Áth an Mhuilinn
Emma Ruane/Heritage Office, Galway County Council
Civil Parish of Kilbegnet
Millford is situated in the civil parish of Kilbegnet, Barony of Ballymoe, County Galway. Located one-mile East is Creggs Village in the townland of Creggs.
The Down Survey Map states the 1670 (Post Cromwell) owners of Millford, under the name Gravagh, were John Bourke (Catholic) and Sir Maurice Hurley (Protestant). There were 473 plantation acres of unprofitable land. 369 plantations acres were of profitable land and 369 plantation acres were forfeited.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books suggests there is no remarkable feature in Millford. Millford is a small townland consisting of tillage and pasture.
According to the 1851 census, Millford consists of 250 acres, 0 roods and 25 perches. The 1841 population was 110 people, 59 were male and 51 were female. There were 19 houses, 18 of which were occupied. By 1851 the population had decreased to 72 people, 39 were male and 33 were female. There were 13 houses in 1851, all of which were occupied. The poor law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £120-10-0.
According to Griffith’s Valuation, Allen Pollock was the immediate lessor of the land. Martin Morrissy paid a total of £1-5-0 for land measuring 3 acres, 0 roods and 6 perches and house and land measuring 2 acres, 1 rood and 8 perches.
Allen Pollock kept 207 acres, 0 roods and 5 perches of steward’s house, office and land, 3 acres, 0 roods and 35 perches of land and 4 cottier’s houses in fee worth £155-5-0.
James Mee rented house and land measuring 3 acres, 2 roods and 16 perches paying £1-15-0. Honoria paid £0-15-0 for 1 acre, 2 roods and 17 perches of house and land. Patrick Galvin paid a total of £8-10-0 for land measuring 7 acres, 3 roods and 0 perches; house, office and land measuring 1 acre, 0 roods and 22 perches and another lot of land measuring 6 acres, 1 rood and 27 perches.
Martin Coyne rented 8 acres, 3 roods and 34 perches of house, office and land and 0 acres, 1 rood and 0 perches of cottier’s house and garden for £5-10-0. Owen Mee and Thomas Mee jointly rented land measuring 4 acres, 3 roods and 15 perches, each paying £1-0-0. The total annual valuation of rateable property was £175-0-0.
There were 2 households in Millford in 1901, both of which were occupied. The heads of the household were as follows: Catherine Coyne and Sarah Satchwell. The total population was 5 people, 2 were male and 3 were female. All residents were born in County Galway, except Ellen Kelly who born in County Roscommon. All were Roman Catholic, except Sarah and Allen Satchwell in House 2, who listed their religion as Irish Church.
Both houses were listed as private dwellings. There were 16 farm steadings, all belonging to House 2. The date the census forms were collected was not recorded.
Catherine Coyne (70) was a widowed cottier. She lived with her unmarried son Pat (30). Pat worked as an agricultural labourer. While Catherine could read only, Pat could read and write. Catherine spoke Irish and English and there was no language listed for Pat suggesting he spoke English only. Catherine and her son were born in County Galway. The family lived in a 3rd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Perishable material was used for the construction of the walls and the roof of the house. Sarah Satchwell was the landholder.
Sarah Satchwell (56) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her unmarried son Allen (36) and general domestic servant Ellen Kelly (30). Allen was listed as a farmer’s son. All members of the household could read and write. No language was listed, suggesting they spoke English only. While both Sarah and her son were born in County Galway, Ellen was born in County Roscommon. Ellen was a Roman Catholic. Sarah and Allen listed their religion as Irish Church. The family lived in a 1st class house with 12 front windows and 17 rooms. Permanent material was used to build the walls and the roof of the house. Sarah owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 harness house, 1 cow house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 2 fowl houses, 1 boiling house, 1 barn, 1 turf house, 1 potato house, 1 workshop, 2 sheds, 1 store and 1 forge.
There was just 1 house in Millford in 1911. It was headed by Allen Satchwell and occupied by his family. There was a population of just 2 people, 1 male and 1 female. They were both born in County Galway and were members of the Church of Ireland. The house was listed as a private dwelling. There were 16 farm steadings. The census forms were collected on the 15th of April.
Allen Satchwell (45) was an unmarried farmer who lived with his widowed mother Sarah (65). Both Allen and Sarah could read and write. No language was listed for either member of the family, suggesting they spoke English only. Allen and his mother were both born in County Galway. The family listed their religion as Episcoplian. The Satchwell family occupied a 1st class house with 15 front windows and 8 rooms. The walls and the roof of the house were both constructed using permanent material. Allen owned the land on which his house was situated along with 2 stable, 1 coach house, 1 harness house, 2 cow houses, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 boiling room, 1 barn, 1 turf house, 1 shed, 1 store and 1 laundry.