In the Ordnance Survey Name Books the standard name was given as Cloonoolish, the Irish form as Cluain Umhluis, meaning low lawn. George D.H. Kirkaldy wrote the name as Cloonoulisk while Rev. Francis Coghlan opted for Cluanoulis. The official Irish spelling is Cluain Dúlais.
Cloonoolish townland lies between Killadulisk and Spring Grove in the parish of Kilquain, Lisaniska North, Killiane and Laughile in the parish of Killimorbologue. It contained several farmhouses, limekilns, a trigl. station, some planting in hedgerows, a large portion of bog and some arable land.
Census 1841, 1851
1841 census statistics showed a population of one hundred and fifty one people occupying twenty six houses, with a post famine reduction to twelve houses in 1851, accommodating sixty four people.
Griffith’s Valuation 1855
The total annual valuation of the townland, which in total comprised three hundred and sixteen acres, three roods and twenty nine perches, was £83.18s.0d, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. Of the three holdings that existed in Cloonoolish, one holding of two hundred and ninety three acres, three roods and four perches, was held by the landowner John Eyre, at a total annual valuation of £76.0s.0d. There was a herd’s house on this land. John Eyre rented out one holding of twenty one acres, three roods and twenty two perches to John Burke, who held a house and office (shed) on this land. The other holding of one acre, one rood and three perches, on which there was a house, was rented out to Laurence Mulrooney.
Census 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891
Census statistics showed a big reduction in the population by 1861, when thirty four people lived in seven houses. In 1871 thirty six people occupied six houses. A further reduction is noted in 1881 with five houses accommodating twenty two people. In 1891 twenty two people lived in 5 houses.
The names John Nevin and Patrick Nevin were listed in 1901 as owning private dwellings.
Patrick Nevin, a farmer, aged 31, his wife, Ellen, 29 years, and their one-year-old son, Michael P. lived in Cloonoolish in 1901. Two other people also lived in the house: a 27 year old single farm labourer named Pat Bourke, and 14 year old Mary Bourke, described as a nurse and domestic servant. All occupants were Roman Catholic and were born in Co. Galway. Patrick, Ellen and Mary could read and write but Pat Bourke was unable to do so.
Patrick Nevin was the landholder on which his 2nd class house was built. The house had 3 rooms, 3 windows in front, a thatch or wood roof, and stone/brick or concrete walls.
There were 5 out-offices on the holding: a shed, a barn, a piggery, a cow house and a stable.
The census form, signed by Patrick Nevin, was collected on 1st April 1901. The Enumerator was Michael Mulligan, Constable.
John Nevin, a 29 year old farmer, and head of family, occupied house 1. His younger brother, Michael, who was 27, and a farm servant, named Honoria Daly, 55, also lived in the house. All were Roman Catholic, were unmarried and born in Co. Galway. John could read and write but Honoria was unable to do so.
The house was built on John Nevin’s holding and was listed as 2nd class. It had stone/brick or concrete walls, a thatch or wood roof, 3 front windows and 3 rooms occupied by the residents.
There were 5 out-offices with the house and they included a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed.
The census form was signed by John Nevin and collected on 1st. April. Michael Mulligan, Constable, was the Enumerator.
In the 1911 census, the above names were still listed with that of John Mulrooney added, who was named as landholder and head of family.
Patrick Nevin, his wife Ellen, their 4 children and 2 servants lived in Cloonoolish in 1911. Patrick was a 40 year old farmer and head of family. Ellen was aged 39. They were married 12 years, had 6 children, with 4 still living. Their children were: Michael P, 11 years old, James V, 8 years of age, Mary Ellen who was 5 and John M, aged 3. The 3 older children were described as scholars. Twenty-six year old John Rock was the male servant, and the female servant was named as Mary Doherty, aged 23. Both were unmarried. All residents were Roman Catholic and were born in Co. Galway. Michael P and James V could speak English and Irish. Mary Ellen and John M were listed as being unable to read, whereas the rest of the occupants could read and write.
The Nevin’s private dwelling, built on Patrick’s own holding, was listed as a 2ndclass house. It had 6 rooms, walls of stone/brick or concrete, a tiled/slate or iron roof and 3 windows in front.
There were 8 out-offices along with the house: a shed, a barn, a fowl house, a piggery, a calf house, a cow house, a stable and a coach house.
Patrick Nevin signed the census form which was collected on 4th April 1911. The Enumerator was J. M. Mullooly, Constable.
Michael Nevin, his wife Margaret, and a niece, Bridget Flynn, were listed as residents of house 1 in Cloonoolish (Derrew, Galway). Michael, a farmer, was 33 years of age and Ellen was 25 years. Bridget was 13. All 3 were Roman Catholic, born in Co. Galway and could read and write. Bridget, a scholar, was able to speak Irish and English.
Michael Nevin’s 2nd class house was built on his own holding. Four rooms were occupied by the family. The house had 3 front windows, a thatch or wood roof and walls of stone/brick or concrete.
Included in the 8 out-offices were: a barn, a fowl house, a piggery, a cow house, a calf house, a coach house and 2 stables.
The Enumerator was J.M. Mullooly, Constable. The census form was signed by Michael Nevin and was collected on April 4th.
John Mulrooney, a 66 year old single man, lived in Cloonoolish in 1911. His occupation was given as farm labourer. John was born in Co. Galway, was Roman Catholic and was able to read and write.
According to Form B 1 – House and Building Return, John’s 3rd class house, was built on his own holding. It had stone/brick or concrete walls, a thatch or wood roof, 2 rooms and 2 front windows.
There were 2 out-offices listed on Form B 2: a fowl house and a shed.
John Mulrooney’s mark x on the census form was witnessed by J.M. Mullooly, Constable, who was the Enumerator. The form was collected on April 4th.