Garraun North

An Garrán Thuaidh

Emma Ruane/Heritage Office, Galway County Council

Garraun North Townland Stone
Carmel O'Rourke
My location
Get Directions

Garraun North

Civil Parish of Kilbegnet

An Garrán Thuaidh, Grove

Garraun North is situated in the civil parish of Kilbegnet, Barony of Ballymoe, County Roscommon. Garraun North can be found 2 miles to the east of Moat East Village in the townland of Moat.

The Down Survey Map as of the 6th April 2020, there is no available information on the townland of Garraun North on the Don Survey Map.

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books states there are two Danish Forts to be found in Garraun North, one id in the North, while the other is in the South. In the North West is a portion of bog, a road passes North East and South East through it. The foundation of a Roman Catholic chapel is located on the side of the South East road. Tillage and pasture land make up the remainder of the land.

Census 1841-1851

According to the 1851 census, Garraun North consisted of 225 acres, 2 roods and 26 perches. In 1841 there was a population of 108 people, 52 were male and 56 were female. There were 16 households, 15 of which were occupied. By 1851 the population had decreased to a total of 73 people, 43 were male and 30 were female. In 1851, there were 14 houses, 13 were occupied. The poor law valuation paid in 1851 was £79-9-0.

Griffith’s Valuation 1847-1864

According to Griffith’s Valuation, St. George Caulfield owned the land and leased it to several tenants. John Jones rented two lots on the same holding, one lot measured 35 acres, 3 roods and 7 perches of house and land and the other was 0 acres, 1 rood and 30 perches of land. John paid a total of £10-5-0. Oliver Jones paid £15-10-0 for house, office and land measuring 23 acres, 2 roods and 26 perches. Patrick Sheil paid £41-0-0 for 47 acres, 3 roods and 9 perches for herd’s house and land. Charles Kelly rented 8 acres, 0 roods and 9 perches of house and land for £5-15-0.

Charles Kelly and John Kelly jointly rented land measuring 6 acres, 3 roods and 37 perches, each paid £2-5-0. Rev, Wm. Mulrennin rented 21 acres, 0 roods and 25 perches of house, offices and land for £19-5-0. The Roman Catholic Chapel and associated land was exempt from payment.

Thomas Ryan paid £5-15-0 for house, office and land measuring 7 acres, 0 roods and 22 perches. John Sheil paid £8-0-0 for land measuring 8 acres, 1 rood and 26 perches. Patrick Kelly rented 14 acres, 2 roods and 24 perches of house, office and land for £10-5-0. Philip Hara paid £9-0-0 for 14 acres, 1 rood and 36 perches of land. John Lilly rented land measuring 9 acres, 3 roods and 28 perches of £7-10-0. Thomas Ryan Jun. rented house, offices and land measuring 4 acres, 0 roods and 12 perches for £4-0-0. John Ryan paid £14-5-0 for house, office and land measuring 17 acres, 0 roods and 38 perches. Hugh Mooney rented from John Lilly paying £1-15-0 for 1 acre, 2 roods and 34 perches of house and land. Denis Fitzpatrick rented from St. George Caulfield paying £2-10-0 for 2 acres, 2 roods and 4 perches of house and land.

The total annual valuation of rateable property was £137-5-0 excluding the exemption made for the Roman Catholic Chapel.

Census 1901

There was a total of 7 households and 1 Roman Catholic Chapel in Garraun North in 1901. The total population was 32 people, 15 were male and 17 were female. The heads of the households were as follows: Maria Ryan, Thomas Ryan, John Kelly, Bernard Geraghty, Edward Mulrennan, Martin Finerty and Margaret Kelly. All residents were Roman Catholic, and each were born in County Galway, unless indicated otherwise.

Each of the buildings were listed as private dwellings, except Building Number 8. which was the Roman Catholic Chapel. There were 31 farm steadings; 9 stables, 2 coach houses, 1 harness house, 8 cow houses, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 4 piggeries, 2 fowl houses, and 3 barns. The census forms were collected on the 11th of April.

Maria Ryan (52) was an unmarried farmer who lived with her unmarried sister Ellen (50). Ellen’s occupation was described as a farmer’s sister. Each sister could read and write, and each spoke Irish and English. The sisters lived in a 2nd class dwelling with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls were made of permanent material, while the walls were constructed using perishable material. Maria owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable and 1 cow house.

Thomas Ryan (80) lived with his wife Eliza (70) and their 2 unmarried children, William (30) and Lizzie (25). Thomas worked as a farmer, while William was recorded as a farmer’s son and Lizzie was a farmer’s daughter. Each member of the family could read and write. Thomas and Eliza spoke Irish and English, while their children spoke English only. The Ryan family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 5 rooms. Permanent material was used to build the walls of the house, while the roof was made of perishable material. Thomas owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

John Kelly (45) lived with his wife Theresa (40), their son Patrick (20) and their 3 daughters Mary M. (9), Lizzie (8) and Theresa (6). John worked as a farmer, while Patrick’s occupation was recorded as a farmer’s son. All of the daughters were scholars. Each member of the family could read and write. John spoke Irish and English, while his family spoke English only. The Kelly family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls of the house were constructed using permanent material, while perishable material was used for the roof of the house. John owned the land on which his house was located along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Bernard Geraghty (49) was the parish priest who lived with 2 servants, Kate Lohan (37) and Patrick Burk (18). Kate was a house keeper and general domestic servant, while Patrick was a general domestic servant. Each member of the household could read and write. Irish and English was spoken by each person in the household. Bernard was born in County Roscommon, while Kate and Patrick were born in County Galway. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 5 front windows and 7 rooms. Both the walls and the roof of the house were made of permanent material. There were also 3 stables, 1 coach house, 1 harness house, 2 cow houses, 1 dairy, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house. Bernard was the landholder.

Edward Mulrennan (45) lived with his wife Catherine (46), their daughter Kate (13) and their 3 sons, Edward (16), Peter (11) and William (9). Edward was a farmer, while each of his children were scholars. Each member of the family could read and write. No language was listed for any member of the family, suggesting they spoke English only. Edward (45) was born in County Roscommon, while the rest of his family were born in County Galway. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 6 front windows and 4 rooms. The walls and the roof of the house were made of permanent material. Edward owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable and 1 cow house.

Martin Finerty (33) was a married national school teacher. He lived with his wife Mary J. (33), their 3 sons John (5), William (2) and Pat (6 months) and their daughter Margt [sic] (3). There were also 2 servants in the household, Norah Deaton (21) was a general domestic servant and Bridget Leech (12) was recorded as a domestic nurse. Mary J. also worked as a national school teacher. All members of the household could read and write, except the 3 youngest children, Margt, William and Pat who were naturally too young to read at the time of the census. Martin and his wife both spoke Irish and English, while the rest of the household spoke English only. Mary J. was born in County Roscommon, while the others were born in County Galway. The Finerty family lived in a 2nd class house with 5 front windows and 4 rooms. Permanent material was used to construct both the walls and the roof of the house. Hugh Jones of Fairfield owned the land on which the house was situated on along with 1 stable and 1 cow house.

Margaret Kelly (39) was a widowed farmer who lived with her unmarried siblings Patrick Warde (24) and Nellie Warde (20). Patrick worked as a general labourer and Nellie was a scholar. All members of the family could read and write. Margaret and Patrick spoke both Irish and English, while Nellie spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 4 rooms. Permanent material was used for the walls of the house while the roof was made using perishable material. Margaret owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Census 1911

There were 8 households in Garraun North in 1911, all of which were occupied. The total population was 32 people, 17 were male and 15 were female. The heads of the households were as follows: Martin Finerty, Anne Jones, Edward Mulrenin, Bernard J. Geraghty, John Kelly, William Ryan, Marie Ryan and Margert Kelly. All inhabitants were Roman Catholic. All were born in County Roscommon, except Martin Finerty, Maria Connelly, Anne Jones and Kate Lohan who were born in County Galway.

Each house was listed as a private dwelling. There were 43 farm steadings, consisting of 8 stables, 3 coach houses, 1 harness house, 8 cow houses, 4 calf houses, 1 dairy, 6 piggeries, 6 fowl houses, 3 barns, 1 turf house, 1 shed and 1 coal house. The census forms were collected on the 8th of April.

Martin Finerty (42) lived with his wife of 16 years Mary J. (48), their daughter Margt M. (13), their 3 sons William M. (12), Patrick (10) and Bernard J. (9). There was also a general domestic servant in the household Maria Connelly (18). Martin and Mary J. had 6 children, unfortunately only 5 were living in 1911. Both Martin and his wife worked as national school teachers. Each of the children were scholars. All members of the household could read and write but only Martin and Mary spoke both Irish and English, while the others spoke English only. Martin and Maria Connelly were born in County Galway, while the rest of the household were born in County Roscommon.                                            The Finerty family lived in a 2nd class house with 4 front windows and 5 rooms. Permanent material was used for the construction of both the walls and the roof of the house. There was also 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 turf house. Martin was the landholder.

Anne Jones (57) was a widowed farmer, who lived with her unmarried brother Thomas Hinaghan (41) and her son Christopher Jones (21). Each member of the family worked as a farmer. All members of the family could read and write. Anne spoke Irish and English, while Thomas and Christopher spoke English only. Anne was born in County Galway, while the others were born in County Roscommon. The family lived in a 2nd class dwelling with 5 front windows and 4 rooms. The walls and the roof of the house were made using permanent material. Anne Jones owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Edward Mulrenin (58) lived with his wife Kate (58), their 3 unmarried sons, Edward (27), Peter (20) and William (18) and their daughter Katie (22). Edward and Kate had been married for 33 years and had 7 children, 5 of whom were living in 1911. Edward worked as a farmer, while each of his sons were recorded as a farmer’s son. Katie worked as a national school teacher. All members of the family could read and write. No language was listed for any member of the family, suggesting they spoke English only. Each member of the family was born in County Roscommon. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 5 front windows and 5 rooms. Permanent material was used for the construction of the walls and the roof of the house. Edward owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 fowl house.

Bernard J. Geraghty (59) was the parish priest and canon. He lived with 2 servants, Kate Lohan (63) who worked as a house keeper and domestic servant and Hugh McKeon (24) who was a general domestic servant. All members of the household could read and write. Bernard and Kate spoke Irish and English, while Hugh spoke English only. Bernard and Hugh were born in County Roscommon and Kate was born in County Galway. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 6 front windows and 10 rooms. Permanent material was used to construct the walls and the roof of the house. There was also 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 harness house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 coal house. Rev. Bernard was the landholder.

John Kelly (65) lived with his wife Theresa (55) and their 3 unmarried children, Patrick (30), Mary M. (18) and Eliza (16). John and Theresa had been married for 30 years and had 4 children, all of whom were living in 1911. John was a farmer, while Patrick was listed as a farmer’s son. Mary M. and Eliza were farmer’s daughters. All members of the family could read and write, except John who could write only. John spoke Irish and English while his family spoke English only. Each member of the family was born in County Roscommon. The Kelly occupied a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while the roof was made of perishable material. John owned the land on which his house was situated along with 2 stables, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

William Ryan (40) was an unmarried farmer. He lived with his unmarried sister Lizzie (30). William and Lizzie could read and write. No language was listed for the siblings, suggesting they spoke English only. They were both born in County Roscommon. The Ryan family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows. Permanent material was used for the walls of the house, while the roof was made using perishable material. William owned the land on which his house was located along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Marie Ryan (72) was an unmarried farmer who lived with her unmarried sister Ellen (72) and unmarried nephew Thos (48).  Thos worked as a farm labourer. All members of the family could read and write, and they spoke English only. Each member of the family was born in County Roscommon. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while the roof was made of perishable material. Maria owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 cow house.

Margert Kelly (52) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her unmarried brother Patrick Warde (33) and unmarried sister Ellen Warde (30). Patrick also worked as a farmer. All members of the family could read and write. Each member of the family spoke English only. They were all born in County Roscommon. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Permanent material was used for the construction of the walls, while the roof of the house was made of perishable material. Margert owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl h

This page was added on 15/05/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *