Woodberry is situated in a north east part of the civil parish of Killallaghtan barony of Kilconnell Co Galway. It is bounded by Hazelfort and Ballanful townlands.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give another spelling of this townland: Baile na Cloiche.
Down Survey map gives no information on who owned this land in the 1600s.
There were 4 houses in Woodberry in 1901. 1 house was uninhabited. It was owned by J Daby. The other 3 houses had 11 residents in total: 4 were male and 7 were female. The heads of the households were: John McGann, Margaret Davy and Michael Connolly. The census taken on the 4th of April 1901 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. John McGann’s house roof was made with perishable material. The other house roofs were made with slate, iron or tiles.
John McGann (32) was a farmer. There was no occupation recorded for his wife Ellen (27). They could read and write. Their children: Mary Anne (7), Michael (5), Agnes (3) and John (1) could not read or write. The entire family were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms, 2 front windows and 3 outhouses. John McGann owned the land the house was situated on.
Margaret Davy (35) and her sister Kate (34) were both recorded as ‘Gentlewoman’. Bridget Doyle (33) was recorded as a house/parlour maid. Mary Hughes (40) was a cook. She could speak Irish and English. She could read only. The rest of the household could read and write. Bridget Doyle was born in Co Carlow. The rest of the household were born in Co Galway. The entire household were unmarried. They were Catholic. They lived in a 1st class house with 11 rooms, 6 front windows and 20 outhouses. JJ Davy owned the land the house was situated on.
Michael Connolly (55) was single. He worked as a coachman/domestic servant. He was Roman Catholic. He could not read or write. He could speak Irish and English. He lived in a 3rd class house with 1 room and 1 front window. There were no outhouses recorded. JJ Dooly owned the land the house was situated on.
The census gives no information on who lived in this town land in 1911.