Emma Ruane/Heritage Office, Galway County Council
Civil Parish of Kilbegnet
Oughtagh is situated in the civil parish of Kilbegnet, Barony of Ballymoe, County Roscommon. Approximately 1¼ mile North of Oughtagh is a monument in the townland of Kilbegnet.
The Down Survey Map provides no information on the townland of Oughtagh.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books describes the landscape of this townland as consisting of tillage and pasture. There is no remarkable feature within this townland.
According to the 1851 census, Oughtagh consists of 77 acres, 3 roods and 19 perches. There was 14 people in 1841, 9 were male and 5 were female. There were just 2 houses, and both were occupied. The 1851 population was a total of 15 people, 11 were male and 4 were female. There were 2 houses, both of which were occupied. The poor law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £37-15-0.
According to Griffith’s Valuation, St. George Caulfield was the immediate lessor of the land. James Lilly paid £53-0-0 for 74 acres, 0 roods and 36 perches of house, offices and land. Flan McEvoy paid £3-5-0 for house and land measuring 3 acres, 2 roods and 23 perches. The total annual valuation of rateable property was £56-5-0.
There was just 1 house in Oughtagh in 1901. It was headed by Joseph Lilly and occupied by his family. The total population was 3 people, 2 were male and 1 was female. All were born in County Galway. The house was listed as a private dwelling. There were 9 farm steadings. The census forms were collected on the 18th of April.
Joseph Lilly (37) was an unmarried farmer. He lived with his unmarried brother Thomas (40) and his unmarried sister Maria (39). Thomas was listed as a farmer’s son and Maria was a farmer’s daughter. All members of the family could read and write. No language was listed for any family member, suggesting they spoke English only. Joseph and Thomas were members of the Church of Ireland, while Maria was a Roman Catholic. The siblings lived in a 1st class house with 7 front windows and 7 rooms. Permanent material was used to construct the walls and the roof of the house. Joseph owned the land on which his house was situated along with 2 stables, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.
There was just 1 house in Oughtagh in 1911. The was headed by Joseph Lilly and occupied by his family. The 1911 population was 8 people, 5 were male and 3 were female. Each person was born in County Roscommon, except Rose Conlon who was born in County Armagh. The house was listed as a private dwelling and there were 12 farm steadings. The census forms were collected on the 12th of April.
Joseph Lilly (49) was an unmarried farmer. He lived with his 3 brothers, widower Daniel (64), Patrick (60) and Thomas (52), his unmarried sister Maria (57), 2 servants Maria Mulvihill (15) and Michael Kelly (21). Also in the house on the night of the census was visitor Rose Conlon (36). Daniel, Patrick and Thomas were each listed as farmer’s brothers. Visitor Rose worked as a domestic nurse. Maria Mulvihill was a general domestic servant and Michael was a farm servant. All members of the household could read and write. No language was listed for any member of the household, suggesting they spoke English only. Each person in the house was born in County Roscommon, except Rose Conlon who was born in County Armagh. Joseph and his 3 brothers were members of the Church of Ireland, while the rest of the household were Roman Catholic. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 7 front windows and 8 rooms. Both the walls and the roof of the house were made using permanent material. Joseph owned the land on which his house was situated along with 5 stables, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 2 calf houses, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.