5 unmarried children. James (36), John (34) and Michael (28) were listed as farmer’s sons. Ellen (32) and Bridget (30) had no occupations recorded for them. The entire family could read and write. James also spoke English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 10 outhouses: 3 stables, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. John Brein owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Timothy Hanrahan (68) was a farmer. He spoke Irish and English. He was married for 19 years to Mary (50). They had 4 children with 4 living in 1911. Listed were 3 children. William (17) was recorded as a farmer’s son. John (13) and Martin (8) were scholars. All the family could read and write except for Martin. He could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 6 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 calf house, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Timothy Hanrahan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Head (47) was a farmer. He was married for 7 years to Bridget (44). There was no occupation recorded for Bridget. They had 2 children with 2 living in 1911. Mary and Bridget were both 5 years old. John could read and write. The rest of the family could not read or write. They spoke English only.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. John Head owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Daly (33) was a farmer. He was married for 11 years to Ellen (35). There was no occupation recorded for Ellen. They had 4 children with 4 living in 1911. Mary (10) and Katie (6) were scholars. Thomas was 4 years old and Sarah was 1 year old. Ellen and Mary could read and write. The rest of the family could not read or write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn. Michael Daly owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Head (73) was a farmer. He was married for 34 years to Catherine (57). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 3 children with 2 living in 1911. Unmarried Patk (26) was recorded as a farmer’s son. He could read and write. Michael and Catherine could not read or write. All 3 occupants spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 3 rooms and 2 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Michael Head owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Thomas Donohue (52) was a widower. He was a farmer. He could read, write and spoke Irish and English. He lived in a 3rd class house with 1 room and 3 front windows. There were no outhouses recorded. Thomas Donohue owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Gantley (56) was single. He was a farmer. He could read, write and spoke Irish and English. He lived in a 3rd class house with 1 room and 2 front windows. There were no outhouses recorded. Patk Gantley owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Gantley (45) was a farmer. He was married for 16 years to Ellen (45). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 2 children with 2 living in 1911. Thomas (13) and Michael (9) were scholars. Michael’s mother Mary (73) could not read or write. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 1 room and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Michael Gantley owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Anne Staunton (53) was a widow. She was a farmer. She had 2 unmarried sons. Patrick (30) and Timothy (28) were recorded as farmer’s sons. Anne and Patrick could read, write and spoke English. Timothy could read and spoke English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Anne Staunton owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Bridget Rocke (57) was a widow. She was a farmer. She had 3 unmarried sons. Patrick (28), Michael (24) and James (18) were recorded as farmer’s sons. The entire family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 4 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 piggery. Bridget Rocke owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Rielly (40) was a farmer. His sister Bridget (45) had no occupation recorded for her. Relative Hugh (21) recorded his occupation as an agricultural labourer. All 3 occupants were single. Hugh could read, write and spoke Irish and English. John and Bridget could not read or write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows. There were 2 outhouses: 1 cow house and 1 shed. John Rielly owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Mary Brien (60) was a farmer. She was married for 23 years. She could not read. She lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 1 stable. Mary Brien owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Hannon (46) was single. He was a carpenter. He could read and write. He lived in a 4th class house with 1 room, no front windows and no outhouses. Mary Brien owned the land the house was situated on.

This page was added on 18/09/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *