Ballyterrim lies in the south east of the civil parish of Killallaghtan, barony of Clonmacnowen, Co Galway. It is bounded by Park, Cooltymurraghty and Cartron townlands in the said parish. It is also bounded by Ardrannybeg and Ardrannymore in the parish of Clontooskert, and by Ballyyloogue in the parish of Killoran, all in the barony of Cloonmacnoon. It is bounded by Coolinny East, Coolinny West and Coxtown in the parish of Kiltormer and barony of Longford.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give other spellings of this townland: Bel Aith Tuirriam, Ballybrim, Bellaturriam, Ballytereum and Belatiriane.
Down Survey map show this townland under the name ‘Ballentobber’ was owned by Edmund Kelly, a catholic in 1641. It was owned by Redmond Magrath and James Hiffemon, both catholic in 1670. It states there were 36 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 47 plantation acres of profitable land and 47 plantation acres of forfeited land.
There were 6 houses in Ballyterrim in 1901. There were 39 residents in total. 17 were male and 22 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were Ellen Larkin, Martin Hopps, John Monahan, Mary Kelly, Maria Keenan and Julie Kelly. The census taken on the 4th of April 1901 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. Ellen Larkin’s and Julie Kelly’s house roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles. The other house roofs were made with perishable material.
Ellen Larkin (80) was a widow. Ellen and her sons Bernard (56) and Martin (44) were farmers. There was no occupation recorded for her daughter Mary Anne (50). Bernard (56), Mary Anne (50), Martin (44) and Peter (18) were all single. Ellen’s son Mathew (46) was married to Mary (40). He was recorded as a blacksmith (master). They had 9 children. Peter (18) was an apprentice blacksmith. Bernard (16), Martin (14) Mary Anne (13), John (11) and Mathew (8) were scholars. Michael (4), Ellen (2) and Patrick (7 months) could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. Ellen (80) could speak Irish. The entire family could speak English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 6 rooms, 4 front windows and 7 outhouses. Ellen Larkin owned the land the house was situated on.
Patrick Hurney (25) was single. He worked as a blacksmith. He could read, write and speak Irish and English.
Martin Hopps (63) and his brother Michael (61) were farmers. There was no occupation recorded for their sister Catherine (56). All 3 occupants were single. They could not read. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 2 outhouses. Martin Hopps owned the land the house was situated on.
John Monahan (70) was a farmer. There was no occupation recorded for his wife Bridget (46). They could not read. They had 5 children. They could read and write. Michael (27), Margaret (16) and Bridget (13) were single. Kate (12) and Eliza (11) were scholars. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows and 3 outhouses. John Monahan owned the land the house was situated on.
Mary Kelly (90) was a widow. She could speak Irish and English. She had 3 unmarried children: Anne (45), Patrick (40) and Catherine (37). Mary and Patrick could not read. Anne and Catherine could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows and 4 outhouses. Mary Kelly owned the land the house was situated on.
Maria Keenan (40) was a widow. She was a farmer. She had 4 daughters. Essie (10) and Mary (9) were scholars. Margaret (6) and Bridget (5) could not read. The rest of the family could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms, 3 front windows and 1 outhouse. Maria Keenan owned the land the house was situated on.
Julia Kelly (40) was married. She had 3 children. Mary (17) was single. Laurence (13) was a scholar. Katie (7) could not read. The rest of the family could read, write and speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows. There were no outhouses recorded. James Ryan owned the land the house was situated on.
The census gives no information on who lived in this town land in 1911