An Móinín Rua
Emma Ruane/Heritage Office, Galway County Council
Civil Parish of Kilbegnet
Moneenroe is situated in the civil parish of Kilbegnet, Barony of Ballymoe, County Galway. The townland is located at the Southern boundary of Kilbegnet parish joining the road of Athleague, Barony of Killian, County Galway.
The Down Survey Map indicates the 1670 (Post Cromwell) owners of Moneenroe were John Lord Kingston (Protestant) and Lord Kingston (Protestant). The Down Survey name was Rosmullane. There were 246 plantation acres of unprofitable land and 78 plantation acres of profitable land. 78 plantations acres were forfeited.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books states there is no remarkable feature of this townland. The land is made up tillage and pasture.
According to the 1851 census, Moneenroe consists of 161 acres, 2 roods and 3 perches. There were 52 people in 1841, 22 were male and 30 were female. The 12 houses in 1841 were all occupied. The population in 1851 was also 52 people, 20 were male and 32 were female. There were 14 houses, all of which were occupied. The poor law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £45-5-0.
According to Griffith’s Valuation Allen Pollock was the immediate lessor of the land. Patrick Nolan paid £12-0-0 for 28 acres, 2 roods and 12 perches of land. Thomas Coleman rented house and land measuring 1 acre, 0 roods and 3 perches for £0-10-0.
Allen Pollock kept house and land measuring 40 acres, 3 roods and 33 perches, land measuring 1 acre, 3 roods and 36 perches, a lot of land measuring 4 acres, 2 roods and 11 perches, another lot of land measuring 52 acres, 3 roods and 14 perches and two cottier’s houses and garden measuring 0 acres, 0 roods and 10 perches in fee worth £35-10-0.
Patrick Troy paid £10-10-0 for 19 acres, 2 roods and 11 perches of house, office and land. Thomas Glynn paid £4-5-0 for land measuring 11 acres, 3 roods and 33 perches. The total annual valuation of rateable property was £62-15-0.
There were 4 houses in Moneenroe in 1901, only 2 of which were occupied. The heads of the households were Thomas Kelly and Hubert Satchwell. The total population was 12 people, 8 were male and 6 were female. All residents were born in County Galway, unless stated otherwise. Thomas Kelly, Andrew Kelly and Mary J. Cummings were Roman Catholics, while the other residents were members of the Church of Ireland.
Each house was listed as a private dwelling and Hubert Satchwell was the landholder for each one. There was a total of 17 farm steadings all belonging to Hubert Satchwell. The census forms were collected on the 7th of April.
Thomas Kelly (62) was an unmarried agricultural labourer. He lived with his unmarried brother Andrew (45). Andrew also worked as an agricultural labourer. Both Thomas and Andrew could read and write. Irish and English was spoken by Thomas and Andrew. Thomas and Andrew were born in County Galway and were Roman Catholic. The brothers lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. Permanent material was used to construct the walls of the house, while the roof was made using perishable material. Hubert Satchwell was the landholder.
Hubert Satchwell (52) lived with his wife Anne (37), their 3 daughters, Annie K. (12), Georgina F. (10) and Mary E. (8), their 5 sons, Thomas (11), Hubert W. (7), Ralph Wm. (5), Robert H. (3) and George F. (1), governess Emily Galway (23) and domestic servant Mary J. Cummings (21). Hubert listed his occupation as farmer and I.P., his 5 eldest children were scholars. All members of the family could read and write, except Ralph, Robert and George who were too young at the time of the census. No language was listed for any member of the household, suggesting they spoke English only. Hubert (52) was born in County Roscommon, Emily Galway was born in County Sligo and Mary J. Cummings was born in County Longford. The other members of the family were born in County Galway. All members of the family were members of the Church of Ireland, except Mary J. Cummings who was Roman Catholic. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 5 front windows and 13 rooms. Permanent material was used to construct both the walls and the roof of the house. Hubert owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 harness house, 3 cow houses, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 2 fowl houses, 1 boiling house, 1 barn, 1 turf house, 1 workshop, 1 shed, 1 forge and 1 laundry.
There were just 2 houses in Moneenroe in 1911. The heads of the households were Hubert Satchwell and Andrew Kelly. The total population was 8 people, 5 were male and 3 were female. All residents were born in County Galway. All occupants of House 1 were members of the Church of Ireland, while Andrew Kelly was a Roman Catholic.
Each house was listed as a private dwelling. There were 15 farm steadings, all belonging to House 1. The census forms were collected on the 5th of April.
Hubert Satchwell (63) lived with his wife of 24 years Anne (47), their 2 daughters Anne Kathleen (20) and Mary Elizabeth (18) and their 3 sons, Thomas (21), Hubert Walker (17) and Ernest Edward (8). Hubert and Anne had 9 children, all of whom were living in 1911. Hubert listed his occupation as farmer and I.P. Annie and Mary were listed as farmer’s daughters. Thomas, Hubert (17) and Ernest were farmer’s son. All members of the family could read and write. No language was listed for any family member, suggesting they spoke English only. The family were members of the Church of Ireland. The Satchwell family lived in a 1st class house with 5 front windows and 12 rooms. Permanent material was used for the walls and the roof of the house. Hubert owned the land on which his house was situated along with 2 stables, 1 coach house, 1 harness house, 2 cow houses, 1 calf house, 1 dairy, 1 fowl house, 1 boiling house, 1 barn, 1 workshop, 1 shed, 1 store and 1 forge.
Andrew Kelly (69) was an unmarried labourer who lived alone. Andrew could read and write, and he spoke both Irish and English. He lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and just 1 room. The walls and the roof of the house were made using permanent material. Hubert Satchwell was the landholder.