Gort na Leamhaí
Emma Ruane/Heritage Office, Galway County Council
Civil Parish of Kilbegnet
Gortnalavey is situated in the civil parish of Kilbegnet, Barony of Ballymoe, County Galway. Located at the Southern boundary of the parish, Gortnalavey joins the parish of Athleague, Barony of Killian, County Galway.
The Down Survey Map indicates the 1670 (Post Cromwell) owner of Gortnalavey, under the name Shrallvagher was John Lord Kingston and Lord Kingston, both Protestants. There were 56 plantation acres of profitable land and 56 plantations acres were forfeited.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books states that a village of the same name can be found in the South corner of Gortnalavey. Approximately 1/3 of the townland consists of bog. The remainder of the land is pasture and tillage.
According to the 1851 census, Gortnalavey consists of 155 acres, 3 roods and 29 perches. The 1851 population was 130 people, 63 were male and 67 were female. There were 26 houses in Gortnalavey in 1841, 24 of which were occupied. By 1851 the population had decreased to 77 people, 35 were male and 42 were female. There were 16 houses, all of which were occupied. The poor law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £35-5-0.
According to Griffith’s Valuation Allen Pollock owned the land. Allen Pollock, Mary Kilroe, Michael Finneran, Martin Flanagan, Michael Corbett and Thomas Finneran jointly held the same holding measuring a total of 155 acres, 3 roods and 29 perches. Allen Pollock kept land, 4 cottier’s houses and offices worth £32-0-0 in fee. Mary Kilroe paid £1-17-0 for house and land. Michael Finneran paid £4-0-0 for house and land. Martin Flanagan paid £5-5-0 for house and land. Michael Corbett rented house and land for £3-4-0. Thomas Finneran paid £3-0-0 for house, office and land. The total annual valuation of rateable property was £49-6-0.
Census 1901 and Census 1911
Despite research the 1901 and 1911 Census records for Gortnalavey could not be found as of the 10th of July 2020. Research is ongoing.