Finnure

Fionnuir, fair hill

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

My location
Get Directions

Finnure

Finnure is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan barony of Leitrim, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Ballyhogan, on the west by Cooracurka, on the east by Mullaghbeg and on the south by Castlenancy.

 

O’Donovan Field Name Books give 2 other spellings of this townland: Fionabhair and Fennor.

 

Down Survey map shows that the Earl of Clanrickard a protestant owned the land in 1641 and in 1670.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 2 houses in Finnure in 1901. There were 7 residents in total: 5 were male and 2 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: James Burke and Patrick Broderick. The census taken on the 5th of April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roofs were made with perishable material.

 

James Burke (39) worked as a shepherd. He spoke Irish and English. He was married to Margaret (35). There was no occupation recorded for her. Their son Thomas was 1 year old. Listed were Thomas Quinn (17) and Thomas Kelleher (14). They were recorded as farm servants. They were both single. All 4 adults could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 shed. Thomas Tully of Rafarn owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Broderick (62) worked as an agricultural labourer. He spoke Irish and English. His sister Bridget (55) recorded her occupation as a house keeper. They were both single. They could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 from windows. There were no outhouses listed. Thomas Tully of Rafarn owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 2 houses in Finnure in 1911. There were 9 residents in total: 5 were male and 4 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: James Burke and Patrick Broderick. The census taken on the 11th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roofs were made with perishable material.

 

James Burke (50) worked as a shepherd. He spoke Irish and English. He was married for 12 years to Margaret (47). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 5 children with 5 living in 1911. Thomas J (11), Mary A (9), Bridget A (8), James J (5) and Michael J (4) were scholars. Bridget A could read. James, Margaret, Thomas J and Mary A could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 shed. Thomas Tully owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Broderick (76) worked as a labourer. He was single. His sister Bridget (70) had no occupation listed for her. They could not read. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows. There were no outhouses listed. Thomas Tully owned the land the house was situated on.

 

This page was added on 27/03/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *