Ballynamurdoon is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Leitrim, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Castlenancy, on the west by Carra and Gurtdrisshagh, on the east by part of Castlenancy and Gurtymadden and on the south by part of Gurtymadden.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give this Irish spelling of the townland: Baile na mBurdun.
Down Survey map gives no information on who owned the land in the 1600s.
There was only 1 house in Ballynamurdoon in 1901. There were 6 residents in total: 2 were male and 4 were female. The head of the household was John Soughly. All residents were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The census taken on the 5th of April 1901 showed that the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.
John Soughly (60) worked as a shepherd. He was married to Mary (53). She recorded her occupation as a housekeeper. They had 4 unmarried children. Bridget (28) recorded her occupation as a dressmaker. Mary A (25) and Winifred (23) recorded their occupations as seamstresses. Patrick (18) recorded his occupation as a labourer. The entire family could read, write and spoke English. John and Mary also spoke Irish. They lived in a 1st class house with 8 rooms and 6 front windows. There were 10 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 harness room, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. Patrick Hughes of Annaghbeg Ballinasloe owned the land the house was situated on.
There was only 1 house in Ballynamurdoon in 1911. There were only 2 residents in total: 1 was male and 1 was female. They were Roman Catholic and were born in Co Galway. The head of the household was Patrick Soughly. The census taken on the 5th of April 1911 showed that the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.
Patrick Soughly (28) worked as a shepherd. He was married for 1 year to Annie (25). There was no occupation listed for Annie. They had no children recorded. They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 6 rooms and 4 front windows. There were 8 outhouses: 4 stables, 1 coach house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn. James Hughly of Fairfield owned the land the house was situated on.
Add a comment about this page