Cartron lies in the most eastern part of the civil parish of Killallaghtan barony Clonmacnowen Co Galway. It is bounded by Ballyterrin, Cooltymurraghty and Lissawolaun in this parish and by Lissheenaannogue Clancarty, Lissheenavannogue Blake, Gurteenaveela and Ardrannybeg in the parish of Clontooskert, all in the barony of Cloonmacnoon.
O’Donovan’s Field Name books give no other spelling of this townland.
Down Survey map show this townland under the name ‘Bog’ was owned by Common Land, in 1641. It was owned by Edmund Donnellan, a protestant in 1670. It states there were 357 plantation acres of unprofitable land. There were 7 plantation acres of profitable land and 7 plantation acres of forfeited land.
Thomas Cooney (80) was single. He could not read. He could speak Irish and English. He was Roman Catholic. He was born in Co Galway. He lived in a 3rd class house with 1 room and 1 front window. There were no outhouses recorded. This was the only house recorded in Cartron in 1901. The census taken on the 12th of April 1901 show the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The house roof was made with slate, iron or tiles.
Catherine Coghlan (82) was a widow. Her daughter Maggie (35) was married for 7 years to Michael Gavin (36). He was recorded as a medical doctor. Their daughter Mary was 8 months old. John Connolly (45) was single. He was recorded as a farm servant. Michael and Maggie could read and write. The rest of the family could not read. The entire family were Roman Catholic. Michael was born in Co Clare. The rest of household were born in Co Galway. They lived in a 1st class house with 12 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 14 outhouses: 2 stables, 2 coach houses, 2 cow houses, 1 calf house, 2 piggeries, 1 fowl house, 1 boiling house, 1 barn and 2 sheds. This was the only house recorded in Cartron in 1911. The census taken in April 1911 show the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The house roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. Andrew Moran owned the land the house was situated on.
Add a comment about this page