Mullabeg

An Mullach Beag, small summit

Jo Kelly/Galway Rural Development (GRD)

Mullabeg

 

Mullabeg is situated in the civil parish of Abbeygormacan barony of Longford Co Galway. It is bounded on the north by Corballymore, on the west by Lissheenahevnia, Finnure and part of Castlenancy, on the east by Mullamore and on the south by Fox Hall.

 

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give other spelling of the townland: Mullabeag and Mullagh Beg.

 

Down Survey map under the name ‘Abbygormocane & Mulishe Abby Land’ shows that the earl of Clanrickard, a protestant owned this land in 1641.  It was owned by Ulick Burke, Earl of Clanricard, a catholic and the earl of Clanrickard, a protestant in 1670.

 

Census 1901

 

There were 6 houses in Mullaghbeg in 1901. There were 29 residents in total: 13 were male and 16 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway except for Daniel O’Kelly. He was born in Co Kerry. The heads of the households were: John Broderick, Patrick Garvey, Maggie Martin, Michael Fallon, Maggie Curley and Daniel O’Kelly. The census taken on the 4th of April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Patrick Garvey’s and Daniel O’Kelly’s house roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles. The other 4 roofs were made with perishable material.

 

John Broderick (58) worked as a herd. He spoke Irish and English. He was married to Mary (35). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 5 children. Mary A (16), Bridget (14) and Ellen (12) were recorded as herd’s daughters. Michael (6) and John (2) were recorded as herd’s sons. Mary A, Bridget and Ellen could read and write. The rest of the family could not read. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 3 outhouses. Tim Ryan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Garvey (47) was a farmer. He was married to Anne (42). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 4 children. Lawrence (17), Michael (13) and John (7) were recorded as farmer’s sons. Agnes (5) was recorded as a farmer’s daughter. She could read. The rest of the family could read and write. Patrick, Anne and Lawrence spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 6 rooms, 5 front windows and 3 outhouses. Patrick Garvey owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Maggie Martin (40) was a widow. She was a farmer. She spoke Irish and English. She had 4 children. Mary (13) and Bridget (11) were recorded as farmer’s daughters. Michael (9) and Joseph (3) were recorded as farmer’s sons. Joseph could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 3 outhouses. Maggie Martin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Fallon (70) was a widower. He was a farmer. He had 2 unmarried children. Nora (26) was recorded as a farmer’s daughter. Martin (22) was recorded as a farmer’s son. Michael could not read. He spoke Irish and English. Nora and Martin could read, write and spoke English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 1 front window and 3 outhouses. Michael Fallon owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Maggie Curley (66) and lodger Mary Smyth (85) had no occupations recorded for them. They were both widows. They could not read. They spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 2 outhouses. Maggie Curley owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Daniel O’Kelly (53) was a pensioner from R.I.C. He spoke Irish and English. He was married to Winifred (39). She recorded her occupation as a school teacher. They had 3 children. Mary P (10), Hanora B (6) and Daniel P (3) were scholars. His niece Mary Craughwell (15) was recorded as an assistant house keeper. Daniel P could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 6 rooms, 5 front windows and 4 outhouses. Tim Ryan owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Census 1911

 

There were 6 houses in Mullaghbeg in 1911. 1 house was uninhabited. Michael Fallon owned the land this house was situated on. The other 5 houses had 23 residents in total: 15 were male and 8 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway except for Daniel O’Kelly. He was born in Co Kerry. The heads of the households were: Daniel O’Kelly, Margaret Martin, Michael Fallon, Patrick Garvey and John Broderick. The census taken on the 13th of April 1911 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Margaret Martin’s house roof was made with perishable material. The other 4 roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles.

 

Daniel O’Kelly (62) was an ex sergeant of the R.I.C. He was married for 27 years to Winifred (53). She recorded her occupation as a National Teacher. They had 3 children with 3 living in 1911. Mary (20) was single. There was no occupation recorded for her. Hanora (16) and Daniel (13) were scholars. The entire family could read, write and speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 4 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 fowl house and 1 shed. Daniel O’Kelly owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Margaret Martin (50) was married for 25 years. There was no occupation recorded for her. She had 6 children with 3 living in 1911. Michael (19) and Joseph (13) were recorded as farmer’s sons. All 3 occupants could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 1 cow house. Margaret Martin owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Michael Fallon (80) was a widower. He was a farmer. He had 2 unmarried sons. Martin (35) and Matthew (43) were recorded as farmer’s sons. Patrick Broderick (23) was recorded as a farm servant. All 3 occupants were single. They could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. There were 4 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Michael Fallon owned the land the house was situated on.

 

Patrick Garvey (63) was a farmer. He was married for 31 years to Anne (60). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 8 children with 8 living in 1911. Listed were 3 unmarried children. Laurence (29) and Michael (25) were recorded as farmer’s sons. There was no occupation recorded for Anne (19). The entire family could read, write and spoke English. Patrick also spoke Irish. They lived in a 2nd class house with 6 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 3 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 piggery and 1 barn. Patk [sic] Garvey owned the land the house was situated on.

 

John Broderick (75) worked as a collier. He spoke Irish and English. He was married for 26 years to Mary (56). There was no occupation recorded for her. They had 7 children with 6 living in 1911. Listed were 3 children. Michael (16), John (12) and Thomas (9) were scholars. Granddaughter Agnes was 3 years old. Agnes, John (75) and Mary could not read or write. Michael, John (12) and Thomas could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows and 1 shed. John Broderick owned the land the house was situated on.

This page was added on 07/03/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *