Lenanmarla

Léana an Mharla

Emma Ruane/Heritage Office, Galway County Council

Lenanmarla Townland Stone
Carmel O'Rourke
My location
Get Directions

Lenanmarla

Civil Parish of Kilbegnet

Léana an Mharla, water meadow of the marl

Lenanmarla is located in the civil parish of Kilbegnet, Barony of Ballymoe, County Galway. Approximately 1¼ mile East of Lenanmarla is Lisduff Village, situated in the townland of Lisduff.

The Down Survey Map indicates the 1670 owner of Lenanmarla was John Bourke (Catholic). The Down Survey name was Liscrunvally. There were 88 plantation acres of profitable land and 88 plantation acres were forfeited.

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books states a portion of bog can be found in the North West corner of Lenanmarla. A portion of Lough is located in the South. The remaining land is made up of tillage and pasture.

Census 1841-1851

According to the 1851 census, Lenanmarla consists of 286 acres, 2 roods and 3 perches. The 1841 population was 119 people, 57 were male and 62 were female. There were 20 houses in 1851, all of which were occupied. By 1851 the population had decreased to 59 people, 28 were male and 31 were female. There were 10 houses and 9 were occupied. The poor law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £88-0-0.

Griffith’s Valuation 1847-1864

According to Griffith’s Valuation Rev Solomon Richards and others were the immediate lessors of the land. Bridget Mee, Patrick Neill, Thomas Curley, Patrick Griffin, Michael Britton and Bryan Hurley jointly rented 115 acres, 2 roods and 27 perches. Bridget paid £8-5-0 for house, office and land. Patrick paid £9-0-0 for house, office and land. Thomas paid £6-0-0 for house office and land. Patrick Griffin paid £9-10-0 for house, office and land. Michael paid £5-15-0 for house, office and land. Bryan Hurley paid £10-0-0 for land.

Patrick Scanlan rented house and land measuring 56 acres, 3 roods and 5 perches for £23-15-0. Michael Naughton paid £14-10-0 for 34 acres, 3 roods and 31 perches of house, office and land.

Bridget Mee paid £3-0-0 for land measuring 4 acres, 2 roods and 38 perches. Patrick McGuire paid a total of £13-0-0 for house, office and land measuring 22 acres, 2 roods and 34 perches and land measuring 2 acres, 3 roods and 28 perches. William Nicholson and Jeremiah Nicholson jointly rented land measuring 19 acres, 2 roods and 32 perches each paying £3-5-0. The total annual valuation of rateable property was £109-5-0.

Census 1901

There were 9 houses in Lenanmarla in 1901, all of which were occupied. The total population was 46 people, 25 were male and 21 were female. The heads of the households were as follows: John Mee, Thomas Neill, John Curley, Thomas F. McGuire, John Naughton, Michael Naughtin, Kate Chapman, John Griffin and Pat Griffin. All inhabitants of Lenanmarla were born in County Galway and all were Roman Catholic.

All houses were listed as private dwellings. There were 25 farm steadings, comprising of 4 stables, 2 coach houses, 7 cow houses, 2 calf houses, 5 piggeries, 3 fowl houses and 2 barns. The census forms were collected on the 3rd of April.

John Mee (63) was a widower who lived with his 2 sons Thomas (21) and Willie (13) and his 3 daughters, Ellie (19), Hannah (17) and Maggie (15). John worked as a farmer, Thomas was listed as a farmer’s son and both Ellie and Hannah were farmer’s daughters. Maggie and Willie were scholars. All members of the family could read and write. John spoke Irish and English, while his children spoke English only. The Mee family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while the roof was constructed of perishable material. John owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 fowl house.

Thomas Neill (56) lived with his wife Julia (56), their 2 daughters Anne (18) and Mary (16) and their3 sons, Patrick (14), Owen (11) and Michael (8). Thomas was a farmer and Anne was listed as a farmer’s daughter. Mary, Patrick, Owen and Michael were scholars. All members of the family could read and write. Thomas and Julia spoke both Irish and English, while their children spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Permanent material was used for the walls of the house, while perishable material was used for the roof. Thomas owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house and 1 piggery.

John Curley (60) was a married farmer. He lived with his wife Anne (40), their 2 daughters Bridget (14) and Mary (2) and their 5 sons, Thomas (12), John (10), Pat (10), William (9) and Michael (6). All of the children, except the youngest Mary, were scholars. All members of the family could read and write, this included Mary according to the census record. John (60) spoke Irish and English, while the rest of the family spoke English only. The family occupied a 2nd class dwelling with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls of the house were constructed using permanent material, while the roof was built using perishable material. John owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house and 1 piggery.

Thomas F. McGuire (50) lived with his wife Jane (45), their nephew James P. Muldoon (9) and farm servant Michl Luck [sic] (14). Thomas worked as a farmer and James was a scholar. All members of the household could read and write. No language was listed for any person in the house, suggesting they spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Permanent material was used to construct the walls of the house, while the roof was made of perishable material. Thomas owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

John Naughton (70) lived with his wife Celia (60). John worked as a farmer. John could read and write, while his wife could read only. Both John and Celia spoke Irish and English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 5 front windows and 4 rooms. Permanent material was used for the construction of both the walls and the roof of the house. John owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Michael Naughtin (35) lived with his wife Mary (30) and their 3 daughters, Hannora (6), Celia (4) and Mary (2). Michael worked as a farmer. Michael and his wife could read and write, while their children could not read or write. Each person in the family spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. The walls and the roof of the house were made using permanent material. John Naughton of Leananmarla was the landholder.

Kate Chapman (75) was a widowed cottier who lived alone. Kate could not read, but she spoke both Irish and English. Kate lived in a 3rd class house with 1 front window and 2 rooms. The walls of the house were made using permanent material, while perishable material was used for the roof. William Neary was the landholder.

John Griffin (50) lived with his wife Mary (36) and his unmarried sister Bridget (51). John worked as a farmer and Bridget was listed as a farmer’s sister. All members of the family could read and write. John spoke Irish and English, while Mary and Bridget spoke English only. The family lived in a 3rd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Perishable material was used for the construction of the walls and the roof of the house. John owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house and 1 piggery.

Pat Griffin (55) lived with his wife Honor (48), their 5 sons, Thomas (22), Pat (19), Michael (17), John (13) and Cornelius (6) and their 2 daughters Maggie (14) and Mary (10). Pat was a farmer, while Thomas, Pat and Michael were listed as farmer’s sons. Maggie was a farmer’s daughter. John, Mary and Cornelius were scholars. All members of the family could read and write except Pat (55) who could not read and Cornelius who could read only. Pat (55) and his wife spoke Irish and English, while their children spoke English only. The family lived in a 3rd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls and the roof of the house were constructed using perishable material. Pat owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house and 1 piggery.

Census 1911

There were 7 houses in Lenanmarla in 1911, all of which were occupied. The total population was 30 people, 13 were male and 17 were female. The heads of the households were as follows: Thomas F. McGuire, Mary Naughton, John Griffin, Patrick Griffin, Anne Curley, Thomas Neill and Thomas Mea. All inhabitants were born in County Galway, unless stated otherwise. All residents were Roman Catholic. Each of the houses were listed as private dwellings. There was a total of 28 farm steadings, 7 stables, 7 cow houses, 1 calf house, 6 piggeries, 1 fowl house and 6 barns. The census forms were collected on the 3rd of April.

Thomas F. McGuire (62) lived with his wife Jane (59) and their nephew James P. Muldoon (21). Thomas and Jane had been married for 32 years and didn’t have any children. Thomas was a farmer and James was listed as a visitor. All members of the family could read and write. No language was listed for any family member, suggesting they spoke English only. Thomas was born in County Galway, while Jane and James were born in County Roscommon. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while the roof was constructed using perishable material. Thomas owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Mary Naughton (40) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her 3 daughters, Celia (14), Mary Ellen (12) and Teresa (10), her son John (7), her widowed mother-in-law Cecelia (73) and her unmarried sister Hannah Hurley (24). Each of Mary’s children were scholars. Hannah’s occupation was listed as a visitor. All members of the family could read and write. No language was listed for any member of the family, suggesting they spoke English only. The family occupied a 2nd class house with 5 front windows and 4 rooms. Permanent material was used for the construction of the walls and the roof of the house. Mary owned the land on which her house was house was situate along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

John Griffin (57) lived with his wife of 15 years Mary (47). John and Mary did not have any children. John worked as a farmer. Both John and Mary could read and write. No language was listed for John or Mary, suggesting they spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Permanent material was used for the walls of the house, while the roof was made of perishable material. John owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable and 1 cow house.

Patrick Griffin (69) lived with his wife Norah (65) and 2 of their children, Maggie (25) and Cornelius (17). Patrick and Norah had been married for 32 years and had 7 children, all of whom were living in 1911. Patrick worked as a farmer. All members of the family could read and right [sic]. Patrick and Norah spoke Irish and English, while their children spoke English. The Griffin family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls of the house were made using permanent material, while the roof was made using perishable material. Pat owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Anne Curley (49) was a widowed farmer. Anne lived with her 3 daughters, Bridget (24), Mary (12) and Ellen (8) and her 3 sons Thomas (22), William (19) and Michael (15). Mary and Ellen were scholars. All members of the family could read and write. No language was listed for any member of the family, suggesting they spoke English only. The Curley family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. While the roof of the house was made of perishable material, the walls were constructed using permanent material. Anne owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Thomas Neill (69) lived with his wife Julia (59), their daughter Mary (26) and their 2 sons Patrick (24) and Michael (18). Thomas and Julia had been married for 34 years and had 7 children, 6 of whom were living in 1911. Thomas worked as a farmer, while Patrick and Michael worked as labourers. All members of the family could read and write, except Julia who could read only. Thomas and Julia spoke Irish and English, while their children spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Permanent material was used for the construction of the house walls, while the roof was made using perishable material. Thomas owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Thomas Mee (32) was an unmarried farmer who lived with his unmarried sister Margaret (24). Both Thomas and Margaret could read and write. They each spoke English only. The siblings occupied a 2nd class dwelling with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. permanent material was used to build the walls of the house, while the roof was made of perishable material. Thomas Mea owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

This page was added on 10/07/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *