The first reference to this townland found in the Ordnance Survey Name Books was during the reign of King James I (1603-1625), when it was spelled Laughill. Two versions of the standard name were given as Laughile and Laughil. The Irish form was Leamhchoill, meaning elm wood. Rev. Francis Coghlan spelled the name Laghoil and George D.H. Kirkaldy wrote Laughile. It is currently spelt An Leathchoill.
In the 1830s the townland contained a small village of the same name and was bounded by Killadoolisk, Cloonoolish, Killiane and Kilcrow. With the exception of about one acre of bog, it was all arable. It contained a Danish fort and was intersected with by-roads and ditches, thickly planted in hedgerows. The Ordnance Survey Map showed an eel weir in Laughil.
1841, 1851 Census
Census statistics showed the population was twenty nine in 1841, reduced to twenty two in 1851, while the number of houses remained at three on both occasions.
Griffith’s Valuation 1855
Lord Dunsandle, who was the landowner at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, owned eighty two acres, two roods and thirty two perches. He leased out the land in four holdings, the largest portion consisting of eighty two acres and three perches. This portion was rented out to James Walsh and Denis Walsh, who each had a house and offices on the land. Thomas Blackstock of Killadulisk, held thirty seven perches, at a total annual valuation of £0.3s.0d., and William Coghlan of Kilcrow, held one rood and thirty two perches, the total annual valuation of which was £0.5s.0d.
Census 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891
Census statistics showed thirteen people occupying two houses in 1861. Similarly in 1871 thirteen people lived in two houses. Seventeen people resided in two houses in 1881 and by 1891 there were sixteen people in the two houses.
The 1901 census listed two houses in Laughil, the landholder and head of each family were given as Mary Walsh and John Dolan. One house had a roof of slate while the other had thatch, with three windows in the front of each house. There were seven persons in the Walsh family and eight in the Dolan family.
Maria Walsh was a widow, a farmer and head of family in house 1 in Laughil in 1901. Her 2 sons, 2 daughters, her nephew and a farm servant lived with her. Maria was 60, the older son, John, was 37, Patrick was 28, Annie was 22 and the younger daughter Katie was 20 years. Maria’s nephew, William Brien, was 9 and the servant, Peter Deeley was 17 years. John was a rate collector; Patrick’s occupation was given as farmer’s son; the daughters were seamstresses, and William was a scholar. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. William was able to read, Maria spoke Irish and English, and the rest of the family could read and write.
Maria’s private dwelling, listed as a 2nd class house, was built on her own holding. The walls were brick, stone or concrete, the roof was slate, iron or tiles; it had 3 windows in front and 3 rooms were occupied.
There were 6 out-offices on the holding; a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn and a shed.
Maria Walsh signed the census form which was collected on 3rd April. The Enumerator was J. M. Mulligan, Constable.
John Dolan, his wife Ann, their 5 children and his cousin, Maria Walsh, were residents of house 2. John was a 57 year old farmer who was born in King’s County. Ann was 51 and the cousin, Maria was 28 years. The older daughter, Mary was 26, Patrick was 25, next was Michael who was 24, Annie was 22 and the younger girl, Elly, was 19. Maria, Mary and Annie were listed as farmer’s daughters and Elly was a seamstress. Patrick and Michael were described as farmer’s sons. All the family, were Roman Catholic, born in Co. Galway (except John) and could read and write. At this point all the young people were not married.
John’s house had a thatch or wood roof, walls of stone, brick or concrete, 3 front windows and 3 rooms occupied by the family. It was built on John’s holding and listed as 2nd class.
The out-offices on the holding were a shed, a barn, a piggery, a cow house and a stable.
The census form, which was collected on 3rd April, was signed by John Dolan. The Enumerator was J. M. Mulligan, Constable.
The 1911 census recorded the same information but gave Maria Walsh as the landholder and head of family. There were five persons in the Dolan family and six in the Walsh family in 1911.
John Dolan and his wife, Anne, were married for 41 years, and had 6 children, 5 of whom were living. John was now 73 and Anne was 71 years. The 3 children in the house were: Patt (sic) aged 39, Mike who was 34 and 31 year old Ellen. The men were listed as farmers. All family members could read and write, were born in Co. Galway (see 1901 census) and were Roman Catholic.
Dolan’s house, described as 2nd class, was built on John’s holding. Five rooms were occupied by the family; there were 3 windows in front, the walls were of stone, brick or concrete and the roof was thatch or wood.
Nine out-offices were listed: 1 barn, 1 fowl house, 1 piggery, 1 calf house, 1 coach house, 2 cow houses and 2 stables.
The census form, signed by John Dolan, was collected on 4th April. The Enumerator was J. M. Mullooly, Constable.
Maria Walsh, according to the 1911 census, was an 80 year old farmer’s wife and widow. Her 2 sons, her daughter, a servant and a boarder lived with her. John, aged 43, was single and a rate collector; Patt (sic) was 30, single and described as a farmer’s son; Kate, 25 and single was a farmer’s daughter. Thomas Hasset, the farm servant was 62 and the male boarder named William Brien, was 17 and a rate collector’s assistant. All the residents were born in Co. Galway and were members of the Catholic Church. Maria spoke Irish and English while the others spoke English. Thomas and William could read; Maria and the sons and daughter could read and write.
Four rooms in Maria’s house were occupied by the family. It was a 2nd class house built on Maria’s holding; it had 3 front windows, a thatch or wood roof and stone, brick or concrete walls.
The 9 out-offices on the holding included 2 stables, 1 coach house, 2 cow houses, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.
Maria Walsh, as head of family, signed the census form which was collected on 4th April. J. M. Mullooly, Constable, was the Enumerator.