An Lios Dubh
Emma Ruane/Heritage Office, Galway County Council
Civil Parish of Kilbegnet
Lisduff is situated in the civil parish of Kilbegnet, Barony of Ballymoe, County Roscommon. Lisduff is located approximately ½ mile South-South East of a monument found in the townland of Kilbegnet.
The Down Survey Map provides no information on the townland of Lisduff.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books indicates a minor road travels in South Easterly direction through Lisduff for approximately 24 chains and then turns North East for a further 12 chains. A Danish Fort can be found on the East of the road. Lisduff Village is located on the North and South side of the road. The remaining land consists of tillage and pasture.
According to the 1851 census, Lisduff consists of 104 acres, 0 roods and 15 perches. The 1841 population was 115 people, 65 were male and 50 were female. There were 22 houses, 21 of which were occupied. By 1851 the population had decreased to 18 people, 6 were male and 12 were female. It is indicated there was only 1 house in 1851. The poor law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £48-15-0.
According to Griffith’s Valuation, St. George Caulfield was the immediate lessor of the land. Thomas Croghan paid a total of £12-5-0 for house office and land measuring 11 acres, 1 rood and 28 perches, land measuring 1 acre, 2 roods and 2 perches and another lot of land measuring 6 acres, 3 roods and 10 perches.
Patrick Kenny rented 41 acres, 1 rood and 37 perches of land for £22-0-0. Charles Kelly paid £8-15-0 for land measuring 12 acres, 1 rood and 0 perches. John Kelly rented land measuring 12 acres, 1 rood and 20 perches for £8-0-0. Philip Kelly paid £7-0-0 for 9 acres, 3 roods and 17 perches of land.
Thomas Carr paid £2-5-0 for land measuring 4 acres, 1 rood and 6 perches. John Mulry paid £0-15-0 for 2 acres, 1 rood and 15 perches of land. John Fitzmaurice rented land measuring 1 acre, 3 roods and 0 perches for £0-15-0. The total annual valuation of rateable property was £61-15-0.
There was only 1 household in Lisduff in 1901. Pat Croghan was the head of this household and it was occupied by his family. The total population was 7 people, 2 were male and 5 were female. Each person was born in County Roscommon and all were Roman Catholic. the house was listed as a private dwelling and there were 3 farm steadings. The census forms were collected on the 18th of April.
Pat Croghan (52) lived with his wife Bridget (41), their 4 daughters Mary (16), Ellen (11), Margaret (4) and Delia (2) and their son John (8). Pat worked as a farmer, while Mary, Ellen and John were scholars. All members of the family could read and write, except the youngest 2 children, Margaret and Delia, who were too young to read at the time of the census. No language was listed for any member of the family suggesting they spoke English only. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 4 rooms. The walls of the house were made of permanent material, while the roof was made of perishable material. Pat owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 piggery.
In 1911 there was only 1 household in Lisduff, and this house was headed by Patrick Croghan. The total population was 5 people, 2 were male and 3 were female. All were born in County Roscommon and each were Roman Catholic. The house was listed as a private dwelling and there were 6 farm steadings. The census forms were collected on the 4th of April.
Patrick Croghan (64) lived with his wife Bridget (54), their son John (18) and their 2 daughters Margaret (14) and Delia (11). Patrick and Bridget had been married for 29 years and had 7 children, all of whom were living in 1911. Patrick worked as a farmer and John was listed as a farmer’s son. Both Margaret and Delia were scholars. All members of the family could read and write. No language was listed for any member of the family, suggesting they spoke English only. The family occupied a 2nd class dwelling with 4 front windows and 4 rooms. Permanent material was used for the construction of the walls, while the roof of the house was made using perishable material. Patrick owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed.