Curraghrevagh

An Currach Riabhach

Emma Ruane/Heritage Office, Galway County Council

Field in Curraghrevagh
Carmel O'Rourke
My location
Get Directions

Curraghrevagh

Civil Parish of Kilbegnet

An Currach Riabhach, Grey marsh

Curraghrevagh is situated in the civil parish of Kilbegnet, Barony of Ballymoe, County Galway. Curraghrevagh townland can be found one mile North East of Moat East Village located in Moat, parish of Kilbegnet.

The Down Survey Map indicates the Down Survey name of Curraghrevagh was Culleraghnane alias Colraghan. The 1670 owners were John Lord Kingston and Lord Kingston, both of whom were Protestants. There were 39 profitable plantation acres and 39 acres were forfeited.

O’Donovan’s Field Names Books states there is a Roman Catholic Chapel at the South Eastern boundary where several roads converge. At both the North West and Eastern boundary there is a portion of bog land. A Fort can be found in the Northern part of Curraghrevagh. There is a road that travels through the Eastern part of the townland. The remaining land is made up of tillage and pasture.

Census 1841-1851

The townland of Curraghrevagh consisted of 429 acres, 1 rood and 38 perches. The 1841 population was 115 people, 57 were male and 58 were female. There were 19 houses, 18 of which were occupied. The population in 1851 had decreased to 78 people, 36 were male and 42 were female. In 1851 there were 15 houses, and all were occupied. The poor law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £169-5-0.

Griffith’s Valuation 1847-1864

According to Griffith’s Valuation Rev. Solomon Richards and others leased to several tenants. Martin Morgan paid £3-0-0 for 31 acres, 0 roods and 10 perches of land. 46 acres, 1 rood and 38 perches were jointly leased to Thomas Keher, Thomas Coyne, Thomas Hurley, Jeremiah Nicholson and William Nicholson. Thomas Keher paid £2-3-0 for house and land, Thomas Coyne paid £2-5-0 for house and land, Thomas Hurley paid £3-5-0 for house, office and land, Jeremiah Nicholson paid £6-0-0 for house, office and land and William Nicholson paid £1-15-0 for land. Thomas Neary paid a total of £135-10-0 for 248 acres, 1 rood and 10 perches of herd’s house and land; a cottier’s house was on the same holding. Patrick McDonagh rented 1 acre, 0 roods and 4 perches of land for £0-10-0. Catherine Kyne paid £1-10-0 for house and land measuring 5 acres, 0 roods and 4 perches. Thomas Corr paid £50-10-0 for house, offices and land measuring 85 acres, 2 roods and 26 perches. Martin Flanagan occupied a cottier’s house on the same holding. Michael Flanagan rented from Thomas Corr, paying £3-5-0 for house and land measuring 3 acres, 2 roods and 6 perches. Francis Hanly rented from John Kelly paying £1-15-0 for 0 acres, 2 roods and 10 perches of house offices and land. The total annual valuation of rateable property was £216-3-0.

Census 1901

There were 7 houses in Curraghrevagh in 1901 and all were occupied. There was a population of 28 people, 12 of whom were male and 16 were female. The heads of the households were as follows: John Keaveny, Anne Brannelly, Martin Flanagan, Thomas Keane, Thomas Timothy, Patt Nicholson and Catherine Nicholson. All inhabitants were from County Galway, except John Keaveny who was born in County Roscommon. All residents were Roman Catholic. Each house was listed as a private dwelling. There were 19 farm steadings comprising 5 stables, 1 coach house, 7 cow houses, 2 piggeries, 1 fowl house, 2 barns and 1 shed. The census forms were collected on April 1st.

John Keaveny (76) lived with his wife Mary (69), their 3 children, Annie (26), Ellie (25) and Thomas (24) and grandson John (13). John listed his occupation as carpenter master, while his son Thomas also worked as a carpenter. Annie and Ellie were carpenter’s daughters and John was a scholar. All members of the family were born in County Galway, except grandson John who was born in County Roscommon. John, his wife and their 2 eldest children spoke Irish and English. All members of the family could read and write. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while the roof was made of perishable material. John owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house.

Anne Brannelly (33) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her 2 daughters Mary (7) and Anne (5), her brother Thomas Egan (42) and visitor Kate Anne McDonagh (16). Mary and Kate Anne were scholars. Thomas worked as a general labourer. All members of the household could read and write, except Anne, who could not read. No language was listed for any family member, suggesting they spoke English only. The family occupied a 2nd class dwelling with 5 front windows and 4 rooms. Permanent material was used to construct the walls of the house, while the roof was made of perishable material. Anne owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house and 1 piggery.

Martin Flanagan (42) was a married farmer. He lived with his wife Kate (38) and their 3 children, James (5), Maggie (5) and Kate (2). Martin and his wife could both read and write, while naturally the children were too young at the time of the census. No language was listed for any member of the family. The Flanagan family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 3 rooms. The roof was made using permanent material, while perishable material was used for the roof of the house. Martin owned the land on which the house was located along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Thomas Keane (21) lived with his wife Anne (24) and his widowed mother Hanora Flanagan (58). Thomas was a farmer. All members of the family could read and write. No language was listed for any family member, suggesting they spoke English only. The Keane family occupied a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Permanent material was used for the walls of the house while the roof was made of perishable material. Thomas owned the land on which his house was situated as well as 1 stable and 1 cow house.

Thomas Timothy (24) was an unmarried shepherd. He lived with his brother Denis (11). Denis was a scholar. The brothers could read and write, but no language was listed, suggesting they spoke English only. The siblings lived in a 2nd class house with 2 front windows and 4 rooms. Both the walls and the roof of the house were made of permanent material. Michael Neary of Aghalateeve owned the land on which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 fowl house.

Patt Nicholson (60) lived with his wife Catherine (45) and their 2 children William (24) and Ellen (8). Patt worked as a farmer, while William’s occupation was listed as a farmer’s son. Ellen was a scholar. Patt could not read or write, but he spoke Irish and English. Catherine, William and Ellen could read and write, but they spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Permanent material was used for the construction of the walls, while the roof of the house was made of perishable material. Patrick owned the land on which the house was situated along with 1 cow house and 1 barn.

Catherine Nicholson (65) was a widow. She lived with her 2 children, Michael (35) and Celia (14). Catherine was a farmer, Michael was listed as a farmer’s son and Celia was a farmer’s daughter. While all members of the family could read and write only Catherine could speak both Irish and English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while the roof was made using perishable material. Catherine owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 shed.

Census 1911

There were 7 houses in Curraghrevagh in 1911, and all were occupied. The total population was 34 people, 16 were male and 18 were female. The heads of the households were as follows: Michael Nicholson, Pat Nicholson, Thomas Timothy, Thomas Keane, Martin Flanagan, Thomas Keaveny and Thomas Egan. All residents were from County Galway, except Nora Timothy, Annie M. Keane and Honor Flanagan who were all born in County Roscommon. All residents were Roman Catholic. Each house was listed as private dwelling. There were 23 farm steadings: 7 stables, 5 cow houses, 7 piggeries and 4 barns. The census forms were collected on the 3rd of April.

Michael Nicholson (40) lived with his wife of 1 year Catherine (27) and his widowed mother Catherine (78). Michael and Catherine had 1 child, however sadly the child did not survive. Michael and his wife could read and write. His mother could not read or write. No language was listed for any family member, suggesting they spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Permanent material was used to build the walls of the house, while the roof was made of perishable material. Michael owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Pat Nicholson (70) was a married farmer. He lived with his wife Catherine (56) and 2 of their children, William (36) and Ellen (19). Pat and Catherine had been married for 36 years and had 5 children, 3 of whom were living at the time of the census. Pat was a farmer, William was listed as a farmer’s son while Ellen was a farmer’s daughter. All members of the family could read and write, except Pat who could not read or write. No language was listed for any member of the family suggesting they spoke English only. The Nicholson family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while the roof was made of perishable material. Pat owned the land on which his house was located along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Thomas Timothy (30) lived with his wife of less than 1 year Nora (31) and his unmarried brother John (27). Thomas listed his occupation as a herd, while John worked as a labourer. Nora was born in County Roscommon, while both Thomas and John were born in County Galway. All members of the family could read and write; however, no language was listed suggesting they spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 2 front windows and 3 rooms. Permanent material was used for the construction of the walls and the roof of the house. Michael Neary owned the land on which the house was situated along with 1 stable and 1 piggery.

Thomas Keane (30) lived with his wife of 10 years Annie M. (35), their 4 sons, Malachy (7), Michael (5), James (3) and Thos (1) and his widowed aunt Honor Flanagan (73). Thomas and Annie had 5 children, 4 of whom were living in 1911. Thomas was a farmer and his 2 eldest children were scholars. Annie and Honor were born in County Roscommon, while the rest of the family were born in County Galway. Thomas, Annie, Malachy and Honor could read and write, while the other children were too young at the time of the census. No language was listed for any member of the family, suggesting they spoke English only. The Keane family occupied a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Perishable material was used to build the roof of the house, while the walls were made of permanent material. Thomas owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Martin Flanagan (52) lived with his wife Kate (49), their 3 sons, James (15), Martin (10) and William (8) and their 4 daughters, Margaret (15), Kate (12), Mary Jane (7) and Nora (4). Martin and Kate had been married for 16 years and had 8 children, 7 of whom were living in 1911. Martin was a farmer and all his children were scholars, except the youngest daughter Nora. All members of the family could read and write, except Nora who was too young at the time of the census. Only Kate (49) spoke Irish and English, while the rest of the family spoke English only. The Flanagan family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while the roof was build using perishable material. Martin owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 piggery.

Thomas Keaveny (36) was an unmarried carpenter. He lived with his 2 unmarried sisters Anne (29) and Ellen (28) and his aunt Anne Morrissey (73). All members of the family could read and write, except Anne (73) who could read only. No language was recorded for any member of the family, which may indicate they spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Permanent material was used for the construction of the house walls, while the roof was made of perishable material. Thomas owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable and 1 piggery.

Thomas Egan (47) was an unmarried farmer. He lived with his widowed sister Anne Brannelly (44) and his 2 nieces Mary (17) and Annie (14). All members of the family could read and write. Mary and Annie spoke Irish and English, while Thomas and his sister spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 5 front windows and 5 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while the roof was made of perishable material. Thomas owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

This page was added on 13/05/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *