Tooree lies in the south west of the civil parish of Killallaghtan barony of Kilconnell Co Galway. It is bounded by Rooaun, Cappataggul and Brackloon in the said barony and by Poulathalugga, Ballydonnellan East and Shanballycoleman in the barony of Cloonmacnoon.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give these other spellings of this townland: Tuar Righ and Toree.
Down Survey map gives no information on who owned this land in the 1600s.
The census gives no information on who lived in this townland in 1901.
There were 2 houses in Tooree in 1911. There were 8 residents in total: 6 were male and 2 were female. All residents were Roman Catholic. They were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: John Campbell and James O’Brien. The census taken on the 10th of April 1911 show the houses were built as private dwellings. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. James O’Brien’s house roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. John Campbell roof was made with perishable material.
John Campbell (34) worked as a farmer. He was married for 6 years to Mary (34). There was no occupation recorded for Mary. They had 4 children with 2 living in 1911. John James (5) was a scholar. Patrick was 1 month old. They could not read or write. John and Mary could read, write and speak Irish and English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 3 front windows, 1 cow house and 1 shed. John Campbell owned the land the house was situated on.
James O’Brien (48) worked as a farmer. He was married for 7 years to Nora (30). There was no occupation recorded for Nora. They had 3 children with 2 living in 1911: Patrick (6) and Thomas (2). Nora could read and write. The rest of the family could not read or write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 2 front windows, 1 fowl house and 1 shed. George Kerr Mahon owned the land the house was situated on.
Add a comment about this page