Mullaghmore

An Mullach Beag, small summit

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

 

Mullagh More is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan, barony of Longford, Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Corballymore, on the east by Corballyhogan and Lismakeigue, on the west by Mullabeg and on the south by Foxhall and Little Fox Hall.

 

O’Donovan’s field name books give these other spellings of this townland: Mulla Mor and Mullamore.

 

Down survey map under the names ‘Abbygormocane & Mulishe Abby Land’ shows the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant owned the land in 1641. It was owned in 1670 by Ulick Burke, Earl of Clanricard, a catholic and the Earl of Clanrickard, a protestant.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 10 buildings in Mullagh More in 1901 which included 2 schools and 1 church. The other 7 buildings were houses which had 31 residents in total. 19 were male and 12 were female. The heads of the households were: John A Ryan, Mary Hardiman, Ellen Hardiman, Richard Martin, John Hardiman, Thomas Keating and Roderick J Meagher. All occupants were born in Co Galway except for Roderick J Meagher. He was born in Co Tipperary. The census taken on the 4th and 19th of April 1901 showed that the 7 houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. John A Ryan’s, Thomas Keating’s and Roderick J Meagher’s house roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles. The other 4 roofs were made with perishable material.

 

John A Ryan (43) was a farmer. He was married to Angela (35). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 2 sons: Joseph (3) and Matthew (4 months old). John’s brother Denis (31) recorded his occupation as a farmer. Patrick White (43) was listed as a farm servant. Mary Cunniffe (28) was recorded as a domestic servant. Margaret Killigher (18) recorded her occupation as a nurse. All 4 were single. John A, Angela, Denis and Margaret could read and write. The other 4 occupants could not read. The entire household spoke English with John A and Denis also speaking Irish. They lived in a 1st class house with 12 rooms, 5 front windows and 13 outhouses. John A Ryan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Mary Hardiman (70) was a widow. She was a farmer. She had 2 unmarried sons. Michael (40) and John (35) were recorded as farmer’s sons. All 3 occupants could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms, 3 front windows and 8 outhouses. Mary Hardiman owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Ellen Hardiman (72) was a widow. She was a farmer. Her grandson Martin (4) was recorded as a farmer’s son. Visitor Annie Hardiman (8) was a scholar. Visitor Bridget Galvin (30) was single. She was recorded as a domestic servant. Ellen and Martin could not read. Annie could read.  Bridget could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 2 outhouses. Ellen Hardiman owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Richard Martin (68) was a farmer. He was married to Ellen (60). There was no occupation recorded for her. They spoke Irish and English. Richard could not read. Ellen could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms, 3 front windows and 5 outhouses. Richard Martin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Hardiman (33) was a farmer. He was married to Bridget (29). There was no occupation listed for her. They had 5 children. Mary (2) was listed as a farmer’s daughter. Thomas (5), Andrew (3) and James (2 months old) were listed as farmer’s sons. Step son Patrick Keon (7) was listed as a farmer’s son. Andrew, Mary and James could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 4 outhouses. John Hardiman owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Thomas Keating (64) worked as a shepherd. He was married to Ellen (45). There was no occupation recorded for her. Thomas’s brother in law Patrick Manton (51) recorded his occupation as a labourer. John Monahan (28) was recorded as a shepherd’s servant. They were both single. Thomas and Ellen could read, write and spoke Irish and English. Patrick could read and spoke Irish and English. John could read, write and spoke English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 3 outhouses. John A Ryan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Roderick J Meagher (52) was a parish priest. His niece Sara Ryan (22) was recorded as a under graduate of Royal University Dublin. Martin Glennon (23) was recorded as a servant man. All 3 occupants could read and write. They were all single. They lived in a 2nd class house with 10 rooms, 4 front windows and 5 outhouses. Rev J Meagher owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 9 buildings in Mullagh More in 1911 which included 1 church and 1 national school. The other 7 were houses, 2 of which were uninhabited. These were owned by Rose Fahy and Andrew Hardiman.  Rose Fahy’s house had 6 outhouses: 3 stables, 2 cow houses and 1 shed. Rose Fahy also owned the land the school and the church were situated on. The other 5 houses had 21 residents in total: 15 were male and 6 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway except for Roderick Meagher. He was born in Co Tipperary. The heads of the households were: Michael Hardiman, Thomas Keating, John Hardiman, Richard Martin and Roderick J Meagher. The census taken on the 13th of April 1911 showed that the 7 houses were built as private dwellings. The other 2 buildings were built as a church and a school. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Thomas Keating’s and Roderick Meagher’s roofs were made with slate, brick or tiles. The other 3 house roofs were made with perishable material.

 

Michael Hardiman (60) and his brother John (40) were farmers. They were both single. They could read, write and speak Irish and English. They lived in 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 9 outhouses: 2 stables, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. John Hardiman owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Thomas Keating (78) worked as a shepherd. He was married for 20 years to Ellen (69). There was no occupation recorded for her. John Monaghan (40) was recorded as a farm servant. Patrick Manton (72) recorded his occupation as a agricultural labourer. They were both single. Thomas and John could read and write. Ellen could read.  Patrick could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows, 1 stable and 1 cow house. Rose Fahy owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Hanrahan (44) was a farmer. He was married for 16 years to Bridget (36). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 8 children with 8 living in 1911. Thomas (15), Andrew (13), Mary (11), James (9) and Joseph (8) were scholars. John was (6), Michael (4) and Martin was (1). They could not read or write. The other 7 occupants could read and write. Andrew, James and Joseph spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 from windows. There were 5 outhouses: 2 stables, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house. John Hardiman owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Richard Martin (81) was a farmer. He was married for 46 years to Ellen (70). There was no occupation recorded for her. They spoke Irish and English. Ellen could read and write. Richard could not read or write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 from windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 cow house, 1 dairy and 1 barn. Richard Martin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Roderick Meagher (62) was a parish priest. His niece Sarah Ryan (28) had no occupation recorded. Catherine Duane (26) was recorded as a general domestic servant. They were both single. All 3 occupants could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 6 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 5 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 harness room, 1 barn and 1 shed. Rev Meagher owned the land the house was situated on.

This page was added on 15/03/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *