While the standard name given in the Ordnance Survey Name Books was Oxgrove no Irish version was given, however, the Placenames Commission records it today as Garrán an Daimh. Oxgrove was the version that was used by George D.H. Kirkaldy and Rev. Francis Coghlan.
The townland of Oxgrove is bounded by Innisdeligney, Aughinney, Killiane, Nail (Inga), Magheramore and Derrysiskal. In the early 1800s it contained a few farmhouses and a ruin. A large portion of the land was marsh and inundated (flooded), while the remainder of the land was arable and was intersected with ditches planted in hedgerows.
Census 1841, 1851
Census statistics recorded a population of fifteen people in 1841 living in three houses and reduced to eight people in just one house in 1851.
Griffith’s Valuation 1855
Griffith’s Valuation gave the total acreage as eighty nine acres, two roods and seventeen perches, and named the landowner as Lord Dunsandle. He leased out all this land to James Coghlan, who had a herd’s house and offices on the land.
Census 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891
Census statistics showed one house accommodating seven people in the townland in 1861 and two houses with five people in 1871. In 1881 eight people occupied one house reduced to seven people in the one house by 1891.
The 1901 census recorded one house in Oxgrove; the landholder was named as Bridget Kirwan of Killiane, while the head of family was Mary Anne Duffy. This particular house had a thatch roof, one window in front with seven persons living there.
Bridget Kirwan of Killiane was named on form B 1- House and Building Return as the landholder on which a private dwelling was built. The head of the family residing in the house was given as Mary Duffy.
Form B 2 – Return of Out-Offices and Farm Steadings shows that the house was 3rd class with 1 room accommodating 7 persons of the same family. The walls were of stone/brick or concrete. The roof was thatch or wood and there was 1 window in front.
The census form was collected on April 12th 1901.
No house recorded for Oxgrove in 1911 Census.