Three variations of the standard or ‘received’ name of this townland are given in the Ordnance Survey Name Books; Rosseens, Rishinney and Rusheeny. The OS Books gave the Irish version as Roisinidhe, meaning little points or woods. Its official Irish name today is Na Roisíní. Rev. Francis Coghlan spelled the name Rishinny while George D.H. Kirkaldy wrote it as Rushiny or Russiny.
Corry, Magheramore, Killimor and Boleybeg, Moneenaveena and Ahanduffmore border it. Circa 1830 it contained a few farmhouses, two limekilns, sandbanks, and a large portion of bog. Some of the land was arable while a portion was inundated (flooded). The Ordnance Survey Map showed a Ford on the river, between Magheramore and Rusheeny.
1841, 1851 Census
The population of Rusheeny, according to pre-famine census statistics, was fifty three people in nine houses in 1841. By 1851, the population had dropped by forty six, to just seven people occupying only one house.
Griffith’s Valuation 1855
The total acreage at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, was one hundred and twenty one acres, two roods and five perches, at a total annual valuation of £27.10s.0d. The landholder was Lord Dunsandle, who retained forty five acres, three roods and thirty perches of bog for himself. He rented out the remainder of the land to Joseph Hardy, who did not live on the land.
Census 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891
Census statistics showed two people and one house in Rusheeny in 1861. There were no houses or population there in 1871, 1881, or 1891.
Again, neither the 1901 nor 1911 census records showed any population or house in Rusheeny.
Again, neither the 1901 nor 1911 census records showed any population or house in Rusheeny