Brackloon is situated in the civil parish of Killallaghlan barony of Kilconnell Co Galway. It lies in the south of the parish and is bounded by Chelsea and Tooree in the said barony and by Poulathlugga and Tooreenard in the barony of Cloonmacnoon. It also shares a border with Ballydonnellan East and Gorteenawillin.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give these other spellings of this townland: Breac Cluain, Brackloune and Breackluone.
Down Survey Map gives no information on who owned this land in the 1600s.
The census gives no information on who lived on this land in 1901
There was only 1 house in Brackloon, Killallaghlan in 1911. There were 7 residents in total: 4 were male and 3 were female. All residents were Roman Catholic. All were born in Co Galway except for John Joseph O’Sullivan. He was born in Co Limerick. The census taken on the 10th of April 1911 show the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with slate, iron or tiles. The head of the household was Patrick Dillon.
Patrick Dillon (63) worked as a herd. He was married for 34 years to Mary (64). There was no occupation recorded for Mary. They had 7 children with 7 living in 1911. Recorded were their 4 unmarried children. Thomas (32) and John (31) were recorded as herds. Lizzie (24) and Ellie (23) had no occupations recorded for them. Boarder John Joseph O’Sullivan (25) was single. He was recorded as a national school teacher. All occupants could read and write for except Mary. She could read only. They lived in a 2ndclass house with 4 rooms and 5 front windows. There were 6 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed. John Smyth owned the land the house was situated on.