Poppyhill is situated in the south of the civil parish of Killalaghtan barony of Kilconnell Co Galway. It is bounded by Lissacullaan and Chelsea townlands in the same barony. It is bounded by Ballydonnellan East in Cloonmacnoon barony in this parish and by Poppyhill in the parish of Killoran and barony of Longford.
O’Donavan’s Field Name Books give two other spellings of this townland: Cnocan a huboil and Cnocan a hioboil
Down Survey map show this land under the name ‘Clonloghane’ was owned by Bryan McDonnell, (Catholic) in 1641. It was owned by Edward Eyres, (Catholic) and Sir James Cuffe, (Protestant) in 1670.
The census gives no information on who lived in this townland in 1901 and 1911.