Garraun South

An Garrán Theas

Emma Ruane/Heritage Office, Galway County Council

Garraun South Townland Stone
Carmel O'Rourke
My location
Get Directions

Garraun South

Civil Parish of Kilbegnet

An Garrán Theas, Grove

Garraun South is located in the civil parish of Kilbegnet, Barony of Ballymoe, County Roscommon. Situated 2 miles north of Garraun South is a large Danish Fort located in the townland of Rossmoylan in Kilbegnet parish.

The Down Survey Map as of the 14th of April 2020, the Down Survey Map does not provide any information on the townland of Garraun South.

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books states that located close to the centre of Garraun South is a Danish Fort. The Creggs to Dunammon road shapes the Northern boundary. There is a limestone quarry close to this boundary. Another road forms the Eastern boundary, while a stream forms a large part of the remaining boundary. The remaining land consists of tillage and pasture.

Census 1841-1851

According to the 1851 census, Garraun South consisted of 154 acres, 2 roods and 2 perches. The 1841 population was 68 people, 38 were male and 30 were female. There were 11 houses, all of which were occupied. By 1851, the population had decreased to 30 people, 18 were male and 12 were female. There were 6 houses, all of which were occupied. The poor law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £62-0-0.

Griffith’s Valuation 1847-1964

According to Griffith’s Valuation St. George Caulfield owned the and leased to several tenants. John Sheil paid £34-0-0 for 30 acres, 3 roods and 5 perches of herd’s house and land. Thomas Ryan rented 45 acres, 2 roods and 30 perches of land for £30-0-0. Peter Curley paid £14-10-0 for house and land measuring 24 acres, 2 roods and 14 perches. Peter Kelly and Patrick Kelly jointly rented 38 acres, 2 roods and 20 perches. Peter paid £11-15-0 for house and land, while Patrick paid £11-5-0 for land. John Keane paid £4-10-0 for 5 acres, 3 roods and 13 perches of house, office and land. The total annual valuation of rateable property was £106-0-0.

Census 1901

There were 4 houses in Garraun South in 1901, 3 of which were occupied. The total population was 14 people, 6 were male and 8 were female. The heads of the households were John Kelly, Pat Curley and Annie Kane. All residents of Garraun South were born in County Galway and all were Roman Catholic. Each house was listed as a private dwelling. They were 11 farm steadings: 2 stables, 3 cow houses, 3 piggeries, 1 fowl house and 2 barns. The census forms were collected on the 1st of April.

John Kelly (44) lived with his wife Maria (35), their 3 children, Peter (4), Mary Jane (2) and John (1), their niece Mary Jane Ginaoy (8) and his widowed mother Bridget Kelly (70). John worked as a farmer and his niece Mary Jane was a scholar. All members of the family could read and write, except Peter, Mary Jane (2) and John (1) as they were naturally too young to read at the time of the census. John spoke Irish and English while the rest of his family spoke English only. The Kelly family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 4 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while the roof was made of perishable material. John owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Pat Curley (40) was an unmarried farmer who lived with his 3 unmarried siblings, Thomas (55), Catherine (50) and Ellen (30). Thomas worked as a farm labourer, while both sisters were listed as farmer’s sister. All members of the family could read and write. No language was listed for any member of the family suggesting they spoke English only. The siblings lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Permanent material was used to construct the walls of the house, while the roof was made of perishable material. Pat owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Anne Kane (33) was an unmarried farmer who lived with her nephew William McLoughlin (22) and her niece Alice McLoughlin (15). William worked as a shop assistant and Alice was a scholar. All members of the family could read and write. They each spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while perishable material was used for the roof of the house. Anne owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 cow house and 1 piggery.

Census 1911

There were 3 houses in Garraun South in 1911, all of which were occupied. The total population was 15 people, 8 were male and 7 were female. The heads of the households were Patrick Curley, John Kelly and Annie Keane. All inhabitants were born in County Roscommon, except William McLoughlin who was born in County Roscommon and Annie Keane who born in County Galway. There were 14 farm steadings: 3 stables, 1 coach house, 3 cow houses, 1 calf house, 2 piggeries, 2 fowl houses, 1 barn and 1 shed. The census forms were collected on the 8th of April.

Patrick Curley (57) lived with his wife of 10 years Kate (45), their 2 daughters Maggie (9) and Annie (6) and their 3 sons Peter (8), Patrick (4) and Martin (3). Patrick worked as a farmer, while his 3 eldest children were scholars. All members of the family could read and write, except Annie, Patrick and Martin as they were too young to read at time of the census. No language was listed for any member of the family, suggesting they spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while the roof was made of perishable material. Patrick owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 shed.

John Kelly (57) lived with his wife Maria (54), their 3 children Peter (14), Mary J. (13) and John (11) and his widowed mother Bridget (85). John and Maria had been married for 15 years. John worked as a farmer and his children were scholars. All members of the family could read and write. No language was listed for any member of the family, suggesting they spoke English only. The Kelly family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 4 rooms. Permanent material was used to construct the walls of the house, while the roof was made of perishable material. John owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Anne Keane (40) was an unmarried farmer and lived with a boarder, William McLoughlin (58) who was a widower. William was a pensioner of the R.I.C. He had 4 children before becoming a widower, unfortunately only 3 of his children were living in 1911. Annie was born in County Galway, while William was born in County Leitrim. They both spoke English only. They lived in a 2nd class house with 4 front windows and 4 rooms. Permanent material was used to construct both the walls and the roof of the house. Annie owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 coach house and 1 cow house.

 

This page was added on 15/05/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *